Brewer Fanatic

Project the Opening Day 25-man Roster

JJHardy7

Because we have Gamel as out starting third baseman in Nashville. Which means that McGehee would have to play regularly at some other position, which wouldn't prepare him to replace Hall if need be.

True, but McGehee would sit on the bench in Milwaukee also, so that wouldn't prepare him to replace Hall if need be. And both McGehee and Hall are RH hitters, so it wouldn't make much sense to spell Hall with McGehee when they face tough righties. So it's a no-win situation with McGehee - wherever they put him he won't play. They can't even stick him at AA because Taylor Green will be there. On the other hand, it's kind of nice when your 3B depth from the majors to AA is Bill Hall, Mat Gamel, and Taylor Green, and a guy like McGehee is only being considered for bench duty anywhere. That's progress.

Hopefully Hall reverts back to 2006 form, which would make all of this moot.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no way they can roll with Lamb and Nelson as backup outfielders.

MaGehee was an OF in college. I can't for the life of me figure out why he isn't getting time in the OF right now. I have no problem with Hart in CF. He has always played better in CF than RF. Hart's career UZR/150 is pretty good, its better than Gwynn's. That shouldn't be suprising, Hart has awesome speed, and many OFs think its easier to judge flyballs in CF.

Briggs is right, if you keep Lamb, its over Duffy, not MaGehee. Nelson can play the corner OF spot just fine. He has a better arm than most LFs.

Duffy is so much more versatile. He could spell Cameron as a lefty complement, and leadoff if Weeks is off on the same day in a Sunday lineup.
If Weeks gets a day off, its going to be against RHP, so Counsel would be getting the start at 2B. Counsel is a good OBA guy, and a pretty good baserunner, would he just bat leadoff?

An OF of Braun, Hart , Nelson is just as appealing to me as Braun , Duffy, Hart. Duffy won't hit much in the regular season, I'm guessing he'll continue to be sub-700 OPS, and it wouldn't suprise me if Nelson could be an 800 OPS guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I really, really hope Brad is the LHPH as well gets a weekly start (or so).

Keeping Lamb with Duffy seems to make sense.

If Gwynn cleared waivers, would he agree to a minor league placement? Is that where the 72-hour rule comes in?

If Gwynn cleared waivers, would he agree to a minor league placement? Is that where the 72-hour rule comes in?
Would we want Gwynn on the AAA bench? Theres no starting spot for him there, and he would be 1 of the 2 worst hitters on the roster with Jason Bouguois. If Gwynn wants to play fulltime, he'd have to go to Huntesville.

I think the Brewers are just posturing about the Gwynn situation to try to pry something in trade out of a team that overvalues his name.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

My point is that McGehee won't be of any use to us playing an off position down in AAA. If he is in the majors, he can get starts at 3b, 2b, and 1b. He could even possibly play catcher or outfield in a pinch. He would also be the only right-handed bat off our bench, except for Rivera. That could be crucial late in games. With Duffy seeing all the playing time even since Gwynn has come back, it just seems to me that they will just DFA Gwynn and see what happens. I'm guessing that they expect him to clear waivers and be assigned to AAA. Nelson has also presumably locked up one of the outfield spots, so it seems to me that the only real competition that is left is between Lamb and McGehee. My choice is McGehee.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I feel REAL confident that Nelson has locked up a spot, but it seems Duffy and McGehee are still up in the air which sucks. Seeing TGJ's name on the 25 man roster might make me throw up a little but in mouth.
That cannot taste goodhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

I'd probably be more pissed to see McGehee sent out then Duffy. McGehee really deserves a spot on this roster. Duffy and Gwynn are basically the same player. Duffy hasn't played a significantly in over a year, and Gwynn is just coming off injury. Overall, I think they'd put up similar numbers in the majors. Neither would see a ton of playing time.

I feel REAL confident that Nelson has locked up a spot, but it seems Duffy and McGehee are still up in the air which sucks. Seeing TGJ's name on the 25 man roster might make me throw up a little but in mouth.
That cannot taste goodhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif
Haha, fixed. And it didn't taste good.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42089292.html

According to Tom Haudricourt's Brewers Blog, DiFelice has won a bullpen job with his latest performance. I assume if this is true, Jorge Julio is the odd man out. That would be a good thing as the Brewers need to focus more on consistency instead of potential at this point. I would also like to see DiFelice become the long man out of the pen, allowing McClung to be groomed as the future set up man/closer for the team.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42089292.html

According to Tom Haudricourt's Brewers Blog, DiFelice has won a bullpen job with his latest performance. I assume if this is true, Jorge Julio is the odd man out. That would be a good thing as the Brewers need to focus more on consistency instead of potential at this point. I would also like to see DiFelice become the long man out of the pen, allowing McClung to be groomed as the future set up man/closer for the team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think at this point all it means that with Hoffman on the shelf and likely headed to the DL that both DiFelice and Julio will make the team to begin the season

Would we want Gwynn on the AAA bench? Theres no starting spot for him there, and he would be 1 of the 2 worst hitters on the roster with Jason Bouguois. If Gwynn wants to play fulltime, he'd have to go to Huntesville.

I think the Brewers are just posturing about the Gwynn situation to try to pry something in trade out of a team that overvalues his name.

Bourguois isn't that bad a AAA hitter and he can play IF and OF. Adam Stern is another okay AAA backup OF, so you're point that they don't need Gwynn even at AAA is a valid one.

I think that McGehee has to make the team so that we have a right-handed bat coming off of the bench besides Rivera. I also think that Gwynn will make the team ahead of Duffy because I believe Duffy is on a minor league contract (correct me if I am wrong). It would be the easiest way to keep both players.

I just got back from Spring Training, and from watching Tony Gwynn try and hit, he looks totally lost in the batter's box. He did not even come close to putting a ball in play. All of his swings were either foul balls, check swing strikes, or whiffs. I don't know what he did on Friday, but I was at the Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday games.

Other things I noticed:

Hardy looked locked in at the plate. He is going to have a big year, I think. He did however have 2 or 3 pretty boneheaded baserunning mistakes.

Hart also looked good.

McGehee was crushing the ball at the plate, but he had a few misplays in the field. I think trying to play multiple positions is confusing him.

Weeks has been having quality at bats.

Bill Hall looks like the Bill Hall of last year. Still swinging at pitches low and away.

Duffy looks good on defense. He made a nice running catch in left field in the Giants game yesterday.

Prince does look a little thinner, and he absolutely crushed a home run completely out of the ballpark at Maryvale. The wind was blowing out of right, but it was still pretty impressive.

The other prospects didn't get much playing time, so I don't really know what to say about Nelson and Escobar. Escobar made a few nice plays in the field, but he didn't have many chances.

Pitching was pretty bad on Wednesday and Thursday. Parra threw a ton of pitches early, and Looper got rocked. Saturday and Sunday were much better. Suppan pitched into the 7th inning, I believe, and DiFelice looked like he belongs in the starting rotation with the way he pitched yesterday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42138767.html

There's the link. However, all this really tells me is that Lamb and Nelson have made the team. McGehee appears to be headed to AAA if Counsell doesn't need surgery. At least he said that there is still a competition between Duffy and Gwynn. We can still hope that Gwynn gets DFA'd.

If Counsell needs surgery, do we need to get Hall some time at shortstop this week? I would assume that if Hardy came out of a game, Billy would make more sense than McGehee at short to finish the game.

Who is the backup at 2b (if Counsell is on the DL)? McGehee?

GormanHarvey[/b]]
yount19[/b]]http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42089292.html

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think at this point all it means that with Hoffman on the shelf and likely headed to the DL that both DiFelice and Julio will make the team to begin the season

Looks like you're right, but I would still hope that the team sticks with DiFelice when Hoffman comes back. I hope Julio pitches well in the the games he's in, but I just feel he's too much of a risk over DiFelice.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42228547.html

One debate is over. McGehee is in, Lamb is out. And it also looks like Nelson and Duffy are in, and Gwynn is out. I would also assume that Counsell will be good to go. This pleases me to say the least. It's about time that this team keeps the 25 best players in the majors.

Archived