Brewer Fanatic

Project the Opening Day 25-man Roster

JJHardy7
I don't know what kind of chance he has, but I'd like to see DiFelice make the roster. Today's 4 shutout innings against a darn good Venezuelan lineup (Abreu, Cabrera, Ordonez, Carlos Guillen, Mora, etc) only confirmed this for me. I don't know what more he has to do...2.84 ERA, 20 K / 4 BB in 19 MLB IP last year coming on the heels of some incredible minor league numbers over the past two years. I know people point to his age and his middling velocity, but the guy flat continues to miss bats and not walk anybody. This guy really isn't better than the Jorge Julio, Todd Coffeys of the world?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This guy really isn't better than the Jorge Julio, Todd Coffeys of the world?

Darn tootin'. He's also almost certainly better than the Jeff Suppans of the world, but that the club should recognize that is a pipe dream. He has options left, so they'll probably leave him off the 25 man to start the season, which in my view is completely stupid. We're a borderline contender this year. Every inning wasted on a useless veteran retread for the sake of conventional wisdom ought to be taken to be a rather more precious commodity than I think it will be. Radar guns do not tell the whole story.

Speaking of Nelson...Has anyone seen him play 3rd base? Baseball-reference has him at 25 games played in the minors at the position. If he could be at least serviceable there, I could see Lamb as being the odd man out.

I've seen him. He's alright there. I wouldn't have him split time there or anything. He'll make plays on everything he can get to, but his range would not be all that great. He could be a 3rd 3b...in other words if there's an injury or two or a spot where you need a LHB and keep him in the field somewhere late in the game you could and it'd work out alright. It helps him as a utility guy a little bit, but not enough to help him make the team or not.

I was just looking through pictures of the Indians game and Brad Nelson doesn't look all that thin. He's still got a double chin. Maybe he's thinner, I don't know.

He's lost weight. I'm not saying he's going to be light on his feet or anything. I think as time goes on he'll lose a bit more. The problem/issue with him is he needs some type of role. There was a great article on the JS about him a few days ago. I think he could start in the league as an OF if he was paired with two other above average fielders. If Carlos Lee and Manny can do it, I think Brad can. I do think his long-term future is at 1b. Him being able to play the OF may help him make this team as the 5th OF. He won't start a ton of games, but will get a lot of PH opportunities. I think too many people are forgettnig all the times Counsell came up late in games as the PH. I'd much rather have Nelson. It's not a knock on Craig. He just doesn't have any power.

I like Nelson's medium-power lefty bat off the bench to pinch hit and spot start in Right.

And give Prince a few days off/provide depth in case of injury. If Rivera is going to play more this year, Nelson can fill in at 1B on Prince's few days off.

I would not consider Nelson being cut and being picked up by another team, or Green not making the opening day roster a major loss. We are talking about a couple of players here that will occupy the last two roster spots on about half of the teams in baseball, and its not the playoff caliber half.

He would be picked up and probably play quite a bit for half the teams in the league. I would look at that thread of 'top 44 worst contracts in history' or whatever and look at some of the 1b on that list. Nelson is cheap and can put up numbers that good or better. There's no way he doesn't get picked up. Are you forgetting about the injury he had years back and how long it takes to come back from that? He's raked the past two years. You're off on your playoff caliber half. Brad has already been on a 25-man roster in the playoffs.

Nelson has one skill, hitting for power and that is all that he does. He is a liability in the outfield and the only place worth putting him in the field is at first base. Prince should easily be able to play 150 to 162 games barring injury. On his days off you can use Rivera or Lamb as his backup. He is definitely not the guy you want as your last option in the outfield. I would much rather have a player with versatility take his place like Iribarren. Nelson is scrap heap material for many major league clubs. He is Russell Branyon 2.0 without the ability to play 3b.

Have you seen him play in the OF? There's no way he's that much of a liability. If you want the light hitting Hurrican stepping up with the game on the line to PH, that's fine. That's the type of move playoff teams do not do. Your value on Nelson is way too low. There's no way he doesn't make this team as well he should. If he doesn't, I have no clue what this team is doing. Having a power hitting LH bat on the bench is not a bad thing. Why is he 'definitely not the guy you want as your last option in the outfield'? He may start 10 - 15 games all year, but his value will be as a PH. What's the big deal with that? There's no way the Hurricane makes this team and at best the Hurricane is a poor man's Counsell. I like the Hurricane, but he has little or no value as a PH...and that's what roster spot we're talking about.

We've wondered why Irribarren hasn't gotten more of an oppurtunity so far, and now today he gets a suprise start at 3B. Does he really have the arm to be considered an option there? With McGehee and Lamb available, I wouldn't think they're just filling a spot unless they consider him a serious option there. Is the team unimpressed with Mike Lamb?

Nelson starting in LF, that should be an everyday occurence as we try to sort out this bench.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Great post JJHardy7!! Another big thing Nellie has going for himself right now is that Macha really seems to like him and Macha said it was his job to come to camp without any preconceived notions about any of the players. So I would so that definitely points to what Nelson has accomplished so far in camp. I really don't see how he can't make the team. I think him and Duffy will both make it.

I am soo completely unimpressed with Lamb. He looks stiff in the field, has a marginal arm, and at the plate completely reminds me of Counsell when he is at his worst - playing pepper with the 2nd baseman. I truly hope McGehee makes it over Lamb

I am soo completely unimpressed with Lamb. He looks stiff in the field, has a marginal arm, and at the plate completely reminds me of Counsell when he is at his worst - playing pepper with the 2nd baseman. I truly hope McGehee makes it over Lamb
But McGehee making the team just doesn't make sense in the context of this roster. Bill Hall needs a platoon partner, and I don't think Craig Counsell should be it. McGehee is another righty bat, like Hall. Lamb is a career .281/.336/.422 hitter against righties...not spectacular by any means, but much better than you can reasonably expect out of any of our other options. McGehee has barely put up lines like that in the minor leagues.

By no means am I a Counsell fan, but I would take him over Lamb platooning with Hall any day - especially defensively. And I don't necessarily think that 3rd base is going to be a platoon. I really think Hall is going to step up and take the reins this year. Plus Counsell looks rejuinated now that he has a normal stance and has his hands down where they should be. So then you have Counsell to back up at 3rd, SS, and 2nd. And if you are of the opinion like I am that Duffy and Nelson are going to be the 2 backup outfielders it would make sense to have another righty on the bench when the predominantly right handed normal starting lineup is out there because your only RH PH option on those days is Rivera if McGehee doesn't make the team. So IMO McGehee making the roster makes a ton of sense; especially seeing he has some pop. And I don't get the sense that Macha has been real impressed with Lamb - I know I sure haven't been. He looks old, stiff and slow.

But McGehee making the team just doesn't make sense in the context of this roster. Bill Hall needs a platoon partner, and I don't think Craig Counsell should be it. McGehee is another righty bat, like Hall.
I agree with this. Even if its only a part time platoon, a lefty hitting 3B is needed. Its hard to see how McGehee is any better than Adam Heether.
And I don't get the sense that Macha has been real impressed with Lamb - I know I sure haven't been. He looks old, stiff and slow.
I agree with this too. Lamb was awful for Minnesota last year, and needs to hit alot to make up for his defense. I'm skeptical if he can still do that. I find it interesting that Irribarren started at 3B today, but I'm not sure he's a better hitter than Counsell, at least not yet. Irribarren is a speed option off the bench, but he negates that by being an inefficient base stealer.

And if you are of the opinion like I am that Duffy and Nelson are going to be the 2 backup outfielders it would make sense to have another righty on the bench when the predominantly right handed normal starting lineup is out there because your only RH PH option on those days is Rivera if McGehee doesn't make the team
I do agree we need a RH hitter, but McGehee hasn't played the OF, where a RH bench bat could split time with Nelson if any of our 3 starters were injured. He just isn't a good fit, and isn't that inspiring of a hitter either.

After sorting through this roster time and again, I'm coming to the conclusion that it is impossible to predict the 25 man roster, because the players who will form our bench aren't on the team yet. Counsel is the reserve middle infielder, and Nelson has stepped up to grap the most important role on the bench, the lefty swinging power bat, but none of our other options fit our needs. I think Melvin will be busy in the weeks ahead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Bullpen-

- Hoffman

- Riske

- McClung

- Villanueva

- Stetter

- Coffey

- Julio-DiFelice- Morlan (Morlan is the rule 5 guy so if he doesn't make the roster, he will be back with TB. I really see Julio making the team here with DiFelice starting the year in Nashville)

Aguilar should be really good as well but needs some more experience in the Minors.

By no means am I a Counsell fan, but I would take him over Lamb platooning with Hall any day - especially defensively.
I don't know that Lamb is necessarily the answer, I'm not thrilled with him. Maybe X is right and Melvin picks up another bat yet this spring. But I think you're reading to much into very limited spring training data. Counsell will still be Counsell -- if lowering his hands will make that big a difference, he would have done it 10 years ago. And McGehee has yet to show a lot of pop in his career -- a career .409 minor league slugging percentage doesn't do much for me, a couple ST HRs doesn't change that for me.

And even if 3B isn't a straight platoon -- and indications are that it won't be -- I think you still need a halfway decent lefty bat to face some of the tougher righties. Counsell just isn't that guy. He's a solid guy to have as an occasional spot starter at 3 different positions (particularly defensively), but I don't want to get back to that point again where he has a regular, near-everyday role somewhere (like being the lefty bat in a platoon situation, even if it's not a strict platoon).

I do agree with you though, the bench is looking awfully left-handed right now. I just don't think McGehee is the answer.

Prince should easily be able to play 150 to 162 games barring injury. On his days off you can use Rivera or Lamb as his backup.
Agreed on Rivera. The few games that Prince does get off, I would assume they would be against the lefties that have shown they are especially tough on Prince, so I would hope that Rivera, a right handed stick, gets the call and not Nelson as others are mentioning in their posts. Nelson's spot starts will be coming in for Hart, imo.

I do agree with you though, the bench is looking awfully left-handed right now....
Of course this assumes Macha will run the team like Yost, with the same lineup every day regardless of circumstance. I realize Macha has supposedly said he's not a platoon guy, but if 3B does go as a platoon situation, then Bill Hall will be sitting down most games. That's your right handed power bat on the bench.

I am hopeful Macha is not Yost 2.0. A good manager rarely uses the same lineup everyday. It's conceivable there will be at least two lefty's in the lineup many days against righty pitching, with Macha rotating the lefty bench in and out. That puts a righty on the bench for PH.

I do agree with you though, the bench is looking awfully left-handed right now. I just don't think McGehee is the answer.
Yeah, I guess I was just going off the people that are in camp right now. Melvin may very well find the answer we are looking for outside of the organization. McGehee did drive in 92 runs at AAA last year and he has shown decent gap and some HR power and is a good defender so I think we could do worse. I totally agree that we don't want Counsell playing more often than not. But at the same time we have seen what Counsell can contribute with his defense and clutch hitting/good AB's and I don't feel like Lamb offers much in either department. I guess I am just somewhat intrigued by McGehee. He has not seemed overmatched. Ultimately I will just be very disappointed if Lamb makes the team because I think the Brewers can do much better

Okay, ask me how I like Melvin, and usually I'll gush. But I think he has bliners on when it comes to DiFelice. We need guys in the bullpen who can log multiple innings, and guys like Julio are not going to get it done. I'm also pro-Nelson and believe that the Brewers have to do a better job at giving their marginal prospects a shot. I like McGehee over Lamb because of defense, but realize we might be forced to keep Lamb for other reasons.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Looks like the starters are pretty much locked in (assuming Looper is healthy)

Bench:
C - Mike Rivera
IF - Craig Counsell
OF - Bench BU #1 - NEED: Must be able to backup CF
---Nixon, Duffy, TGJ. - Looks like Duffy is leading the pack, but I'm hoping for a trade to fill this spot...
IF - Bench BU #2 - NEED: Probably a loose platoon at 3B
---Lamb, McGehee, Nelson, Gamel, Irribarren - I would think Lamb is the front-runner (LHB, major league bat experience). Gamel may come up in 2-3 months.
IF/OF - Bench BU #3 - NEED: Options open.
---Nelson, Irribarren - I tend to lean for Nelson here, but his backing up Hart in RF scares me. Would them move Braun to RF for a game or two, so Nelson can be in LF?
Unless someone else is added later, Nelson's power wins this spot over others options here.

CP - Trevor Hoffman
RP - Carlos Villanueva
RP - David Riske
RP - Mitch Stetter
RP - Seth McClung
RP - RP Backup #1 &2 : don't see any specialization needed here, so just the best two:
---- Coffey, Julio, Dillon, Morlan, DiFelice, Swindle (Green, Wright: I really doubt they claimed these two to be RPs. Start them in AAA as SPs)
-For cost reasons, I only see one of Coffey/Julio making the team. My $ is on Coffey.
-For the last spot, I'd rooting for Dillard, but I'd bet on Morlan. It hurts on experience (as Macha seemed to indicate with pairing Gagne/Morlan), but it makes sense to have DiFelice, Dillard and Swindle in the minors for insurance policies. At the back-end of the BP, its better to have quantity, just because the quality of each is so close.

I'm hoping they can pawn Hall off on the Yankees now that A-Rod is out for a while. He's been about the worst offensive player in baseball for two years now. A platoon of McGehee/Lamb can't be much worse than Hall/Lamb, especially considering Gamel is likely up in a few months. I'd almost give Hall to the Yankees if they would take his entire contract off our books. Judging by Macha's comments that Hall would be our primary 3B, I doubt this will happen, but at least I can dream.

My scenario then would be

1B Fielder
2B Weeks
SS Hardy
3B McGehee/Lamb

LF Braun
CF Cameron
RF Hart

C Kendall

C Rivera
OF Duffy - primary backup defensive OF at all three positions
OF/1B Nelson
IF Counsell
IF McGehee/Lamb

IIRC, McGehee's splits are pretty even vs. RH/LH, so if Lamb is as bad as some have been hinting, we could get by with McGehee at 3B, occasionally being spelled by Counsell. This would save room for another bat off the bench. It would be best if this were a RH infielder, and I don't know who in our system would fit that bill. With that said, we're probably better off keeping Lamb and running a platoon.

As far as pitching goes, the rotation is pretty much set (except for how long Looper will be out), and the 'pen is somewhat of a crapshoot after the top few, so I won't make a guess at that other than to say that DiFilice deserves the "long man" role and now that we've got Green and Chase Wright in the AAA rotation as insurance until Cappy's ready, I hope he gets a shot. At his age, there's not much financial risk to having him on the roster. If he and Green would both play equally, I'd say play DiFilice this year, keeping Green in the minors, giving us one more year of his services, hopefully as a low-priced starter in the future.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

C: Kendall

1B: Fielder

2B: Weeks

3B: Hall

SS: Hardy

LF: Braun

CF: Cameron

RF: Hart

BN: Rivera

BN: Counsell

BN: Nelson

BN: Duffy

BN: McGehee

SP: Gallardo

SP: Parra

SP: Bush

SP: Looper

SP: Suppan

RP: McClung

RP: Villanueva

RP: Stetter

RP: Riske

RP: Coffey

RP: DiFelice

CP: Hoffman

This morning's paper quotes Macha saying Counsell is ahead of Lamb. That sounds like an either/or situation to me.

I believe Counsell signed a major league deal, so I doubt there's any chance that he gets cut, as the Brewers would still have to pay him. If he is the LH part of a 3B platoon (even a "soft platoon"), and Lamb is not on the team, we will likely need another middle infielder on the 25-man. Would we be better with Hernan on the team instead of Lamb?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This morning's paper quotes Macha saying Counsell is ahead of Lamb. That sounds like an either/or situation to me.

I believe Counsell signed a major league deal, so I doubt there's any chance that he gets cut, as the Brewers would still have to pay him. If he is the LH part of a 3B platoon (even a "soft platoon"), and Lamb is not on the team, we will likely need another middle infielder on the 25-man. Would we be better with Hernan on the team instead of Lamb?

I've noticed spring training box scores have been showing McGehee taking some late game innings at 2B. Anyone who has seen the games, how does he look over there?

(Assuming everyone is healthy, I'll jump on the mcnaulty21 line-up bandwagon)

How has Trot Nixon been this spring? It seems most are writing him off completely.
He has not been to good from what I have read and heard. Not even close to swinging the bat like Duffy and Nelson. I heard Haudricourt on the D-List this morning on 540 AM and he said that Duffy and Nelson seem to have all but locked up spots on the 25 man. If Nixon wants one he better start hitting fast and a lot.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived