Brewer Fanatic

Project the Opening Day 25-man Roster

JJHardy7

I haven't seen a thread like this or one that's been active for awhile. If I'm wrong, just delete it and I apologize. I'll take a shot at the opening day roster:

Starting Position Players:

C - Jason Kendall

1B - Prince Fielder

2B - Rickie Weeks

SS - JJ Hardy

3B - Bill Hall

LF- Ryan Braun

CF - Mike Cameron

RF - Corey Hart

Bench:

C - Mike Rivera

IF - Craig Counsell

OF - Chris Duffy

IF/OF - Brad Nelson

IF - Mike Lamb

Starting Pitchers:

SP - Yovani Gallardo

SP - Manny Parra

SP - Dave Bush

SP - Braden Looper

SP - Jeff Suppan

Relief Pitchers:

RP - Carlos Villanueva

RP - David Riske

RP - Mitch Stetter

RP - Seth McClung

RP - Toddy Coffey

RP - Nick Green

CP - Trevor Hoffman

I know my projection will be way off with what others here have and what probably happens. I think if TGJ is healthy and plays a bit before opening day he'll be on the roster. The bullpen for me is a crap shoot in the final spots. Nick Green has been playing well and has some potential upside, but I'm just taking a stab that they'll keep him on the 25 man. If Morlan pitches well, I have no clue what they'll do. I'd assume they'd keep him and try to determine what guys would clear waivers and not keep those players. It's nice to have a season where pretty much the major roles are filled and there's just a few spots left with some nice potential talent to fill those spots.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C - Jason Kendall

1B - Prince Fielder

2B - Rickie Weeks

SS - JJ Hardy

3B - Bill Hall

LF- Ryan Braun

CF - Mike Cameron

RF - Corey Hart

Bench:

C - Mike Rivera

IF - Craig Counsell

OF - Chris Duffy

IF/OF - Brad Nelson

IF - Casey McGehee (Need at least 1 right handed bat off bench other then Rivera, sorry Lamb)

Starting Pitchers:

SP - Yovani Gallardo

SP - Manny Parra

SP - Dave Bush

SP - Seth McClung

SP - Jeff Suppan

Relief Pitchers:

RP - Carlos Villanueva

RP - David Riske

RP - Mitch Stetter

RP - Nick Green

RP - Toddy Coffey

RP - Jorge Julio

CP - Trevor Hoffman

DL- Braden Looper (Once he comes off DL McClung back to pen, Looper to rotation, Green or Julio to AAA)

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Totally on board with you BCIn2004 except Julio - I just have a feeling he isn't going to make the team.

I wonder how hard they will have to think about keeping Morlan if he is solid all spring and same goes for Thorman - he has been hot but Macha seems to really like Nelson and so do I.

I dont see Nelson or Green making the team. Heres my 25mr: Kendall Fielder Weeks Hall Hardy Braun Cameron Hart Rivera Counsell Lamb Duffy ???? Gallardo Bush Parra Looper Suppan Hoffman Riske Julio Villanueva McClung Dillard Stetter That last outfield spot is a tough one. Gwynn is already hurting and doesnt have the skills to stick, Nixon is not really making his case, and guys like Cain wont benefit from sitting on the bench in the show when he could be getting more experience in AAA. I just dont know if Nelson can fill that spot rolling around like a big bowling ball in the OF. As for Green, he is barely a AAA 5th starter. He gets hit, a lot, everywhere he has been. Id say there is also the possibility of holding onto Chase Wright as another left hander in the BP.

I just dont know if Nelson can fill that spot rolling around like a big bowling ball in the OF.

I'm pretty sure Nelson can handle a backup OF spot. If he's the 5th OF/IF, he's going to see a lot of time as a PH. He also reported to camp in better shape. I'm not saying he'll win a gold glove, but your comment is far off IMO.

If making the team... Nelson wouldn't even see the outfield all too often. His spot starts would come at first base... and we would rarely see him spot Corey Hart. Otherwise, Duffy is going to be the primary backup outfielder. Hart, Cameron, and especially Braun won't see a lot of time on the bench this year. Nelson is a very nice lefty off the bench late in games... and I hope to see him, McGahee, and Duffy earn the final 3 bench spots.

same goes for Thorman - he has been hot but Macha seems to really like Nelson and so do I.

That's good to hear. I'd hate to have the new manager get all small-sample-y. I think JJ's 25-man in the lead post looks pretty accurate. To me, the two spots that aren't certain are the ones he has assigned to Coffey & Green... but imo there's really no way for us to know how the lower rungs of the bullpen are going to shake out right now. I hope Morlan earns one of those spots, since that would mean the braintrust has confidence in his ability to perform now -- and would make the loss of Luis Pena more tolerable.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think JJ's 25-man in the lead post looks pretty accurate. To me, the two spots that aren't certain are the ones he has assigned to Coffey & Green... but imo there's really no way for us to know how the lower rungs of the bullpen are going to shake out right now. I hope Morlan earns one of those spots, since that would mean the braintrust has confidence in his ability to perform now -- and would make the loss of Luis Pena more tolerable.

Those two were the ones that were tough for me. It looks like Mass corrected BA on Green's options. If he has options, there may be less of a need to keep him on the 25-man. I think part of the way it may work is who the Brewers think they can get to clear waivers/accept a spot in AAA. They certainly have depth there and it may be a good idea to try and keep it should some pitchers on the 25-man struggle.

I like the fact that the Brewers have Nixon, Duffy, and Nelson as OF bench options. I think all three have a lot to offer off the bench and at least 2 of these 3 should make the roster. McGehee certainly has been making a case for a roster spot.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I bet the Brewers want to get Green stretched out as a starter in AAA. If he can develop into at least a serviceable back of the rotation guy, that holds a lot more value in the long run than him occupying one of the last few spots in the bullpen out of camp.

If neither Gagne nor Looper are on the opening day roster, I would guess one of Coffey/Julio and two of Morlan/DiFelice/Swindle/Dillard/Gulin (in that order of likelihood) make the team. So the pitching staff would look like:

SP: Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, McClung

RP: Hoffman, Villanueva, Stetter, Riske and the three choices above

If Gagne makes the team, I think Coffey or Julio have a much tougher time breaking camp with the club. If Looper makes the team without Gagne, then only one of those guys from the second group would be likely to make it, IMO.

Barring any additional injuries, JJ's position players look about right to me.

There is the starting 8 plus Counsell and Rivera plus 12 pitchers. I don't have any strong sense of what will happen with pitching other than they'll probably keep a potential mid-season starter with an option like Green in AAA to keep him ready to go and working on things. That leaves 3 spots. Duffy sounds like he's leading the consideration for one spot. Nelson, Iribarren and Gwynn are all out of options (correct?), so they might have a bit of an edge over other choices. Gwynn sounds like he might have surgery. I don't know if that gives the team a way to stash him away, but I don't think he has a chance to be on the opening day 25. Maybe they can put him on the 25, but on the DL though.

I don't think they'll keep better prospects on the bench rather than playing regularly, so I'd guess no Gamel, Esco, LoCain or Angel.

That leaves Hernan, Big Brad, Trot who sounds like he's scuffling, and Casey McGehee. Who am I forgetting?

I guess if I had to call it, I'd say Brad and Casey get the last two spots.

Formerly AKA Pete

If Nelson doesn't make the team I see very little reason to think he'll still be in the Brewer system. Irribarren could make it through waivers at the cut down point and Gwynn looks to be headed to the 60 day DL. If Irribarren passes through waivers he stays with the brewers, Nelson though becomes a FA and you'd think he'd go someplace where he'd have a better shot at playing time.

If Nelson doesn't make the team I see very little reason to think he'll still be in the Brewer system. Irribarren could make it through waivers at the cut down point and Gwynn looks to be headed to the 60 day DL. If Irribarren passes through waivers he stays with the brewers, Nelson though becomes a FA and you'd think he'd go someplace where he'd have a better shot at playing time.
If Nelson doesn't make the team I'd bet Jack picks him up in Seattle. I'm sure he'll be looking for some depth behind the oft-injured Branyan.

Speaking of Nelson...Has anyone seen him play 3rd base? Baseball-reference has him at 25 games played in the minors at the position. If he could be at least serviceable there, I could see Lamb as being the odd man out.

Can anyone confirm that Counsell hasn't, in fact, taken PED's over the last few months? Sveum makes him change his stance and he is hitting at a .600 clip through spring thus far... and it hasn't all been off of minor league arms either... today's first inning double and run came off of last year's AL Cy Young winner.

Counsell already has one of the best OBP's on the team... with a .230 average. If he can prove his new stance is going to raise his average... me thinks Mike Lamb is going to have a hard time making the team...

Sveum makes him change his stance and he is hitting at a .600 clip through spring thus far... and it hasn't all been off of minor league arms either... today's first inning double and run came off of last year's AL Cy Young winner.
For some reason I remembered a few people saying similar things last year about him, so I decided to pull up last years spring training stats:

C Counsell .486AVG 17H 35AB [/pre]

I dont see Nelson or Green making the team. Heres my 25mr: Kendall Fielder Weeks Hall Hardy Braun Cameron Hart Rivera Counsell Lamb Duffy ???? Gallardo Bush Parra Looper Suppan Hoffman Riske Julio Villanueva McClung Dillard Stetter That last outfield spot is a tough one. Gwynn is already hurting and doesnt have the skills to stick, Nixon is not really making his case, and guys like Cain wont benefit from sitting on the bench in the show when he could be getting more experience in AAA. I just dont know if Nelson can fill that spot rolling around like a big bowling ball in the OF. As for Green, he is barely a AAA 5th starter. He gets hit, a lot, everywhere he has been. Id say there is also the possibility of holding onto Chase Wright as another left hander in the BP.
I'm glad you're not the Brewers' GM.

Nelson should be a lock to make the team. 1. He has no options left so we'll lose him if he's not on the big club's roster, 2. He showed enough promise last September to be added to the playoff roster, 3. He's raking in spring, and 4. He'd be almost an ideal 9th inning option off the bench against a right-handed closer (which constitutes a high majority of the majors). He has the power to tie the game with one swing of the bat, and if the closer doesn't give him much to swing at, plate discipline to give the Brewers a valuable base runner in that situation. You really feel comfortable calling upon Lamb of God, Duffy, and Counsell when ideally we could use a homer late? Yost calling on Counsell down 1 with 2 outs in the 9th last season was a nightmare.

The only case for Green not making the team is to get him stretched for the majors like Toby mentioned. The kid has had a fantastic spring and had the ability to be named the 8th best prospect in a pretty good Angels' system and a candidate for the rotation on an excellent Angels' team at 23. He had a mediocre season in AAA, but take it with a grain of salt (no pun intended, he played in Salt Lake) because he had to battle high elevation in his home park. Before that his ERA's were pretty solid when factoring in his age. Rarely will a pitcher with great control, decent fastball, and change of speeds not be able to help a major league club.

2b: Weeks

ss: Hardy

lf: Braun

1b: Fielder

cf: Cameron

rf: Hart

3b: Hall

c: Kendall

bench: Rivera, Lamb, Nelson, Counsell, Irribarren, McGehee

rotation: Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, Dillard

bullpen: Hoffman, Villanueva, Riske, Stetter, DiFelice, McClung

DL- Gwynn, Looper

McCalvy is saying on his blog that Iribarren still has an option left.
I just read that, too. He's right - the rule is, you get a fourth option year if you've exhausted three option years before your fifth full year as a pro. Going in to this season, Iribarren will only have four and change. Surprised that no one (including myself) picked up on that before now.

And this effectively drops the probability of Iribarren making the team to 0%.

I was just looking through pictures of the Indians game and Brad Nelson doesn't look all that thin. He's still got a double chin. Maybe he's thinner, I don't know.
Formerly AKA Pete

Bernman23 wrote: I'm glad you're not the Brewers' GM.

I would not consider Nelson being cut and being picked up by another team, or Green not making the opening day roster a major loss. We are talking about a couple of players here that will occupy the last two roster spots on about half of the teams in baseball, and its not the playoff caliber half.

Nelson has one skill, hitting for power and that is all that he does. He is a liability in the outfield and the only place worth putting him in the field is at first base. Prince should easily be able to play 150 to 162 games barring injury. On his days off you can use Rivera or Lamb as his backup. He is definitely not the guy you want as your last option in the outfield. I would much rather have a player with versatility take his place like Iribarren. Nelson is scrap heap material for many major league clubs. He is Russell Branyon 2.0 without the ability to play 3b.

As for Green, he is a bottom of the rotation guy, with average stuff, at his very best. And he blew his chance to prove he could be a bottom of the rotation guy last year in AAA. He pitches to contact and his only plus pitch is his change up. The Brewers already have 2 pitchers exactly like him in their starting rotation. And the spot where he may be most useful, is already occupied by Carlos Villanueva. Heck, if youre going to use that 24th spot on a pitcher like him, they might as well utilite a lefty like Wright instead.

I like Nelson's medium-power lefty bat off the bench to pinch hit and spot start in Right.
I agree. Now that Nelson has evolved into such a patient hitter, he is clearly our best bench bat. He should be the 1st PH off the bench against RHSP. His lack of defensive ability, combined with my desire to get the lead before the late innings, makes Nelson the guy I'd want to use as early as possible. He's not the defender Gabe Gross was, but he has a similar approach at the plate as Gross, and showed more power in the minors than Gross did.

My 2 concerns are a RH bat off the bench, and the fact the Macha talks about using Cory Hart in CF, but hasn't followed through on that. It would make it easier to fill out our bench if Hart is the backup CF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived