Brewer Fanatic

Dave Roberts?

Roberts is a below average defensive OF who can't hit at this point. I'd rather have Gwynn as the backup and I don't think Gwynn should make the team.

107 AB's last year is evidence he "can't hit at this point"? Look he's never been a great hitter at any point. But he's been an everyday leadoff hitter in the majors on playoff teams. He's certainly more accomplished than either Gwynn or Duffy. The question is that at soon to be 37, what does he have left? If it's close to his career norms, he's certainly worth the major league minimum the Brewers would have to cough up.

When the upside for a guy is slightly below average defense and a .700 ops... we already have 3 of those on the team fighting for the backup OF spots, and I'd say Nixon and Duffy have a shot at having bigger upsides.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

From 2002 to 2008 Roberts has had 2 productive years offensively and the last one was 2006. Add in below average defense and this player has basically no value. Duffy or Gwynn would be better on defense alone.

Archived