Brewer Fanatic

Fantasy Baseball: 2009 Player & Trade Discussion

GoudaBrew

The stickied fantasy baseball topic seems more like a "join my league" type of thread. This can be a topic to discuss players and trades from a fantasy perspective.

I'll start the discussion with A-Rod. I have him in a 10 team h2h 5x5 keeper league. I'm trying not to panic about the whole surgery thing. One month isn't THAT bad.

Right now, I'm thinking about taking Chris Davis in round 6 (about 10 spots ahead of his ADP) to play 3rd and taking Joey Votto in round 10 to man 1B. I think I'll be able to get Votto this late because we don't play with CI or MI in this league. Once A-Rod comes back I can slide one of these guys into my Utility spot or trade them.

My other option would be to take a chance on a guy like Alex Gordon or Mark Reynolds much later in the draft. Gordon could finally break out and I could trade him after the 1st month. Reynolds has lots of power potential and just so happened to have an amazing April in '08.

Any advice?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I would choose Gordon over Reynolds, and I might draft Votto before Davis.

I have a separate trade question that is really bugging me...

I play in a 12-team h2H points league that penalizes for strikeouts and charges +10 for pitchers wins and -5 for losses.

It is a keeper league that allows up to 5 players to be "protected" from the previous year. My keepers are Utley, Reyes, Wright, and Hamels. My 5th choice is Howard. But I have an offer on the table for an 8th and 14th rounder for Howard. If I traded Howard I would be able to keep Gallardo.

What would you do? Keep Howard and hope to get Gallardo in the draft, or trade Howard for 2 picks and keep Gallardo?

I might also note that 8 of the 12 owners are big Brewer fans...

Thanks

Well because Davis has 3B eligibility he'll most certainly go before Votto and ESPN has Votto ranked fairly low (behind Derek Lee).

I'm not that familiar with points leagues, but when you say an 8th rounder I assume you mean 8th round overall, 3 rounds after your keepers, correct?

This seems like a low ball offer. If you throw Howard back into the pool he'd most certainly be a 1st (6th) round pick. I'd want his 6th rounder at least since Howard is easily a top 20 player.

Edit: Yeah, I'd probably keep Howard and go after Gallardo or a similar pitcher (Billingsley?) if YoGa gets grabbed ahead of you

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived