Brewer Fanatic

Ken Macha on Jason Kendall: works the system well. Is this a good thing?

RoseBowlMtg

I heard Macha say this morning on the radio that when Kendall came to Oakland while Macha was managing, he bought into his system and worked so well with the pitchers he knew every call Kendall was making:

Now is this a good thing? If Macha knows every pitch coming why do they think the other team can't figure out the pattern?

Plenty of variations can happen but it struck me as curious being a good thing.

Any thoughts?

I think you're reading too much into this. Macha is probably just using hyperbole to make a point that he's in Jason's corner. I'm sure he gets asked a lot about the so-called tensions he and Kendall had in Oakland and this is just Macha throwing a compliment Jason's way.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

when I'm calling pitchs for the high school softball team i coach, i'll let one of the catchers call her own game...and frankly, if i don't know what's coming, then i go hav a chat with her because we have a game plan and a strategy based on the hitters, and the only time i don't know what's coming is when she's doing something stupid...

good hitters always know what's coming anyway---that doesn't mean they can hit it...i mean, when mariano rivera is pitching, you know what your getting, but you can't do anything about it...

pogpkat remember when Teddy Higuera would throw a 3-1 breaking ball. Now that is traditional thinking but it was the game plan. If hitters were looking for it be it they did that and got predictable you could rip it. If you were looking heat you would let the pitch go. Point is if you know doesn't the other team know? I agree with stud pitchers like Rivera it doesn't matter but a pitcher like Bush needs to be unpredictable.

Point is if you know doesn't the other team know?

I think what he meant was Kendall knows the hitters and the game plan and is so good about following those plans Macha knows it will be done the way he wants. Kind of the opposite of Estrada was. As far as the opposition knowing sure they do. I have no doubt every hitter knows his weaknesses and most likely assumes the opposition knows as well. Problem is there is a reason why it's a weakness. It's because the dude can't hit it. You can tell me a 90 mph fastball is coming right down the pipe and it will make me about 1% more likely to hit it. Which means I have a 2% chance of doing so.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Rosebowl, it means that Macha and Kendall are on the same page about how they want the pitchers to attack hitters. It's not like they have a game plan that can't be changed from series to series. You're making a big deal out of nothing..

.. where have I seen that before? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Capuano is the most predictable pitcher I've ever seen and he's been pretty solid in the big leagues. To righties he pretty much just alternates changeup away, fastball in.

If a good change up/fastball pitcher can throw a mediocre fastball with a plus change they can be very effective. When arm angle and speed is almost the same the hitter is basically up there guessing. That's why I've always thought the change up is the second best pitch, next to a well located fastball.

That's why Cappy's arm troubles (second time around) are surprising. I thought he was mainly a two pitch pitcher that mixed in an occasion curve or slider that causes the strain on the elbow. I know pitching in general isn't "good" for the elbow, but it's the junk - slider/curve - that causes the majority of problems.

yfinn no big deal I am making since I was asking a question. Are game plans set so that you throw off speed pitches when the hitter is expecting fastballs but my thought is if you do that all the time does that make it predictable and since Macha knew why would the other team not figure this out. Any finn this is not a rip but a general baseball question where I am sure it goes on with every team. If you never surprise the manager does that make you too easy to figure out?

yfinn no big deal I am making since I was asking a question. Are game plans set so that you throw off speed pitches when the hitter is expecting fastballs but my thought is if you do that all the time does that make it predictable and since Macha knew why would the other team not figure this out. Any finn this is not a rip but a general baseball question where I am sure it goes on with every team. If you never surprise the manager does that make you too easy to figure out?
Give me three weeks and I'll be able to decipher your post. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

I get what your point is, but I think that even if a hitter thinks he knows what is coming he's still up there guessing for the most part unless the count is in his favor. I think the game plan is more scouting report based, well obviously, but the pitcher is trying to attack the hitter's weak spots. Some hitters won't lay off low and away sliders (I can think of about 3 Brewer players) and others can't hit or lay off high fastballs. Of course when a pitcher makes a mistake with that fastball then it's gone.

I don't think it's as simple as breaking ball when the hitter is thinking straight ball. Sometimes it is but it's more based on location. Hitters know what their weaknesses are but those are dang tough to overcome, and they usually chase those bad pitches.

Unpredictability is a huge reason for success for many pitchers, throwing what they don't expect. When does unpredictability become predictable? I don't think that is an answerable question but it is one reason why the game of baseball is so great imo.

Archived