Brewer Fanatic

Transaction Rule Question dealing with Injuries

endaround
This is due to Gwynn's injury but got me curious about how it would work. Say Jim Edmonds comes to the Brewers saying he'd like to play in Milwaukee for $1m. That would basically mean that Gwynn who was fighting for a job anyway would have no place. If he was healthy he would be DFA'd and Edmonds given his 40 man spot. But he's injured. Now if this was May the Brewers would attempt to DFA Gwynn, he'd file a grievance due to injury and the Brewers would be forced to put him on the 60 Day DL. But there is no DL available right now correct? So what would happen if the Brewers tried to DFA Gwynn today? Are they forced to carry him on the 40 man until the 60 Day DL becomes available?

Forget Edmonds, they would have to clear a roster spot for Duffy and/or Nixon regardless in the event Gwynn can't go. If both Duffy and Nixon were to make the team, they'd have room because that would mean Iribarren and Nelson didn't and they are out of options as well.

It will sort itself out.

I think you can put guys on the DL now. At the very least you can back date it to the last time a player played in a game in spring. SO if they can't offially put him on the DL they can do so at the start of the season and back date it to whenever. I shtere a reason the Brewers can't DFA an injured player? I'm sure they would have to pay for any medical treatment needed and may be on the hook for the salary but I don't think there is anything preventing them from cutting a player who is injured. If there was every player who saw the writing on the wall would have some sort of mysterious back or hammy ailment.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't see a rule in the CBA or on Cot's that says you can't put a guy on the DL in spring training.

The other work-around in your scenario is that Edmonds could have a guaranteed minor league contract that would pay him $1 million regardless of whether he made the team or not, with an opt out around Opening Day for if he doesn't make the major league team.

Ok then. I thought there wasn't a DL after the end of the season until the beginning of the new one.

Yeah I realize in this case there are other options to take the spot, it was more that this case brought the question up.

Forget Edmonds, they would have to clear a roster spot for Duffy and/or Nixon regardless in the event Gwynn can't go.

The point of the thread is understanding the transaction rules rather than the example used to illustrate the question.

I don't see a rule in the CBA or on Cot's that says you can't put a guy on the DL in spring training.

It gets done. Because of the 15-day rule, players can be placed on the disabled list and miss a lesser number of days at the beginning of the championship season.

Players have been placed on the DL retroactively in spring training, too. For that purpose, if I understand the rule correctly, major league spring training games count the same as championship season games. A year or two ago, didn't the Brewers have a guy playing in minor league spring training games simply because of the possible need to DL him retroactively?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived