Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Fallon hosting Late Night...

DougJones43

I missed the first episode, but watched it tonight. I thought he was awful. The monologue was incredibly lame, Fallon himself is spastic and unfunny, and the bits were uninspired. I grew up watching Conan in that slot for the past 15 years, and will miss him greatly hosting Late Night. I don't think he'll be the same at all hosting The Tonight Show. Fallon isn't going to do much to make me miss Conan less.

I was curious to see what others thought...

I'm with RU Rah Rah...I don't think Fallon is funny at all. He's never done anything memorable comedy-wise in my eyes.

I'll give him a chance, like I have with almost every talk show that comes out.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Out of curiosity, who do you guys think would've been a better choice than Fallon? I don't even know what kind of talent is in the wanna-be talk show host pool.

Has anyone ever watched Spike Feresten on Fox? He was a writer for a major sitcom (Seinfeld) and has a certain sort of comedy and delivery that I kinda like, but I just never watch the show because I forget it's on.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I think Justin Timberlake would make an excellent host. He was good on the first show and did excellent impersonations of John Mayer and Michael McDonald. Robert Di Niero was a terrible first guest. It just felt uncomfortable because he didn't really have anything to say. Fallon is not great, but he'll be ok after a few weeks of jitters.

Out of curiosity, who do you guys think would've been a better choice than Fallon? I don't even know what kind of talent is in the wanna-be talk show host pool.

Has anyone ever watched Spike Feresten on Fox? He was a writer for a major sitcom (Seinfeld) and has a certain sort of comedy and delivery that I kinda like, but I just never watch the show because I forget it's on.

I've been impressed by Spike on occasion.? His "Comedy for Stoners" sketches are always good.

Honestly, if Lorne Michaels was insistent on using one of his pets as the next host of Late Night, I would have gone with Seth Meyers.? He already does a "monologue" of sorts every week on Weekend Update, and as head writer on SNL he has experience writing sketches too.? I could definitely see him hosting one of these shows some day.

Last night's seemed a bit better. The first show had moments, especially when Timberlake came out. It really seems (so far at least) that's it's more of a collection of "remember when we were on SNL, and we did this stuff?" rather than anything really original. The desk chair thing was stupid. I couldn't watch.

I think so far he has been terrible, and doubt he will get much better. I think De Niro was a bad guest because he was put off by how spastic or uncomposed Fallon is and how amateur he seems. Conan he ain't. JT was entertaining and he is tremendously talented but he seems very into himself to me. His Michael MacDonald impersonation was fantastic.

I absolutely love Conan, but it took him a couple years to really come into his own and if it weren't for Andy Richter, I don't know if the show would have lasted long enough for him to become what he did. Same can be said about Craig Ferguson, it really took awhile for him to find his niche and grow on me. I think it's really hard to judge a new talk show host on his first two episodes, so I will continue to watch and see how it develops.

I agree that I was unimpressed with the first monologue, as it seemed too text-book talk show monologue-ish (if that makes sense). The second show was a little better, but I don't think the writers have figured out Jimmy's personality yet. I liked him on Weekend Update with SNL, so you would think that would translate well to his opening monologues. I think they're just playing it too safe and close to the vest at this point and it will get better. I think he has pretty good potential as an interviewer as well, he just seems incredibly nervous and out-of-place as of now, which is surprising since he spent so much time in front of live crowds with SNL.

So we'll see... but I agree with KegStand, Seth Meyers would make a fantastic talk show host!

Every where and everything I have ever seen him in, whether it be SNL or movies or TV or interviews, he seems extremely nervous and fidgety and uncontrolled - almost to the point where he has a slight disorder. So I would not expect that to change much

I personally can't stand his shtick. In fact, I have him on my list of actors that I will absolutely refuse to watch along w/Brendan Frasier and Keeanu Reeves. Reading this thread definitely reaffirmed my thoughts about how this show would start out.

I agree that I think the first 2 shows were weak but I think Fallon is probobly still nervous so I would give him some time to get relaxed and find his groove if you call it. I will say that watching some SNL Fallon clips like Celebrity Jeapardy I found Fallon not funny at all. That dude who plays sean conary though is a different story, they should bring him back to SNL.

Jimmy Fallon had over a year to plan out his first show and the best he could come up with was a guy licking a lawnmower for $10? That's pretty weak, but The Boston Teens sketch on SNL where he paints "NOMAR" and the #5 on the back of a rented tuxedo buys him another few weeks from me.

Seth Meyers would have been a good choice, as well, but Fallon had this gig lined up before Meyers really came into his own on Weekend Update. Spike Feresten's comedy appeals to the lowest common denominator. I think that he is a lot smarter than he lets on. If he can build some momentum, I think that FOX will try to set him up with his own weekday talk show. That was the plan when they gave him "Talk Show."

Slow Jammin the news was funny enough. Not laugh out loud bust a gut funny but worth watching. You have to give him more time to get used to the show himself. I think his writers are good enough he's just nervous. He gets in the way of his guests and interrupts them. He doesn't so much host the show as much as he visits with an old friend (his guest). A lot of "remember the time you and I did this together?" stuff. That said he should get 6 months at a minimum to figure it out.

Show 3 seemed a bit better. The monologue, though still annoying, was better. When Billy Crudup pulled out the picture of Fallon and Mario Batali on the moped, that was hilarious! We'll see what show 4 brings. So far, it hasn't gotten worse, just minimally better. I'm giving it time.

Never thought Fallon was great on SNL, but he was moderately amusing.

Getting DeNiro is a coup. He does not do many talk shows at all. Timberlake was outstanding.

Off topic- Justin Timberlake is one of the funniest and most talented people in show business. It's funny, I'll watch anything he's on, except his music videos. I can't stand his music.

Archived