Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Spring Training Transactions; Latest -- Nixon Released, Gamel and Salome Optioned, Littleton on Minor League Deal

Minigoon

Brewer Fanatic Staff

SUNDAY'S TRANSACTIONS: Optioned RHP Tim Dillard and RHP Nick Green to Triple-A Nashville.....optioned RHP Omar Aguilar and RHP Alex Periard to Double-A Huntsville.....optioned RHP Mark Rogers to Class-A Brevard County.....optioned RHP Cody Scarpetta to Class-A Wisconsin.

Tim Dillard could find a home on half the teams in the major leagues right now. How many times did he surprise us with 93-94 MPH cheese to offset his sinker? Fantastic resource in AAA, tough break for Tim, who actually can be optioned again in 2010 if need be.

Omar Aguilar back to AA Huntsville? Remains to be seen how much of a "paper move" that is, as many have him penciled in as Nashville's closer in 2009.

Cody Scarpetta, sent to minor league camp earlier last week, has the first of his four (not three, special case) options become official.

I don't like stretching Dillard out. He hit the 'prospect wall' as a starter in the past. He made huge strides as a RP. If Dillard is developing more pitches (as reported on JS), he could stick as a starter. I just find it strange at this point to do it. I guess he can always move back to RP. My guess is this speaks more of the lack of depth for the starters in the minors more so than a permanent switch for Tim.

I don't like stretching Dillard out. He hit the 'prospect wall' as a starter in the past. He made huge strides as a RP. If Dillard is developing more pitches (as reported on JS), he could stick as a starter. I just find it strange at this point to do it. I guess he can always move back to RP. My guess is this speaks more of the lack of depth for the starters in the minors more so than a permanent switch for Tim.
That "wall" was arguably in AAA. But given what he did prior to going to AAA as a starter, having him develop a slider and change-up could be good. Given the losses in the rotation this year, he may be needed as a starter.

EDIT: Also, if Dillard can be a starter, then think of him as a way to get cheap Suppan-level production.

He has one really good pitch, a sinker. He needs to work on a slider and changeup, because working in 6-11 pitch innings (remember, he statistically works VERY efficiently in the minors) he likely never gets to work on secondary pitches.

I think the move of Dillard to the rotation and Aguilar to Huntsville is a tipoff that they have a deal in place to keep Morlan and move him to Nashville to close.

What would Dillard moving to a starter have to do with that?

I think the move of Dillard to the rotation and Aguilar to Huntsville is a tipoff that they have a deal in place to keep Morlan and move him to Nashville to close.

What would Dillard moving to a starter have to do with that?

Well, Dillard would not be as critical to the bullpen now or in the future with both Morlan and Aguilar in the pipeline. So it affords them an opportunity to see if Dillard can start. They can always move him back.

Morlan has to stay in the majors or we have to offer him back to Tampa.

Well, Dillard would not be as critical to the bullpen now or in the future with both Morlan and Aguilar in the pipeline. So it affords them an opportunity to see if Dillard can start. They can always move him back.

I guess I still don't see what it would have to do with it. Pena was the closer last year while Dillard was in the pen. I think Dillard starting speaks more about the lack of depth in Nashville should a starter be needed than it has anything to do with Morlan. Just my opinion. I think Dillard starting in Nashville might be a tip off that DiFelice is making the Brewers 25 man than anything else.

Regarding Dillard: somewhere I heard Melvin say that starting gave him a way to develop pitches. He mentioned them but I can't recall. Is there a shortage of starters in Nashville this season? Wright, Green, Narron...
Formerly AKA Pete

Maybe part of sending Swindle down is the thinking of stashing a mid-season replacement in case of injury or Stetter losing the strike zone as he does on occasion. Yesterday Melvin made a similar comment that could be interpreted that way regarding Lamb and McGehee on WSSP. Squeaky...er, I mean Sparky assumed just that.
Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe part of sending Swindle down is the thinking of stashing a mid-season replacement in case of injury or Stetter losing the strike zone as he does on occasion. Yesterday Melvin made a similar comment that could be interpreted that way regarding Lamb and McGehee on WSSP. Squeaky...er, I mean Sparky assumed just that.
When you have 3-4 guys that will give similar production (Coffey, Swindle, DiFelice, Dillard, etc) , it only makes sense to stash those that have options in the minors. Hate to cut someone (and lose him) only to find out you kept the wrong one.

Archived