Brewer Fanatic

question about signed bats...

Bikeage77

I have a quick question, how much is the true value of a game used bat by an unknown player, signed by someone else? For the sake of the question, let's just say Ryan Braun.

I see these on eBay often enough, some Louisville Slugger used by an unknown player, signed by someone else. I don't know why anyone would want to get a game used bat, signed by a player that didn't use it.

Can someone explain this to me, I'm at a loss. How much is the difference in value from a bat signed by the player that used it? (Again, just use Braun for the sake of example)

Edit: For store bought bats, what model do you normally purchase? Do you stick to one size? How much do they generally sell for? Any other specifics play into your choice (color, etc?)

i would prefer the game used bat over store model bat because all of my bats are game model or used bats. and the fit in my collection better. and i can care less about the player that used the bat but the sig thats on the bat. but i could care less about the true value because your value may differ from my value. we have had a similar discussion about this. and it really comes down to personal preference and what fits in his/her own collection.

i would never get a game used bat signed by anyone else except the person that used it, matt is right it is personal preference, but to me, it is the same as giving braun an 8x10 of tony gwynn jr. to sign, that is my take on it...

in terms of store bought bats, i think that big sticks are the way to go...but I only get game used bats as well...

bhf, the difference between the two is that the 8x10 has tony gwynn jrs face on it. as where the bat is just a bat with no player name on it. this is no quick question because this topic can go on and on. collect what you like.

to me it would all depend on if the un-named player who used has his name on the bat or not. If it is a game used bat with no one's name on it, I guess personally it wouldn't matter at all.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Maybe a better example from BHF woulda been if you got cleats from some guy, and had another player sign them. I can see both sides of the arguement, and matt is right that every person values each item a bit differently. I've considered getting game used bats signed by players, but never did because as BHF said, I'd rather have the bat signed by the person who used it.

Obviously I wouldn't get a Geoff Jenkins bat signed by Corey Hart, or other such nonsense.

Either way, thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, we had a discussion about this about a year ago. I think it was in the "show off your collections" thread. I've got a collection of about 30-40 various bats, the vast majority are the Big Stick variety w/a couple Louisville Sluggers. I have 2 or 3 game used bats, and then a few un-used game model bats that are signed by said player - Molitor, Yount, and Braun. Those are actually my favorite, but are so expensive and hard to come by that it's not worth the hassle in my opinion. I like the non game used bats because I feel they look better - the autograph stands out more since the finish on the bat is glossy. But like everyone's previously said, it's all a matter of personal opinion.

If you have a game used bat with one players name on it signed by another it only has sentimental value. No monetary value unless you are able to wipe off the sig and get it signed by the actual player that used it. Itd be like me signing my name on a check endorsed to Tony Gwynn JR., there isn't anybody that is going to cash it!!

Just do what I did and get one bat from the entire brewers starting lineup and a few pitchers and get those signed.

<-----------Jealous. And wish I had the hookups to do so. Spring training probably helps, but I won't get down there again for a few years.

Archived