Brewer Fanatic

David Weathers

The Reds are going nowhere. Weathers is signed through 2008. He can still pitch.

How about packaging Vargas, Spurling and a prospect (Jackson?) for Weathers?

Weathers could take over the 7th inning job, and allow Villanueva to start.

I like weathers. I think he'd be a great set-up guy. i doubt the reds would ask for much in return. he's not really a closer type of reliever.

the reds also have Guardado coming back after the all star break. he was great for the reds last year before injuring himself. he had converted 8 of 10 saves. I like Guadado better because he's a veteran lefty reliever. I think the reds' asking price for him would be about the same as for weathers. I think he would be a better fit for the brewers' bullpen and provide a better lefty/righty combo.

Community Moderator

He has been given three or four chances in the Majors already and he is still streaky.

He's actually been given ONE chance in the Majors.

Not sure where you got three or four, but his ~3 week stint in Milwaukee last June was his first and only callup to the Majors.

I'm not sure Jackson is a prospect either, but maybe he could be sold as one.

Someone suggested it wouldn't take as much to get him as I proposed. I don't know about that. My proposal just clears roster of guys who wouldn't be needed if they got Weathers.

Actually because they're in the division, the Reds might ask for more. Instead of Spurling, they might want a guy like Balfour who has upside to replace Weathers as their closer.

I don't see it as much of an upgrade...Carlos is probably a bit better than Vargas, but Weathers is not as good as Carlos...it may be slight, but hardly worth throwing a bunch of youngsters at them.

Guys like Riske and Weathers can be had for nearly nothing at the deadline, especially if they are making a lot of cash. You don't need to make a package to acquire one, they can be had for a ptbnl.

Archived