Brewer Fanatic

Chris Spurling's trade value

His ERA is right around 3.00, despite having a WHIP over 1.50. He seems lucky to me, having that Claudio Vargasesque ability to allow tons of baserunners, yet somehow manage to keep them from scoring. If he can get a few more garbage innings and bring his ERA back down under 3, he might be a player that some team would overpay for. If he's not going to be in the mix for more critical innings in Milwaukee, I think it makes sense to trade him while his value is probably at its highest.

If Hall is going to be out for awhile, might it make sense to try to flip him for a right-handed outfield bat?

Quote:
Isnt the idea to keep our bullpen strong why trade away someone who as 3 to sub 3 era. Hes a good guy to have around, like you siad can pitch those garbage innings when we either whooping or getting whooped. Id rather trade a porspect or two fo the RH bat.

My thought is that anybody can pitch those innings in blowouts and it won't make much of a difference. In previous years, we've seen teams overpay for mediocre relievers playing above their head (like Gary Majewski last year), and Spurling seems like a good choice as somebody to cash in on.

I think the word is pretty much out around baseball that he doesn't have much. That's why he was available for a minor league deal.

I think once he blows up that'll be it and there'll be no trade.

Archived