Brewer Fanatic

AMAZING -- No Hitter

Lo and behold...about two minutes after I sign up for CSTV's package I tune into the Penn State -- Texas game and watch the final four innings of Brandon Workman's no hitter. Workman was outstanding and should continue to assert himself as a top 10-15 pick in the 2010 draft, health permitting. Workman's a big kid (about 6'5" 220) who throws from high 3/4 arm slot. His delivery is clean and simple. His fastball was regularly 93-94 with movement and his curveball had plenty of bite. His command of both pitches was excellent. I realize Penn State isn't Rice or LSU, but nevertheless a great showing by Workman.

As an aside, I've watched a good portion of the Western Carolina -- USC game. Though Grant Green has come out of the gate a little slow here in '09, his performance today has been encouraging. He looks very relaxed at the plate and hit the ball hard several times. He's also filled out a bit since last year while retaining his speed/range. He's showed me nothing that would indicate slippage in his draft position.

USC catcher Robert Stock (who, by the way, is still only 19 despite the fact he's a junior) showed plenty of power by hitting a towering HR to right field in the 8th. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts it together this spring and crawls up draft charts.

Archived