Brewer Fanatic

Purchasing Auto Insurance in Wisconsin (Proposed Rule Changes)

http://www.wispolitics.com/1006/090219WAJrelease.pdf

This caught my eye this morning, and I have to admit i'm not sure where I stand on the issue. I already carry the higher liability limits for liability insurance and under/uninsured, so this won't affect me either way. Having worked for the insurance industry straight out of college, i understand the damage that underinsured/uninsured drivers do to everybody's rates. I also have first hand knowledge of what a $50,000-$60,000 judgement in property damage can do to a young person without insurnace.

One would think that Wisconsin should join the dozens of states that already require car insurance in order to be eligible for a driver's license/car registration. However, that doesn't really fix the problem as the people that don't have insurance now, would simply drive without a license & registation as well, creating more headaches for the police. It comes down to personal choice and personal responsibility, but there are many people that simply can't afford insurance.

Anyone here been in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured driver?

I think that insurance should definitely be required for all drivers in this state. I don't think it would be a hassle for police at all because they wouldn't know if the person had insurance until they already had that person stopped anyway, so it would only be a matter of writing another ticket. I think then a portion of the money from tickets for driving without insurance should go into a fund to help reimburse people who were involved in accidents through no fault of their own with someone who doesn't have insurance.

As far as the rule changes go, I think they are absurd. All you're doing is driving the up cost of insurance for people who have it and allowing lawyers to sue for more money. Plus, the people who won't be able to afford the new rates are now going to go without insurance so there will be fewer people out there with insurance.. I'd like to know what the purpose of this change really is.

Archived