Brewer Fanatic

2009-02-27 Brewers (Parra) at Oakland (Eveland): 2:05 CST [Brewers win, 8-5]

GormanHarvey
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me its a tough call on how to moderate the IGT as far as the comments you all are referring to. Its a fine line - I too get a kick out of a lot of the comments and everyone erupting when someone goes yard in a clutch spot or the like, but it can also get annoying when everyone says a player "sucks" or comments of the like when a mistake or poor AB occurs

I usually end up reading the IGTs after the game is over. Some of my favorite parts are the 18 posts in a row saying "Braun for Pres!" when he hits a HR or "Weeks sucks!" whenever he commits an error. I usually do join the in game chat when I am on my computer, but that doesn't happen too often (at least it hasn't in the past).
Right, exactly. There is a definite point where "insults" can be considered to be crossing the line, but comments such as that should not be censored.

The new rules are quite muddled. What exactly is it that we're supposed to be doing in this forum, if not capturing the mood of the game? When I talk baseball, whether it be around the kitchen table, or online here at Brewerfan, I want to be able to converse about the whole experience. That includes the highs and the lows, the praise and the derision. Doesn't fandom entail being short-sighted at times? Doesn't fandom require it? These new rules are essentially aimed at taking away any sort of passion that one might feel during a game.

Any actual analysis of a game can be more properly done after taking a few hours to contemplate what has occurred. So why have in-game threads at all, if they're only going to cover something that can be better covered later on?

But most importantly, the new rules strip away my favorite part of Brewerfan - the near-hallucinogenic extra-innings threads that made this forum special.

Tony Gwynn needs to NOT make this team. That will make me happy.
I am really getting to the point where I feel the same way. I have always pulled for him because his dad is my all time favorite non-Brewer player and he seems to be a chip off the old block personality wise, but how many times can you come into the season with a huge opportunity to solidify your spot on the team and immediately go on the shelf? Like Macha said, if you are a backup you need to be on-call all 162 games

But most importantly, the new rules strip away my favorite part of Brewerfan - the near-hallucinogenic extra-innings threads that made this forum special.
I 2nd everything you said here. Not trying to create any upheaval or anything mods, just giving input http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Prince is off to another slow start. I was hoping he would be ripping it up with that new, slimmer physique. Hopefully he can pick it up in ST, but if he doesn't, let's pray it doesn't carry into the regular season like last year.

Thorman is having a nice start to ST. Can he play OF??
21 games in LF two years ago for the Braves. None last year.

About 40 games in LF in the minors throughout the years. Interesting that he played 13 games at 3B last year, and that appears to be the only time in his pro career. I wonder if the Braves were testing him out there to see if he could be a decent util guy?

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/3e1255a9018423f1a35061b2a760ae686cc2c07.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/09c25509778de35ea4904d708ce14f85234e0df.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/134355cb99b88bda3231a8dc041aa6614589bc9.pjpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/d6e25e79de882399ad8036420447446decf0a2d.pjpgChase Wright is a bum. Swindles slow changeup is almost to slow to even believe. He threw it 3 or 4 times and it is slower than a knuckle ball. Escobar is good but just isnt that good yet. Thank god Counsell changed his stance because now I can handle watching him. Manny looked good. Prince looks smaller but he is still big. Cutter Dykstra will be fun to watch in Appleton. And Chase Wright is still horrible. Granted it is Spring Training but he got lit.

Explain your Escobar statement further. Stastically, I would agree with you, I don't think his offense is there yet. But what is it about this small sample size of observations for you that makes you think he "isn't that good yet". Not a criticism of your commentary, I'm actually curious.

Nice pictures. As far as Escobar goes I wasn't there today but I read on TH's blog that he made an amazing defensive play. Macha said it woke everyone up. Wondering what you thought of it. He also made a play while not amazing, still impressive on Wednesday when I was there. Slow squib of a ground ball that he charged, bare-handed and gunned the runner out at first. Maybe JJ makes it, maybe not. Not a criticism of JJ seeing as it was the first day of ST when I was there but there was a line drive that would have been impressive if he got to it but I can't help but think Escobar would have. I'd love to see the 2 have the same exact shot at a play and see what happens, I know that is impossible but still. I really believe Escobar is ahead of where JJ was at this point of his career. I just hope that when he gets his shot people remember that it took JJ a while to settle in too. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

dont get me wrong I am a huge Escobar fan. And my criticism wasnt with his glove but more of his bat and the at bats that he had. When I look back on that statment it seems kinda harsh but I was just putting something together and was going on 22 straight hours without sleep. Hopefully that makes sense. His range is unbelievable but what I saw with the bat is far from league ready, but we all knew that coming in. I will have some more stuff posted tonight after todays game with the Angels. If anyon wants to see a specific picture of anyone just let me know and I will take a few for ya.

Archived