Brewer Fanatic

Manny Ramirez rejects another offer! *Latest: Finally Signs (reply #45)

chansen
This one is beyond me. I just don't get what he and Boras are thinking. Rejecting a 2/$45 contract. Even more astonishing are the details. I believe it was $25M the first year and a player option for 2010. He could take the money this season and test the market again next year. I guess I can see what they are thinking because the Dodgers are really out of options in regards to available FA's, but turning this down is killing baseball. Spring training has started and a major piece has not signed yet. I can just imagine the amount of boo's he is going to get this season. Him and A-Rod may be competing for that title.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, this is certainly isnt giving Manny any good press. Hes going to keep rejecting offers until the offer he wanted originally pops up. I really hope the Dodgers end negotiations with Manny so he'll probobly be an unsigned FA this season.

There are no other teams interested in him. Spring training is already under way. If some other team was going to make him an offer, they would have done so by now.

The Dodgers need to stop dinking around with him and just give Boras a hard deadline. Lay out all their offers again, say "You have until next Friday to pick one...otherwise we'll assume your client has no real interest in playing with us again." Then leave it at that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Some interesting comments from Dodgers ownership:

"We love Manny Ramirez," said Dodgers Owner Frank McCourt, "And we want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves. When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to re-start the negotiations. Even with an economy that has substantially eroded since last November, out of respect for Manny and his talents, we actually improved our offer. So now, we start from scratch."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

"So now, we start from scratch."

I love this part of the quote from Dodgers management. It shows that Manny is further away from any kind of deal than he was last week. It is as if Manny and his agent have not seen what is going on with every other free agent in baseball. When guys like Ray Durham and Gagne are getting nothing more than minor league, non-guaranteed deals, it is clear that the economics of baseball have changed substantially (even since Texeira and Sabathia signed their deals.)

Additionally, this one is not all on Boras. If Manny wanted, he could have accepted that offer. I highly doubt he would have caught any flak from the players union for accepting the Dodgers' deal.

What are they thinking?

What are they thinking?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess 45 million to play a boy's game in a huge media market isn't enough for the already-multi-millionaire. And I guess they think they can find a better offer than that. Good luck.

I loved what the management said. "When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs..." I can only imagine McCourt was making the jerk-off motion when he said that.

*edited for details

I guess we'll find out if Boras has the 5-6 other interested teams like he always claims to have
This is my favorite quote from the story on ESPN...

"We want Manny back, but we feel we are negotiating against ourselves," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said in a statement. "When his agent finds those 'serious offers' from other clubs, we'll be happy to restart the negotiations."

Obviously, McCourt knows the ball is in their court. If Manny wants to play this year, it will have to be with the Dodgers. I'm wondering if clubs are thinking they don't want to put up with him playing when he wants and all the other antics he pulls.

Dear Mr. McCourt,

For the good of baseball, let Manny be. Give up on him (and Boras) like the rest of baseball has. For the good of baseball, he needs to sit this year. If the Brewers offered him even half that contract, I'd be irate. Yes, he's a great hitter, but a liability in the field and a prima donna.

Thanks,

Dan

Apparently the big issue with the offer is that it would have only paid him about $10 million this year and next, and the rest would have been deferred through 2013.

Exactly. That's why it's fine that he rejected it. The Dodgers just have to increase the present value money and it's a done deal. I'm not saying I support Manny on this, but the Dodgers offer is actually worse now than it was in November (assuming it wasn't deferred then too). I think it'll end up being a one-year deal for $20 million paid this year.

BrewCrewIn2004[/b]]Pathetic. Yet another reason to hate Boras.
I got to believe that this Boras is as unhappy about this as any of us. He is going to get screwed out of the big commission that this contact would have brought in. But he also doesn't want Manny to fire him so he has to play the bad guy in this role and take Manny's side. If the whole world can see Manny is going to end up getting less than this, then you can bet Boras Corp does as well.

BrewCrewIn2004[/b]]Pathetic. Yet another reason to hate Boras.
I got to believe that this Boras is as unhappy about this as any of us. He is going to get screwed out of the big commission that this contact would have brought in. But he also doesn't want Manny to fire him so he has to play the bad guy in this role and take Manny's side. If the whole world can see Manny is going to end up getting less than this, then you can bet Boras Corp does as well.

It's fine to be mad or hate Boras, but we need to remember that if Manny didn't get out of his contract with Boston Boras wouldn't get paid a dime. Manny signed that deal with a different agent. Boras wins big time regardless if Manny gets $90 million over 3 or 1 year at $20 million. He would've gotten zero if Manny doesn't get out of his previous contract.

Archived