Brewer Fanatic

Buehrle - Latest: 4-year extension

It's funny how obvious KW made it that he only wanted Buehrle signed so he could trade him for more in return. The Brewers even gave Suppan a no-trade clause and he has done much less than Buehrle has in his career.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ It's funny how obvious KW made it that he only wanted Buehrle signed so he could trade him for more in return. The Brewers even gave Suppan a no-trade clause and he has done much less than Buehrle has in his career. ]

The only thing they didn't agree on was the no-trade clause... I think he really did make an attempt to keep Buehrle in Chicago.

I think Buehrle is right to be nervous about taking an undermarket deal without a NTC based only on assurances that he won't be traded right away. Didn't something like that happen to Arroyo? He signed a well below market deal with the Red Sox after they won the world series, then got dealt the same offseason I think. So its not like there Buerhle is being unreasonable.

Quote:
The only thing they didn't agree on was the no-trade clause... I think he really did make an attempt to keep Buehrle in Chicago.

maybe. It seems fishy to me that they wouldn't throw in a no-trade clause though, especially after Buerhle left so much money on the table. Even mediocre guys like Suppan are able to get no-trade clauses in contracts where they leave no money on the table, so why wouldn't an excellent pitcher who has played his whole career in one place and is leaving at least $40 million (I think he could easily get at least a 6 year/$90 million deal) on the table not be able to get one?

[ maybe. It seems fishy to me that they wouldn't throw in a no-trade clause though, especially after Buerhle left so much money on the table. Even mediocre guys like Suppan are able to get no-trade clauses in contracts where they leave no money on the table, so why wouldn't an excellent pitcher who has played his whole career in one place and is leaving at least $40 million (I think he could easily get at least a 6 year/$90 million deal) on the table not be able to get one? ]

If they need to go into full rebuilding mode in '08, they would need the flexibility to trade Buehrle.

My thoughts on this:

If we get Buherle, this would be a EXCELLENT move. Almost all of the brewers pitching specs would be available.

Rotation now

1. Sheets

2. Capuano

3. Suppan

4. Bush

5. Vargas

With this trade you would have a rotation of Sheets, Bueherle, Suppan, Capuano, and Bush. Buherle is a innings eater and will help limit the bullpen. Sheets, and Buherle will give you 6-7 IP almost every game. Reason why Inman, Pera and all those available is because 3-4 years down the road the rotation would be

1. Sheets

2. Buherle ( if you sign long term)

3. Capuano

4. Gallarado

5. Villaneova

and you would still have Bush, Vargas.

There is no more room for SP for at least 4-5 years. So if it takes Innman give the white sox him. This move could make the brewers a playoff contender, to a world series contender. Sheets, Buherle, Suppan, Capuano in the playoffs is astounding.

The Brewers can not afford both Sheets and Beurhle especially since they already have a no trade Suppan around. And Sheets, Buerhle and Capuano would likely come to close to $60 million all by themselves.

I think the brewers could afford buehrle for the next 4 months and then allow him to sign with somebody else as a FA after the season. The brewers may even want to keep him and sign him instead of cappy. the revenues for making the world series win or lose are tremendous.

the problem that i see is that the White sox have a ton of young outfielders. they don't need or want guys like Gwynn, Gross or Nix. They already have those same guys with different names : Anderson, Sweeney, and Gonzolez. The white Sox appear to be in need of relief pitching. Would the brewers give up Charlie or Inman, Parra or Turnbow?

in most of the trades made last year, the team giving away the veteran received the other team's top pitching prospect. I look at the Jennings for Hirsh trade and believe that the white Sox would be asking for the same value of player for Buehrle. Hirsch was houston's #1 overall prospect in 2006. in most Yankees proposals, the name Hughes is included. I highly doubt the brewers would be willing to trade charlie or Yo for buehrle. Would the White Sox be willing to accept inman or parra? Unfortunately, I think they would be able to get a better offer.

I'd like to acquire Buehrle. But I don't want to give up the players I believe the white sox would be asking for.

Verified Member

Trading for Buehrle would be an awesome move by the Brewers. If we can show that with him we are even a bigger threat to win the world series what would keep him from signing next year. Theres a lot of talk about him going to the cardinals next year (if they even have the money), but regardless he has a home close to here, chicago, so theres another incentive.

In other words, get Buehrle Melvin! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I recall back in 1982 and in 1983 that the brewers used their revenues made in 1983 to pay off some of their expenses and payroll costs for 1982.

As a Gm, melvin has to realize his window for opportunity to make the play-offs and world series is very small at best. he should realize that if the Brewers make the world series this year, the money spent this year will be recouped two fold next year.

that is why I say the brewers should start looking to acquire rent a players like Buerhle. there is a difference in renting a player verses acquiring a guy who still has 4 years left on a very bad contract. renting Buehrle for 4 months would be a good move. Trading for somebody like Meche or Weaver would not.

Garland would make an interesting option. the White Sox tried to trade him to Houston in the off season. He has pitched very well lately. I' m not sure what his contract situation is. Zazquez would also be a good option. He has pitched a lot better than his record would indicate.

After watching our starting pitching in the last couple weeks(outside of Sheets), Melvin has to be thinking about getting into the bidding for Buehrle. He is a national league type pitcher and would be perfect to rent for 4 months. I don't know if we can keep our starting staff together enough to win this thing, and even if we do win the division, can we win a playoff series with our current starting pitching? I am no longer in love with watching prospects grow, so send them Jeffress and somebody else and let's get in the playoffs.

Well dad I'm glad you are so optimistic. I guess your numbers don't lie but I don't feel that comfortable with our starting staff. I believe Gallardo had something to do with that. And, I still think Weeks is overrated. Go ahead, put it as your signature again. Yes, I'm the one.

Community Moderator

I guess your numbers don't lie

Well, they do because the actual number of quality starts since the actual number for quality starts in the last two weeks is 5 (since 6/20). Five quality starts in 13 games is actually quite poor, and I hope they don't struggle like that all year.

Community Moderator

In fairness to Al, I think he was counting the games where "should be" starter Carlos Villanueva has bailed out guys who inexplicably start ahead of him.

What three games did that happen in during that stretch?

And even if it did, that's a pretty random thing to be suddenly quantifying as a quality start, and a heck of an assumption by you in taking that to be the reason for why he was way off in his 'number'.

Archived