Brewer Fanatic

Buehrle - Latest: 4-year extension

With the package I proposed, they're getting three major league contributors. I don't see a team like the White Sox getting a better offer.

I'd happily throw in Capellan or Sarfate. I still like Dennis, but unfortunately it seems he won't thrive until he goes elsewhere.

So Buehrle for Gwynn/Gross, Jackson, Capellan/Sarfate, and Vargas. They get a starter for the rest of the year and possibly beyond. They get a CF, two back of the rotation starters, and a power reliever.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making an effort to obtain Mark Buehrle is probably the best thing the Brewers can do for this year and future years. It seems like everyone thinks that the Cardinals have the inside track to sign him as a free agent and probably will do it.

The Brewers trading for this year would give the Brewers a little time to potentially woo him to sign long term, if that is possibly in Mark A's long term budget isn't something that I or any of us would be able to speculate on. At the worst the Brewers trading for Buehrle would give them a boost this year and make the Cardinals, potentially, give up compensatory picks to the Brewers.

I doubt the White Sox are going to give away Buehrle to save some money they are going to demand value in return. I would think an offer that might be enough to entice the White Sox would be - Angel Salome, Manny Parra, +one (Gwynn Jr.?).

Catching prospects are worth their weight in gold, but with the success of Palmasono, and the two recently drafted catchers the loss of an A ball catcher might not be the end of the world. Manny Parra is a guy who just dramatically increased his value with the Perfect game, and the first thing I thought was that wow he could bring in a nice piece for a run this year.

Gwynn Jr. seems like a guy that would be a logical replacement for Scott Podsednik.

Normally I am a frugal individual when it comes down to trading away prospects, especially catchers and pitchers but the way the NL is shaping up this year, now might be the perfect time for, dare I say it, a World Series run.

Go get Mark Buehrle!

I started thinking about the NL contenders' starting rotations while reading the "If we made the playoffs, who would you want to face?" thread and came up with the table below as a quick overview of each team's pitching quality. It displays the cumulative stats of each pitcher since the start of the 2005 season (just to get a better sample size).'

I did best-guess approximations of each team's starting five and rotation in October, but included a couple extras for the Crew along with Buehrle's stats. (FYI -- I realized some players haven't pitched very much in the majors, so I italicized them to indicate that)

Putting an emphasis on the top 2 or 3 pitchers from each team, it really looks like the Brewers could use a Mark Buehrle-type pitcher to stack up against teams like San Diego (their pitching is ridiculous!) and New York. So, I am totally in on getting Buehrle!

I'm hesitant to give up Parra, but I think we'd have to include him if we're not willing to give up Braun or Gallardo (which we obviously wouldn't be). And as mentioned before, Beuhrle's going to be ranked as one of the higher Type A free agents this offseason, so the signing team is most likely going to have to give us their first pick and we'd get a high sandwich pick. Those two picks may make the deal still worth it even if we can't resign him.

As for what else we give the White Sox... I'm open to pretty much anyone else in the minors outside of Inman. I'd throw in a Bush/Vargas to open a spot in the rotation, but I think they could fetch us better return for a reliever elsewhere.

Go get'm Doug!

Milwaukee W L IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 K/BB ERA WHIP

B. Sheets 25 19 364.2 8.1 1.5 0.99 5.54 3.41 1.11

C. Capuano 34 29 510.2 7.2 2.9 1.18 2.47 4.05 1.33

J. Suppan 36 24 485.1 4.9 3.1 1.04 1.60 4.06 1.43

D. Bush 22 28 438.2 6.3 1.7 1.13 3.64 4.60 1.22

C. Vargas 27 20 372.2 6.8 3.1 1.55 2.18 4.83 1.45

C. Villanueva 7 2 105.1 7.3 2.8 1.03 2.61 3.25 1.10

Y. Gallardo 1 0 13.1 8.1 3.4 0.68 2.40 2.70 1.05

M. Buehrle 32 25 533.2 5.2 1.8 1.16 2.92 3.88 1.26

Arizona W L IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 K/BB ERA WHIP

B. Webb 37 25 575.0 7.0 2.3 0.69 3.06 3.30 1.20

R. Johnson 38 21 484.0 8.4 2.2 1.23 3.84 4.28 1.17

D. Davis 27 30 519.0 7.5 4.2 0.94 1.79 4.32 1.46

L. Hernandez 33 28 562.1 5.2 3.4 1.06 1.55 4.43 1.49

M. Owings 5 2 70.1 6.0 3.2 0.64 1.88 3.84 1.39

New York W L IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 K/BB ERA WHIP

P. Martinez 24 16 349.2 8.9 2.2 0.98 4.01 3.45 1.01

T. Glavine 34 25 506.0 5.1 2.8 0.84 1.83 3.81 1.36

J. Maine 16 12 224.0 7.0 3.8 1.33 1.82 3.78 1.24

O. Hernandez 23 23 359.0 7.7 3.4 1.18 2.29 4.46 1.32

O. Perez 17 24 304.0 8.2 5.1 1.60 1.62 5.33 1.55

Los Angeles W L IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 K/BB ERA WHIP

B. Penny 33 19 470.0 6.5 2.4 0.73 2.76 3.66 1.29

D. Lowe 36 29 549.0 5.7 2.3 0.79 2.44 3.52 1.23

R. Wolf 18 10 230.1 7.6 3.4 1.41 2.20 4.65 1.47

B. Tomko 17 27 364.1 6.0 2.6 1.14 2.29 4.74 1.38

M. Hendrickson 19 26 406.1 5.2 2.9 1.11 1.79 4.98 1.46

San Diego W L IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 K/BB ERA WHIP

J. Peavy 33 23 510.1 9.6 2.5 0.74 3.83 3.21 1.12

C. Young 30 15 434.2 7.9 3.1 1.04 2.56 3.48 1.17

G. Maddux 34 33 526.1 5.1 1.5 0.92 3.42 4.16 1.23

D. Wells 21 17 339.2 5.0 1.4 1.09 3.73 4.50 1.38

J. Germano 5 2 60.2 5.3 1.6 0.74 3.27 2.97 1.01

Quote:
And as mentioned before, Beuhrle's going to be ranked as one of the higher Type A free agents this offseason, so the signing team is most likely going to have to give us their first pick and we'd get a high sandwich pick. Those two picks may make the deal still worth it even if we can't resign him.

I was under the impression that this is no longer in the new CBA between the players union and MLB. I think the team losing a Type A free agent just gets two sandwich picks.

I'm hestitant to give up Parra, but given from what I've heard of his injury concerns, hindsight could prove that not to be the worst possible trade. I'd still like to see what he could do in the bigs though.

But given that virtually no team last year gave up their top pitching prospects for any of the rentals (remember how Danks, Hughes, Garza, and some of the Angels prospects went nowhere after speculation that they would be the standard asking price for rentals?) I think that rental market is perhaps coming back down to earth. I also read ( I think it was on MLBtraderumors.com) that there was a rumor that the White Sox themselves had created the rumor that the Red Sox were interested in Buehrle. If that is indeed true, I think it means that the White Sox are afraid that the rental market not harvesting as many propsects as it once did, and so they are trying to stimulate that market a bit.

If the recipe for winning a World Series is to have two or three big name pitchers in the front of the rotation, then how did St. Louis win it last year? I want nothing to do with Buehrle. We have 7 starters, why do we need an 8th. The only way I would do it would be to give up Vargas, Gross and a AA prospect (and I'm sure someone will offer way more to rent Buehrle for the rest of the year)

I think St. Louis will get him and sign him to an extension...which I would be fine with.

Serious question for those that want to aquire a rent a player for the stretch run.

If that talent costs top minor league prospects, how exactly does the crew replace the talent they lost in the future? It's not like the team can afford to overspend in a free agency every year. Or is that because they're winning this year they need to win the world series and nothing else matters so replishening talent doesn't matter?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

TheCrew07,

What others are trying to state, perhaps not explicitly enough, is that if the team rents Buehrle for the rest of the season and then loses him in free agency, they will get compensation picks in next June's amateur draft. This will go a ways towards replenishing what was given up assuming they are used wisely. Of course, what Doug M, Mark A, and others in the braintrust will have to evaluate is whether what they would need to give up in terms of prospects is worth what they will get back from the 1/2 season rental plus compensation draft picks.

Serious question for those that want to aquire a rent a player for the stretch run.

If that talent costs top minor league prospects, how exactly does the crew replace the talent they lost in the future? It's not like the team can afford to overspend in a free agency every year. Or is that because they're winning this year they need to win the world series and nothing else matters so replishening talent doesn't matter?

True enough, but that talent is much farther away from MLB than the talent they gave up.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Which is why blocked guys are the ones usually offered up. Its why Gwynn, who has no real chance for a starting role on the Brewers until like 2011 comes up. Basically anyone in AAA right now save Parra would be traded away in an instant.

Is Gwynn top talent? Would the Sox really trade a stud pitcher for Gwynn and some bottom of the heap pitchers? They'd want Inman or Jeffress, a pitcher with some potential coming back. With the relative lack of success the organization has had developing pitchers, that worries me.

It's one thing to give up Gwynn, Gross, Jackson, Capellan... it's another to give up Salome, Inman, Jeffress...

- Plato

- Plato

Quote:

Most of our major league roster is set for a number of years, so theres little immediate need for talent, and theres no glory in making Nashville better. Also, the Brewers will continue to draft, and draft well. The compensation picks will be higher than the 2nd round, where we drafted Hardy and Gollardo. With the scouting staff that Jack Z now has in place, the drafts are better than ever.

Quote:
Is Gwynn top talent? Would the Sox really trade a stud pitcher for Gwynn and some bottom of the heap pitchers? They'd want Inman or Jeffress, a pitcher with some potential coming back. With the relative lack of success the organization has had developing pitchers, that worries me.

It is difficult to predict what the price for Buehrle would be, because there hasn't been a pitcher his caliber dealt at the dealine the last 2 years. Oakland dealt 2 pitchers similar to him a few years ago when they traded Hudson and Mulder, but those were offseason deals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree with your assessment. That's why it's probably a longshot for Buehrle to come to Milwaukee. There does not seem to be a good match up for a trade unless the ChiSox really like Gwynn and either a Jackson or Parra-type.

It's one thing to give up Gwynn, Gross, Jackson, Capellan... it's another to give up Salome, Inman, Jeffress...

Quote:
Actually, I believe the Type A compensation stayed the same, but type B changed.

I stand corrected.

However, there was a change in the rule for Type A free agents. Type A is now the top 20% instead of the top 30%.

I don't know off the top of my head if Buerhle is usually in the top 20% or not, but I'm assuming he is.

Apparently the BoSox deal is dead because they wouldn't give up the minor league pitchers the ChiSox wanted. I would expect any deal for a player of Buehrle's caliber to include a stud pitching prospect coming back.

My problem isn't trading prospects that have no where to go, my problem is trading away valuable pitching prospects, which you can never have enough of.

edit. I should add that ESPN was reporting the trade thing during Game Night on my way home in the car.

- Plato

- Plato

If the Brewers don't get him and the Cards do, there could be a silver lining. If they give up a nice crop of prospects for him, the Cards still can't win the division, and he doesn't re-sign, the Brewers win. Likewise, if they are gonna sign him anyway, the Brewers can still win simply by them thinning out their farm system to get him 3 months earlier.

You'd imagine his value decreases every time he pitches as that's a game he could have been pitching for his new suitors.

I think MLB teams are smart to not trading away a lot of prospects. Especially fail proof prospects for a rental pitcher.

But in the Brewers' case, we have a pretty well set field of young players so we can give a good player or 2 at the AAA level away because they probably won't be here for a little bit.

I wouldn't give up the farm for him, but I think we have pieces in the minors and MLB that would create a fair deal for him.

And we've worked with the Sox in the past in successful deals so the relationship is there.

It just seems so strange to me that:

1) Buehrle would take a huge discount when he could sign with the Cards or at least test the FA market.

2) That he'd just dimiss the possibility of playing for the Cards.

3) That the White Sox were purportedly the instigators of the Red Sox rumor and that they are now saying that they are close to an extension.

I'm guessing, just guessing that it's posturing by Kenny Williams to up the ante. But that's just me.

The guys on ESPN radio (Gammons, Olney) have suggested today that the White Sox WILL trade a starting pitcher, but it might be Contreras or Vazquez.. Olney seemed to think the Mets would be interested in Contreras, who has another year left on his deal and would not cost a prime prospect.

Seems this might be changing again. Ken Rosenthal just reported on FOX's pregame that Buehrle had agreed to a 4 yr/$56 million deal, but backed out when the White Sox refused to give him a no-trade clause. He might be traded after all.

Rosenthal also mentioned the Dodgers could be frontrunners for Buehrle.

Someone else might have already suggested this, but would the 'Crew be interested in Mark as to block him from going to another contender (and an indirect to make our pen stronger) ?

Archived