Brewer Fanatic

Buehrle - Latest: 4-year extension

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know what the supposed Buehrle to Boston deal would be? Most of Boston top prospects are a ways off. The guys that are close, Buchholz and Ellsbury, are likely not on the block.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

What about Jon Lester? The lefty is a total stud and his name recognition, alone, would help the ChiSox. Maybe even a Coco Crisp or Wily Mo token throw-in. But Braun or Gallardo? Who does Williams think he is, Keith Hernandez?

Quote:
What about Jon Lester? The lefty is a total stud and his name recognition, alone, would help the ChiSox. Maybe even a Coco Crisp or Wily Mo token throw-in. But Braun or Gallardo? Who does Williams think he is, Keith Hernandez?

Lester is a perfect fit for in this deal. He is MLB ready, but Boston won't have a place for him if they get Buehrle. Next year, Lester might having a hard time beating out Clay Bucholz, an even better prospect. The one reason the Sox might not be interested is because of his medical condition, he is kind of a roll of the dice because of that.

As for The Sox wanting Braun or Gallardo, thats just speculation by Fox Sports, and they even said that wouldn't happen.

What we do know about Kenny Williams is he likes power arms, and he makes his deal well before the dealine.

Also, Buehrle was willing to talk extension with the White Sox, but wanted a 5 year deal. Is this something the Brewers could consider? He is just 28, and is really , really good. Again, his numbers would be even better pitching in the NL.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I certainly wouldn't mind getting Buehrle to displace Vargas from the rotation, but I think the price is going to be too high for what the Brewers will want to give up. They have to keep one eye on 2007 and another on the future. I think if they do somehow acquire him, that it's going to be strictly a rental and that Buerhle will go to the Cardinals in the offseason.

One could make an argument that the White Sox would have a real desire to take Vargas and Gwynn for Mark B, but we'd have to see what other offers come their way. Claudio is not the SP Mark is, but he would not be a FA nearly as soon either.

I think if Doug would call and offer Vargas, Gwynn, and another real prospect, like Zach Jackson, the Sox would be forced to compare that with others, and go from there. Personally, I hate to deal solid players or prospects for a 2 month rental, and especially a pitcher, who is a single pitch away from being worthless for those 2 months.

That said, if the Crew needed a SP badly, the above would probably be a good starting point. Rob Mackoviak and/or a solid middle relief guy might even push me to the positive side.

What has Vargas done to deserve being pushed from the rotation? I have been trying to find the answer for this question for about 2 weeks now. Why do people want to bump Vargas - I think he has been our best pitcher.

[ What has Vargas done to deserve being pushed from the rotation? I have been trying to find the answer for this question for about 2 weeks now. Why do people want to bump Vargas - I think he has been our best pitcher. ]

This is what scares me, and most others

And yes, I do see that Suppan has the same WHIP, but Suppan's been the recipient of bad luck, given his normal G/F ratio success.

Quote:
Why do people want to bump Vargas - I think he has been our best pitcher.

Seriously?

IP ER H HR BB SO W L ERA WHIP BAA OPSA

Vargas 72.2 33 79 12 30 63 6 1 4.09 1.50 .277 .809

Sheets 96.0 34 92 11 20 65 8 3 3.19 1.17 .246 .666

Capuano 70.1 34 71 7 28 60 5 5 4.35 1.41 .261 .734

Bush 92.1 53 105 9 18 68 5 6 5.17 1.33 .264 .739

Suppan 101.0 55 117 11 34 48 8 7 4.90 1.50 .297 .814

I'll agree that Vargas has been a very pleasant surprise to this point and he has pitched better than Suppan, but Sheets has clearly pitched better than him and an argument could be made that both Capuano and Bush have pitched better than him as well.

I think the main argument for pushing Vargas out of the rotation is that his rate stats and past pitching record don't indicate that he will continue pitching at the level his 6-1 record suggests he's pitching at.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just thought it was clear by now that Sheets is a very good pitcher http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It would be silly to trade Villaneuva for a rental. This kids been amazing.

I'd think about Inman long and hard. I'd definitely throw in Gwynn.

Maybe throw in Parra considering his stock won't get higher! Zach Jackson is a candidate as well.

Would rather do Vargas than Bush.

But I wouldn't deal Villy. He's been key to our bullpen and the guy who can finish long games and cover for a rocky starter.

I'd give a starting pitcher in Vargas and MiLB prospects.

Quote:
Seriously?

Yes, I know Sheets is great and after I said that I thougth about what I did say. Sheets is clearly the ace of the staff and has not once been suggested as being "bumped".

Vargas, I agree doesnt take the team deep enough into ballgames, and I know he allows too many baserunners, but the Brewers win when Vargas is on the mound. I dont know that there is a stat for it, but the team does seem to rally around him and give him run support. I want Vargas in my starting rotation if the decision were left to me.

All that said - I just want to hear a good reason why Vargas should go to the Pen other than he allows runners on base. I do think that Vargas might be our best guy for the Pen. I just dont want it to happen. I think he would be amazing as the setup guy(that role is filled by TBOW) because of his success with runners on base. I guess in a way I would like to see what Vargas could do with inherited runners. He seems to have a composure level that is off the charts. I do not believe it is "luck" that these guys dont get across homeplate. I think its a talent and clutch performance. CoCo has it.

You know what makes Brandon Webb such a great pitcher? It is his ability to pitch with runners on base. There is something special about a guy who is able to slow the game down when runners are on base and get those big outs. They know how to PITCH and not just throw. Certain pitchers dont have IT. They dont have the guts to throw their 2nd or 3rd(if its even in the arsenal) pitch when runners are on base. Some, like Vargas, do.

This is a guy who I want in my rotation when we get to the playoffs. I dont think he gets nearly enough respect around these boards.

Thansk for the discussion - I respect the difference in opinions.

Quote:
All that said - I just want to hear a good reason why Vargas should go to the Pen other than he allows runners on base.
Well that is a pretty big reason, but others that have been mentioned: He refuses to pitch deep into games, he has a high WHIP, he's been lucky and his track record is inferior to the other four starters (and also Villy and Yo).

Well Sparky just said he was willing trade Villaneuva, Inman, and Gwynn for 3 months of Buerhle. Tim Allen wants to trade Parra, Inman, Bush and Villy for Buerhle. Its going to be a long month of July.

If the Brewers were to offer the White Sox, Parra, Inman, Bush and Villy for Buerhle, the White Sox would take that deal right now and not even think about it. Getting 4/5 of a future starting pitching staff for a 2 month rental?

I also don't see the Brewers trading away Villaneuva as he has become too vital to the bullpen and while the Brewers would be upgrading the starting staff, they would also be creating another hole in the bullpen. And the bullpen is probably the weakest part of the team right now.

They're obviously not going to trade Villanueva. It makes no sense when a team is in contention to trade away a player who would be a huge contributor in the playoffs, at least for a rental. If it were a situation like the Dodgers had a couple years ago, where they got Penny for a few years, that would be different (granted, they traded away bad players like LoDuca and Encarnacion).

I don't believe that the talking heads have noticed a substantial market correction in recent years for rental players. Teams are not jumping at the gun to toss away young players by the bushel full. Not that I'm interested in a deal, but I think a reasonable fair trade would be Bush/Vargas and Parra for Buerhle.

I agree the price of rentals has gone down. Look at what Melvin was able to get for Lee last season. A set up man who struggled as a closer early in the season, a platoon LF, a former high prospect who never seemed to put it together (but Cruz pretty much washed this out), and a throw in A-baller (J Cordero).

I really think Vargas (a #4 or 5 with a few years left on his contract), Gwynn (a guy who isn't great, but if guys like Pierre and Dave Roberts can break the bank, why can't he?), and Jackson might be the best offer they get.

Archived