Brewer Fanatic

Anyone familiar with Atlanta? Going to Brewers/Braves in June!

brwrsfan

My and a few buddies are heading to Atlanta this year for our annual Brewers road trip. Unfortunately, none of us have ever been there and we don't have any friends/relatives that live in that area. All I really know is that it's hot and the traffic sucks. Anybody familiar with the area at all?

It looks like this closest area to stay in a hotel near the stadium is the downtown area. There are lots of hotels down there, as well as scattered all over the city. Would it be best to stay downtown (is it safe?)? Or should we stay somewhere outside the downtown area - and if so, any suggestions? Basically looking for a safe area that has a good number of bars and restaurants for us to hang out at before and after games.

In addition, regardless of where we stay, do you think it would be wise to get a rental car? I've heard there is some sort of train system that can get you around the city, but I have no idea what those hours are, if they go to the stadium, etc. I don't think we'd venture much outside of the city itself. The only other thing on the agenda is CokeWorld (whatever that is?).

Thanks for the help.

One more thing....anyone else venturing down there for these? Might be cool to hook up at a bar or something.

Atlanta is absolutely huge and sprawling, so if you're looking at going anywhere outside of where you're staying, then you'll need a rental car. Coke World is actually pretty cool and fun and its right downtown.

As for safety - well, it's a big city. Be smart, but otherwise, you'll be fine. I was there by myself, driving, as a 22-year-old female and had no issues.

The airport is fairly far south of the city, so keep that in mind.

It's been a few years since I've been there, so I'll check with a few of my sorority sisters that live there and get more detailed answers to your questions.

I was last there in 1996 for the Summer Olympics and the rapid transit system was a good way to get around. In fact, at that time it was the ONLY way to get around. There was a station fairly close to Turner Field (or whatever it's called).

As far as safe - hey if your group sticks together and acts respectful, you won't have a problem.

I believe that CokeWorld was built for the '96 games (Atlanta is the home of Coca Cola if you didn't know) and while I don't remember specifics, we spent about 5 hours there and had a great time. Probably been revised quite a bit since then.

My in-laws live south of Atlanta, and my brother-in-law is a firefighter with AFD. I've been to one Braves game, and I took the MARTA rail system. The rail system won't actually get you to Turner Field. When I was there, you had to get off the train, walk through the Underground Atlanta shopping center, and then catch a bus to the field.

Is is safe? If you feel safe walking around Chicago, you'll feel safe in Atlanta. I was approached a couple times by people trying to sell things to me, but I politely declined and walked away. The best thing about Georgia are the people. Most people say Midwesterners are friendly, but I'll take Southern Hospitality any day.

Yes, the traffic sucks. One part of I-75/85 is 14 lanes, (7 lanes on each side) and I still ended up at a crawl near the interchange of I-20. Once you get south of I-20, it's pretty clear sailing especially to the airport.

I'm venturing down to the Braves series, as well. We're driving, though -- only about a 12 hour drive from Milwaukee, and probably cheaper than flying and renting a car.

I'd imagine there will be a good number of Brewer fans in ATL that weekend. If you were in Boston last May, you can attest to how well our fanbase is starting to travel.

My father's from Atlanta, and i've been there probably 20 times. I would recommend taking the MARTA, as ATL's traffic is HORRIBLE. The city has grown too much over the past 30 years and they haven't added enough bypasses around the city to take care of the problem. Coke world is fun. I went there two years ago, it's right next to underground atlanta(another fun kinda touristy thing). Personally, i would check out the Varsity:

http://www.thevarsity.com/locations.php?action=view&store_id=9

It's probably one of the more famous ATL restaurants and perfect for game day style eating. The Georgia Aquarium is new(opened 2 or 3 years ago), and is huge. I'd recommend it. Also, Stone Mountain is very cool if you like history.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I've lived in the atlanta area for 15 years...

1. rent a car...marta hasn't exapaned since the mid 90's and it's not simple to use...the station at underground atl is a ghost town now

2. the world of coke moved to centennial olympic park last yeare, which is where all the touristy stuff is like the aquarium (whale shark) and CNN

3. the area aound turner field has been vastly gentrified in the last few years, but there isn't anything to do there but go to a game...people don't tailgate at all...they just park, go to the stadium, then leave in the 6th innings http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

4. i don't know how old you are, but most of the non-tourist trap restaurants and bars are outside of downtown, though downtown is convenient to the stadium---i recommend buckhead/midtown (the lennox square area/peachtree) if you want to spend some money, and the little 5 points area or the city of decatur (about 5 miles from downtown) f you are looking for young locals hangouts...

5. the airport is a 20 minute ride from downtown, and while marta will get you there, it will not be convenient...atlanta is like LA, Houston, or Jacksonville---you need a car if yo want to see anything more than your hotel room

i can tell you anything about the city, so ask questions and i'll help you out---i'll likely be at one or more of the games as well

I go to a concert festival in midtown Atlanta every other year. We fly in, grab the Marta right at the airport, ride the same line all the way to midtown, arrive in midtown, party/atttend concert/stay in hotels for a couple days, depart via Marta, arrive at airport, fly out. Just Marta and our legs is all we need. A little crummy if you get caught in the rain, but that's life.

That said, I don't know where Marta makes stops relative to the ballpark.

Other than that, not sure what else to contribute. It's the south, so expect slow service and hillbilly English. Pretty friendly people, though.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I live in Nashville, TN and usually travel down to Atlanta for at least one series a year. Downtown is safe, but right outside of downtown you will find better rates on hotels. If you want to live it up gangsta style, Buckhead is where you want to stay, it's the wealthiest part of Atlanta.

A buddy and I are going down for the June series too. It would be great to meet up with some of you guys for some beers or whatever during the weekend.

Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

I'm venturing down to the Braves series, as well. We're driving, though -- only about a 12 hour drive from Milwaukee, and probably cheaper than flying and renting a car.

I'd imagine there will be a good number of Brewer fans in ATL that weekend. If you were in Boston last May, you can attest to how well our fanbase is starting to travel.

I was actually in Boston last May and there was a lot of Brewer fans there...of course, I was also in Houston and there were probably 20 Brewer fans total at the game....so we'll see I guess.

We're all 26-30, if that makes a difference to anyone that wants to meet up. Thanks for the info, I'll have to reread all this a few times to get the best place to stay I think.

Stay away from the lower end hotel/motel chains around Atlanta. While those are usually perfectly fine along the interstates and in the midwest, the ones in and around Atlanta tend to be not so nice and in areas that aren't that great . Stick to places like Fairfield, Ramada, Holiday Inn that are slightly higher price but worth it in Atlanta.

If you do have a car, you might want to check out Stone Mountain. It's pretty family orientated but it's a neat place.

In June one thing you are sure to encounter and that is oppressive humidity. Don't let the fact the temp usually aren't higher than 90. 90 there is very uncomfortable.

Buckhead is the place for the night life but it is upscale.

Oh and if you drive, bring a map. If you're off the interstates, the roads can be very confusing as lots have similar names and are quite winding.

"It's the south, so expect slow service and hillbilly English. Pretty friendly people, though."

Midtown Atlanta is probably 80% people not from the actual south

Ugh. I didn't beam myself to Midtown with a particle transporter. My "slow and bad english" comment is as much to do with my experience in their airport and riding their Marta as it is my time spent interacting with locals in Midtown. And I've vetured outside Midtown on these trips, too. And I've been to other parts of Atalanta on other trips I didn't detail in my post. And one of my best friends lives in Atlanta. And I have family from the south. And the girl I'm seeing is from the south. Enough? Geez. And I doubt the accuracy of your 80% statistic anyways....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I was in Atlanta for work in 2007. I'll second the Stone Mountain recommendation. It was my favorite thing that I did while I was down there - quite a little workout getting to the top of that thing. CNN Tower was alright. I don't exactly remember, but I think the Aquarium was at least $35 and the place was swarming with kids. The whale shark was cool; I liked it, but I'd put a little bit further down on my list of things to see.

With the Braves game that I went to, I was struck by the greeters going into the park and how friendly they were.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as the Brewers are heading there for the weekend...roll call for anybody going?

The three of us will be there Thursday - Monday. I've done quite a bit of digging around and caught some stuff on the Food/Travel channel that looked pretty intriguing. We're staying at the Sheraton Hotel downtown, not sure if anybody knows exactly where that is or anything near it....

Not sure the timeframe for this stuff, but we'll be doing the following things in our time away from Turner Field:

Tours of the Sweetwater Brewing Company and that Atlanta Brewing Company on Thursday, if we can actually time it out right to get them both in, they have limited tour times it seems but that's the plan for now.

World of Coca Cola on Friday afternoon

Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles restuarant at some point

Vortex Bar/Grill for some crazy burgers as well

Both were seen on Man vs Food - Atlanta

And probably a few bars along the way....

Buckhead is a cool area to spend some time. Even if you don't stay at a hotel there, take MARTA up there for a night. Underground Atlanta is real close to Turner Field, that's worth a visit. If it's your cup of tea, Gold Club and Cheetah 3 are quite outstanding...just ask any pro athlete.

I live in town and will be at all three games. We will have a nice sized tailgate set up along the row of trees (the only place you can have an open flame at Turner Field) on Saturday, brewer flags, chairs, jerseys, etc, should be easish to pick out stop by if ya want.

A few things

1. Rent a car- Marta only goes N/S & E/W, anything off the trail is going to be buses and that is where MARTA gets sketchy real quick. Regarding going to the game on MARTA that is fine, but you either have to get on the bus or walk the 3/4 mile (which I suggest, its not bad and there are people everywhere).

2. Sweetwater is by far and away the better of the Breweries, highly suggest that one.

3. Buckhead is really no longer the buckhead of old. There are still shopping and upscale resturants, but the party scene of the past is dead and gone. If you want to do that I would suggest some of the villages around downtown, like Virginia Highlands, Little 5 Pts, Inman Park, Grant Park, Decatur or Midtown for a little bit more upscale. These all have a number of bars around and there will be people wandering on Friday or Sat night.

4. Regarding safety, the rule of thumb is anywhere below i-20 is questionable and dont go downtown at night unless there is something going on. Midtown is fine (the portion of downtown across from Georgia Tech/Atlantic Station) and there is always something going on there.

5. If it is your first time coming you have to go to the Claremont Lounge, easily the most famous place in town and the one where there is not anything else like it in the world. Just trust me (assuming its a bunch of guys, but the place is usually 50% hot women on the weekends, of course not the performers).

6. DO NOT GO TO UNDERGROUND ATLANTA. NOT SAFE. Is only cleaned up when the Olympics, Super Bowl, Final Four, etc is in town.

7. Another great place to eat is Fox Brox BBQ, good old fashion southern BBQ and good tunes playing.

8. The Bodies exhibit is at Atlantic Station right now if you are interested in that.

So there is a bit for you. I am in your age-range and live here and can probably help you with whatever you need. Feel free to send me a PM or stop by the tailgate on Saturday and have a beer.

Cheers

ScottC

Archived