Brewer Fanatic

Rosenthal says teams asking about Brewer RHPs

Rosenthal at Fox says teams have asked about trading for various Brewer RHP, as part of an article on the 'slim pickings' among starting pitchers in the trade market:

Quote:
Teams have asked the Brewers about the availability of righties Dave Bush, Claudio Vargas and Carlos Villanueva, knowing the team could slide rookie righty Yovani Gallardo into the rotation.

Such a move, however, would compromise the Brewers' depth, leaving them vulnerable if injuries occur.

msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7004562

Not much of a surprise, but it's confirmation of what we can all see...they have some depth that they could use to reshape the roster. At the same time, as Rosenthal notes, they have a good thing going and might be reluctant to tamper.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Vargas go at the deadline. The question is, what does he get in return? The offense should be fine, and I don't see a team trading pitching for pitching. Does he net a prospect that makes a deal worthwhile?

I'd be more than willing to do something like a Vargas for Brian Roberts type deal. I'm really confident in Villenuava being able to step right into the rotation and succeed. I think we would not only upgrade our rotation but also upgrade a 2b while Rickie gets his act together in AAA.

I still would like to see Crawford or Griffey in our outfield.

Vargas or Bush, Jenks, Gwynn, and Inman for Griffey and Weathers. Or for Crawford and Reyes?

Stocks up our pen and gives us another stud in the outfield.

I don't think it really compromises the depth too greatly to trade one pitcher. Vargas would (hopefully) be the one that is dealt, with Villanueva then sliding into the rotation. I have a huge amount of confidence in Bush's ability, and don't really have any doubts that he'll pitch well the rest of the way. Vargas, on the other hand, is a ticking time bomb. I'm not sure how much they'd get for him, but I'd be fine with a young-ish (pre-arby) OF that can hit LHP's well.

Community Moderator

I'm not sure how much they'd get for him, but I'd be fine with a young-ish (pre-arby) OF that can hit LHP's well.

That describes Matt Murton to a T. He's by far my most favorite potential deadline acquisition to thoroughly upgrade us from Mench. Too bad he's on the team that's chasing us, though.

After the season, a Vargas for Murton deal would be lovely, though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As I said in the Roberts thread, I think the offense needs a shot in the arm. I don't think Vargas is really part of the future here, but I think he's got some value right now to a team who might be struggling to put the back end of their rotation together for a stretch drive.

I don't know how much of a bat you could get for Vargas, maybe he'd be a part of a bigger deal.

It's great to have pitching depth, but I don't think trading away one starter hurts that depth too much. You can only keep Villy and Gallardo in the bullpen so long.

Quote:
I still would like to see Crawford or Griffey in our outfield.

Wierdo, if that happens, i will drive to janesville, walk into your bar and buy everybody drinks. I'd be so happy i wouldn't even bat an eye at the bar tab. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I think the offense needs a shot in the arm

2nd in the NL in runs scored...can you imagine the outcry if they were 4th?

Considering Vargas would quite possibly be non-tendered after the season, I think it's likely we'll see a Vargas-for-reliever or Vargas-for-RH-OFer before the deadline.

Why would he be non-tendered? He has a ton of value, even at $5M per. And why the talk of Vargas for a reliever...how good would that relief guy have to be to be better than Carlos V? A SP for a platoon OF? Talk about a waste of resources.

The depth card doesn't make a lot of sense over the last half of the season. Based on scouting and reports you'd have to include Parra in the list of available starters which gives you currently an 8 deep rotation of quality options. it's not #9 where things get suspect in Oxspring. Give the depth of bullpen options as well it seems almost trivial to argue that trading Vargas is addition by subtraction.

Starting pitching depth is a nice thing to have in March when you are facing a 162 game schedule.

But now that they're down to 74 games nursing a lead, starting pitching quality trumps quantity.

Vargas has been a 5 inning pitcher all season. That has overtaxed an effective but fairly thin bullpen. They have better pitchers waiting in the wings in Villanueva and Gallardo.

I'd move Vargas in a heartbeat but I'd look to land a quality veteran bullpen arm ala David Weathers in return. Then I'd start Villanueva the next 3 weeks. If he does well, he stays in rotation for the duration, and Gallardo takes a different rotation spot from the least effective starter who then becomes long man. If that happens to be the 40 million dollar man, Suppan, so be it. The team comes before the individual, and Suppan is man enough to know it. He can compete next year to get back in.

I disagree that Vargas has a ton of value, even at $5 million. He should be put in a deal that involves a reliever. Put the reliever in the pen to replace Gallardo. Gallardo would become our 5th starter. He could be skipped several times for off days to keep his innings down. I disagree that Villy would be moved to the starting rotation. I think Yost likes him in the pen. I think we would even have a better staff if Parra or Balfour would somehow replace Vargas. He is simply too inconsistent.

Quote:
Why would he be non-tendered? He has a ton of value, even at $5M per. And why the talk of Vargas for a reliever...how good would that relief guy have to be to be better than Carlos V? A SP for a platoon OF? Talk about a waste of resources.

Al, did some one highjack your account? Your posts (and blog) are usually some I enjoy reading but in the last 2 days you have compared Gwynn to Dave Roberts, but Im highly doubting PECOTA, Zips, or Chone (if anyone has the blog post that laid out all the Brewers numbers I would appreciate the link), expected Gwynn to OPS anwhere near .341OBP/.368SLUG with a 4+ to 1 stolen base ratio. Now you are saying that Claudio Vargas with a 1.5 WHIP and abnormal (for his career) BA with RISP and K/9 has value at 5 million dollars per year? Sorry but Im just going to have to disagree with you on both. Vargas is falling fast. Look at his last 6-7 starts, Im sure his ERA is well over 5. You dont think Villanueva would outperform that from here on out? I think Balfour pitching bullpen innings and Villanueva rotation innings would be an upgrade for the Brewers over Vargas and that doesnt even include the upgrade of the potential return for the Brewers from here on out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2nd in the NL in runs scored...can you imagine the outcry if they were 4th?

Yeesh, lay the sarcasm on a little heavier.

With Hall on the DL, Hardy having cooled off quite a bit, and Weeks totally forgetting how to hit, I don't think it's a stretch to say that "right now, the offense could use a boost". I know I didn't say that directly word for word, but I figured it was implied.

I also don't expect Fielder to continue to hit an HR every 10-11 at bats for the 2nd half, and if pressed, I'd guess Hart's going to cool off at some point as well.

One can argue that Roberts isn't much of an upgrade over Graffanino, and I could see that argument, but I don't think that adding a bat that might help the offense should be out of the question.

I've long thought that Vargas would be part of a package used to improve this team, and with his decent numbers this year we should be able to get something decent in return. I just think he is a classic sell-high situation as he has played over his head this year, and Melvin has said pitchers bring a bigger return during the season. Add him to Otsuka deal and bring back Otsuka, Lofton, and a prospect for Gwynn and Vargas, that is a deal I would be interested in. Then the Rangers could have him in their rotation for a few years or spin him to a contender in need of a 5th starter. We get insurance for Hall and a crucial bullpen piece for the next few years.

Archived