Brewer Fanatic

Lawrie's Switch To Second Base Official -- So Is His Blog

Crew2323

I'm not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere. I didn't see it, but that's entirely my own fault if it is. Looking at the Brewer Blog, Haudricourt has a very interesting bit of news:

Lawrie shifts to second base

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
Feb. 24, 2009 1:09 p.m.

Phoenix - I just talked with Brewers' top draft pick Brett Lawrie about his decision to switch from catching to second base (thanks again to poster Yoshii8) this spring.

When the Brewers drafted Lawrie in the first round last June out of Canada, he talked about wanting to be a catcher and moving through the ranks at that position. But, after intructional league last fall, he appaently changed his mind and requested the position switch.

"I think it's better for me right now," said Lawrie. "I still like catching. I've played infield all my life and never really got a chance to get used to catching. To go right into it is kind of tough.

"I played third base some for the junior national team (in Canada) but I played mostly second base. The way things are right now, my catching is probably behind me. I think my future might be at second base."

Beyond being very talented, Lawrie must be pretty smart, too. Farm director Reid Nichols said Lawrie knew prospects Angel Salome and Jonathan Lucroy were ahead of him, while second base is a position that's thinner throughout the organization.

Lawrie, 19, admitted to me that he thinks he can advance through the system better at second base.

"To be truthful, I think I can get to the big leagues quicker at second base," he said. "There's a lot more work to be done as a catcher. It could take an extra year to get to the big leagues. That's not really the road I want to go down. Nothing against catching, I love it and everything, but I love second base and the infield, too."

I know people have mentioned this possibility in the past, but it seems like Lawrie has been moved to 2B for a while now. I'm a bit excited about this move myself.

Again, if this is already being discussed elsewhere, lock/delete away!

EDIT: Thread Title

Follow me on Twitter

On February 10th, two weeks ago, one of our readers in Arizona brought this to our attention in this post. It's been discussed further in that thread.

Some of the other Brewer-based fan sites out there have kindly referred to that thread over the past two weeks, so it was pretty much general knowledge for many, we just needed confirmation in print from a Brewer front office type, which the JS ran with today.

In fact, it was also one of our readers who notified Tom H. about the post here. But we've enjoyed the news for the past 14 days http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

Anyway, we'll keep this thread open for this specific topic, while the other thread can remain for news specific to minor league camp.

This is definitely a move I like. Not only does he have nobody blocking his path to Milwaukee, but I don't think Rickie Weeks have done anything to suggest he is the future at 2nd base. I assume he will eventually take over for Weeks. This allows Taylor Green to stay at third, where he has played the past few years. Now I wish they would give Gamel some time at first base which is where I believe he ends up at in 2 years, or even next year, when Fielder is gone.

Time sure flies by. A few years ago we couldn't wait for Fielder and Weeks to come up, now we are talking about whose going to replace them.

I think the Brewers would have preferred he begin at 2B but weren't there murmurs that he was eager to sign with the Brews because they originally told him he could catch. Thus, it's good to see that Lawrie is behind this decision. So does that mean Zarraga is going to be the catcher at A-Town next year?

I was going to post this blog in the "Haudricourt inaccuracies" thread, but didn't get around to it.

In fact, it was also one of our readers who notified Tom H. about the post here.

I thought that name looked familiar.(Yoshii8)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Lawrie played left field yesterday for the Canadian WBC team. From what I saw he made one routine catch and played a single into a triple. He tried diving for a line drive that he misjudged and it got past him. He may have made other plays I didn't see. At bat he struck out and later hit a ball to third with a runner on first. The forceout was made at second but Lawrie beat the throw to first. He looks like he runs real well.

Apple to rotten fruit!! I love it! In the last five years, or so, Kent was one of the most overrated players in the game, particulary given his ever shrinking lack of range. And by most accounts, he always had a truly rotten personality. Lawrie will not put up the O numbers, but he will have better range. Also, Lawrie seems like a nice, team oriented player, eh? If Lawrie stays at 2B and moves up quickly, that will be the end of Rickey, but also JJ, who will be moved for pitching. Lawrie is a big piece of the puzzle: 2011 infield: Gamel at 1B, Lawrie 2B, Escobar SS, Green 3B. Salome and Lucroy behind that plate. Braun, Cain and Hart in the OF. Prince and Hardy will have been traded for pitching........

It'd be nice if he'd put a little effort into proper sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation. Cripes that was almost embarrassing to read. I look forward to the insight that will hopefully come of it.

PS-Before anyone reminds me that he is a baseball player, and not an English major, I'd like to make sure they know that I am aware of that.

It'd be nice if he'd put a little effort into proper sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation. Cripes that was almost embarrassing to read. I look forward to the insight that will hopefully come of it.

PS-Before anyone reminds me that he is a baseball player, and not an English major, I'd like to make sure they know that I am aware of that.

He's Canadian http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I understand that a blog isn't a newspaper article. It is still a form of communication, and in this case somewhat formal and certainly a representation of himself. I guess I just think it reflects somewhat poorly on him. That doesn't mean I won't be in Appleton (hopefully) in a month or so cheering for the guy.

Has anybody read the comments on Lawrie's blog? This one caught my eye.

I am a huge Brewer fan and a brewer exprt, especially the off-season stuff. Are you in AA, or AAA?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived