Brewer Fanatic

Odalis Perez

I realize that Mark A. has pretty much came out and said that the Brewers wouldn't add payroll before Opening Day, but with the Nationals releasing Odalis Perez should the Brewers at least inquire on his services?

He's been a fairly solid, but not spectacular, hurler in his career and has some experience. Plus, he's left-handed--always a bonus. I don't think he would be a detriment to the team. The question would lie in where you put him--rotation vs. long man in the pen.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't read about other teams' interest in him in the past couple of days.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If the Brewers were to sign Perez, I can't imagine him being in the rotation. He'd almost have to be the long man in the pen, and he'd probably be the third option behind Villanueva and McClung. Also, I wouldn't want to sign him for much more than the minor-league deal that the Nationals signed him to, so I doubt he'd accept.

I liked him as a potential signing better than Looper, espcially once it transpired that he would take a minor league deal. Of course, that turned out to be not exactly accurate, but I would offer him a $1 million major league deal with a few hundred thousand in incentives. I think he can help a team as a 5th/6th starter. He's currently undervalued and getting him for less than $3 million or so would be a steal. The Nats should have just changed his deal to a major league one and kept him.

Archived