Brewer Fanatic

Any HR people here?

alorrigan
I am going to take the high road for a second time despite someone again attacking my field by using stereotypes and generalizations by requesting that this thread gets locked. In these various rants, replace "Human Resources" with your field and see how it makes you feel. If the thread doesn't get locked and this continues, I can't promise the high road will be taken a third time.

Their Human Resources director is out of the office till March 9.

I don't get it. HR people can't take a weeks vacation or go for a weeks training or whatever?

They can vacate all they want. It just doesn't make sense to take one when you are currently hiring a position and you know people are going to be trying to get a hold of you.

I'm sure there are plenty of really good HR people in the world. It's just getting really sickening that every one I have tried to contact has ignored me or lied to me. I understand you are busy people but just take 2 or 3 minutes to effectively communicate with me.

I'm sure there are plenty of really good HR people in the world. It's just getting really sickening that every one I have tried to contact has ignored me or lied to me. I understand you are busy people but just take 2 or 3 minutes to effectively communicate with me.

Just like when you said, "I'm sure there are some good HR people ", I'll say "I'm sure there are some good job seekers " BUT....

From MY perspective, most job seekers have no idea how to effectively communicate themselves. From their resumes to their interview skills - let alone their phone skills, most candidates fail miserably, but it's always HR's fault....

I deleted the rest of my reply because it started to turn into a "rant".

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

More ranting material. I just sent an email to a place that I sent a resume, cover letter, and letters of recommendation to and guess what? Their Human Resources director is out of the office till March 9.

"Come work for Human Resources. You'll never feel like your at work, because you won't be!"

Wow, this is impressively out of line. The attitude is just wrong, naive, silly in so many ways. Victim mentality, sense of entitlement, the whole nine yards. I feel bad for the HR people on this board who might've happened upon this nonsense.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Wow, this is impressively out of line. The attitude is just wrong, naive, silly in so many ways. Victim mentality, sense of entitlement, the whole nine yards. I feel bad for the HR people on this board who might've happened upon this nonsense.

Extremely condescending post, whether you agree with alorrigan's attitude/posts or not....

They can vacate all they want. It just doesn't make sense to take one when you are currently hiring a position and you know people are going to be trying to get a hold of you.

If it is a decently sized company they might be hiring/filling jobs most of the time. Should they not take a vacation then?

Sorry for the long post. For those that don't want to read the whole thing I'll sum it up. I apologize to anyone that I may have offended in this thread and what's below explains my frustrations. Some of the things that I said were inappropriate or inconderate and once again I am sorry.

Have I stepped out of line in this thread? Yes. This started out as me just getting some things off my chest and turned into an all out bashing of HR people. I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended for that. I'm not going to say that my situation is unique, because I know that it's not. I know a lot of people on this board have lost jobs and are going through the same process I am. I'll just explain my reasons for the things I have said in this thread and maybe you can see some of my frustrations. After this I will never post in this thread again and hopefully it will vanish into the annuals of the board and never be mentioned again.

You're told your whole life that hard work and dedication will get you far in life. When I got to college I realized I could graduate in three and a half years if I worked hard. I accomplished that. You hear that the best things you can do to help your future career while in colllege is internships, of which I have done two and also worked for the college in the same position for which I am applying. So in three and a half years I have done what takes many college students five years to do. I was expecting and was told that by graduating in the middle of the school year instead of the end there would be less competition for jobs. I know that because of the sad state of the economy many jobs are being eliminated and the few that are open are being filled by people who have lost their jobs because they have experience and I guess I can accept that.

I wouldn't be so frustrated by this all except I have a lifelong medical illness that, while not life threatening, is rather costly. As I neared graduation I began to look at insurance options in case I would not be employed because I need insurance to take care of these bills. Well because of my illness I was told by insurance companies I was uninsurable or it would be ungodly expensive. The only way I could get insurance would be to get a full-time job with benefits or stay in school and stay on my mom's insurance. So I enrolled in the MBA program at the school I graduated from as a backup because it is still cheaper than the overly expensive health insurance and also would make my resume a little more impressive.

Perhaps most of my frustration comes because of my mother. I still live at home and have to deal with her daily wonderings about why I don't have a job yet. She asks me if I called this place or that place and why didn't I email them. I explain to her that I'm researching daily in the paper and online and I'm sending out resumes and cover letters and when I do try and contact these places I'm not able to get in contact with anyone. I think she's beginning to think that I'm lying about all this. So despite telling her the god's truth I usually get the mom's stink eye and it's starting to make me feel like a free loader.

So yes, I'm a little frustrated and again I apologize to anyone that I offended but it just bothers the heck out of me. I've worked hard in the classroom and for my internships and jobs and have had the few people that have interviewed me tell me that I have a very impressive resume and done all the things that I was told to do to get a job but still don't have one. No, it's not HR's fault. To me, it just doesn't seem like they are trying as hard to hire as I am to get hired. I've said this in just about every post and it may sound mean and insincere but just communicate with me. Someone had posted earlier that they didn't feel like candidates know how to communicate. I'm not being forceful or inconsiderate when I call them. I simply state my name, that I sent my resume regarding this position and ask if they received it. I have only once actually talked to someone on the first call and we set up an interview right away. And when I don't get someone I leave a message with my phone number. All I need is a call or an email. If I'm not a candiate just tell me and we can both move on. Please don't leave me hanging.

Sorry for the long diatribe but I just wanted to clear the air. I came off as an inconsiderate jerk in some of my posts but I hope you can understand my frustration. One final time, I'm sorry to anyone I offended.

You know, when this thread was started, I actually went to work the next day and examined my follow up routine. Went through my out box, my notes... Basically I took this thread and used it as a small tool to help me look at my job through the eyes of a prospective employee. Honestly, I did. I just so happened to take part in a training session with others in my field a couple of days later and one of the talking points was "follow up and customer service" And I brought this very thread up. (Brewerfan.net making a difference in the world yet again!).

Anyhow, Everyone wants a call back, or an email because - Yes - it sucks to be left hanging. I know. Personally, I always try (try) to give closure to people - the ones I've meet with and interviewed at least - even if it's not the answer their hoping for.

As for responding to every resume or phone call from a every candidate, wow. I wish I had the time. Just doing some quick math, if I spent 3 minutes with every single person who calls me or emails me a resume, I'd spend better than 2 solid hours each day just talking on the phone with candidates who didn't meet what I'm looking for.

Anyhow. Good luck to everyone looking for work. Seriously, I wish nothing but the best for everyone out of work right now.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived