Brewer Fanatic

Blake DeWitt

fleehaw

With the Hudson signing, it looks like DeWitt might be relegated to a backup role with the Dodgers (unless Casey Blake moves to LF). He would be an interesting target for the Brewers being LH, inexpensive, and seemingly a decent glove at 3B (or 2B).

Even with the eventual return of Hall, I'd prefer a DeWitt platoon instead of Lamb. I just wonder what he'd cost to obtain.

DeWitt's not likely to put up better numbers than Lamb in 2009 so I don't see any reason to give up anything to get him. DeWitt's not that good.

DeWitt put up a .727 OPS as a 22 year old in his first season in the Majors. Yeah, it's quite possible that he won't be better than Lamb in 2009, but if he develops, he'll be a great fall-back option if Gamel can't stick at third.

We have Green probably in two years though if Gamel can't handle third. If we are stop-gapping this year, we probably would be fine to stop gap in 2010 with Billy and someone cheap like Lamb for one more year. I still wish Green were moved to second, but I digress into a story for another thread on another forum.

We have Green probably in two years though if Gamel can't handle third....I still wish Green were moved to second, but I digress into a story for another thread on another forum.

That's one of the major potential issues, though. Not only does Green have a major injury to work through this year that may cost him a year of development, but he also needs to have success at two more levels of development before he even touches the field in Milwaukee, and that jump to AA is a major make-or-break jump in development for most prospects. Even if he does find that success in the rest of the minors, when he makes it to Milwaukee, we'll have a much clearer picture of where we stand with Rickie Weeks as a player, and he may be asked to play 2nd at that time.

Long story short, you don't hinge long term plans at a position on a guy that had great success in A+ ball, but is a few years away at a minimum.

Archived