Brewer Fanatic

HDTV. Looking for a good deal

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Alright folks, I'm not an internet shopper. Aside from woot occasionally (And this woot-off sucks, BTW).

I'm looking at something around a 34" tv, I'm not particular to brand or whatever, but I'm wondering where people go for the best deals on these things. I can go to Best-Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, you-name-it, but I know the best potential deals are online. Where?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen, its not so easy to find great deals online for TVs as it is for anything else. Things might be cheaper, but shipping costs are usually high. That said, I do see really good deals pop up every couple of weeks on buy.com.

Also, Target had a 32" 720p Westinghouse for $350 when I was there the other day. Probably a little outdated, but still a good deal for that size.

*cough* There's a nice Mitsubishi 48" for sale in the trading forum. *cough*

Anyway, Best Buy is usually decent...you can usually get them to price match if needed. I would check amazon as well to see what kind of prices are out there (often you can get free shipping). I've had good success with Sears, too.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Avoid Wal-Mart. They tend to have lower prices due to having inferior quality TVs. Target can be similar.

As to online TV buying, returns can be a big hassle and they usually only accept returns when a certain number of pixels burn out. I'd likely stick to Best Buy or more likely an Olevia or Vizio from Costco or Sam's Club.

I bought a 46" Sony before Christmas. That's when the deals were the best. Just bought a Canon camcorder. Got both from the Walmart site. I checked Newegg, Tigerdirect, Bestbuy and others but found Walmart at least as good pricewise and better at the time I bought these two items. The thing I liked is shipping to your local store is free for many if not most items(it takes a bit longer but expensive things won't be sitting on your porch or you don't have to arrange to be home at delivery time) and you can return it to your local store if there's a problem. They do charge sales tax though because they have a local presence. But then again, you're supposed to report non-taxed internet purchases. I have bought from Newegg for other things and been happy. There are a lot of items at the Walmart site that aren't carried in stores. Both Walmart and Newegg normally have lots of buyer reviews on the products that help a lot.

Yeah definitely avoid Wal-Mart. They get TV's that are brand name, but just a little bit off like they are special made with features left out. Fewer inputs, lower contrast ratios, and other stuff. Not bad, but just a little off.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If you live near a Circuit City, you may still be able to take advantage of their liquidation sale. The Circuit City near me (South Bend, IN) still receives new shipments daily and has HDTV's 30-50% off. When I went earlier this week, CC had a sizable inventory of current generation Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, and LG sets in a wide range of sizes. Excepting the floor models, all of the TVs were still in the box (full warranty, etc.). I wasn't looking to purchase a TV, however, so I didn't price check the Circuit City discounts against internet sources.

I went to Circuit City a few days ago, and I was extremely unimpressed. Most of the TVs they had seemed like they were actually more expensive than normal prices for the same model at other stores. I'm pretty sure they mark stuff up quite a bit in order to get those 30-50% numbers.

Logan3825 is right, always be sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at TV's from WalMart, Sam's, Costco or even online places. WalMart and Costco both sell brand name TV's that look very similar to more expensive models from the same manufacturer and people fall for it all the time. Check the exact model number to compare.

As an example I bought a BluRay player from Amazon.com just after Christmas. I saw what looked like an identical one at Costco for $20 less but knowing the trick WalMart and Costco like to play I checked the model number and saw it had an extra "S" or someting in the model number. The Costco version did not support Blu Ray Live, and had different sound capabilities than the one I bought from Amazon although the packaging was nearly identical, the players and remote are identical to look at but they are different.

Check all the stats on a TV to compare not just lines of resolution, but refresh rate, Mhz, 24f/s capability, color saturation, black levels, number of HDMI inputs, etc. Some of the cheaper TV's like Vizio will claim equal footing with much better TV's based on meeting one criteria but missing a lot of other criteria. It all depends on what you value in your TV and how you plan on using it. I would search for reviews online for any TV before buying. Sound and Vision Magazine has a lot of good reviews online or archived. Searching by model numbers usually gets you some good information or reviews.

Another good website that may be of interest to people is www.monoprice.com This place sells HDMI, optical cables and such for much lower prices than retail stores. I bought an HDMI switcher (my oldest HD TV only has 1 input) for around $10 here versus $40+ at Best Buy.

I must say I have been disappointed in the so called deals at Circuit City. I walked around the store near my office and found the TV's to be priced fairly similar to Best Buy, American, and Crutchfield. That may be different now as the last few items are really pushed.

I bought a spool of 14 guage speaker wire that was 30% off since I needed some for a new run to my surround speakers but when I was in Best Buy the next day I saw the same spool of wire was actually $1 cheaper than the 30% off spool from Circuit City.

I went to Circuit City a few days ago, and I was extremely unimpressed. Most of the TVs they had seemed like they were actually more expensive than normal prices for the same model at other stores. I'm pretty sure they mark stuff up quite a bit in order to get those 30-50% numbers.
Yeah...on another message board I frequent, this guy who apparently works at a Circuit City stated people should wait three or four more weeks for the really good deals.

I got a decent price on an Onkyo receiver there a couple weeks ago, though of course I found out later I could have gotten it even cheaper online. I can't complain, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm also in the market for a TV in the next couple months. If anyone on here has a recommendation for a TV around the 45-50" range, that'd be very much appreciated.

Also, can I get some input on Plasma vs LCD? I've heard pros and cons on both, but would love some more input.

On the Plasma vs. LCD issue I would think about what you plan on using the TV for as a first step. If you are a video gamer I would steer toward the LCD - - burn in on the plasmas have improved but it still exists. I watch CNBC every morning before work for maybe half and hour and there is a faint ghost of the ticker and info box from the HD broadcast on my plasma. If you plan on watching movies mostly I would lean toward the Plasma, they tend to handle colors, especially blacks, much better. They also tend to have a smoother feel to motion. LCD's have made great strides in processing speeds and the old "screen door effect" isn' t much of an issue anymore. My 7 year old 60" Sony LCD has a little issue with sports where I can notice the pixels not keeping up with fast moving sports action but I think the newer LCD's have improved greatly on this factor. LCD's are usually better in bright rooms if you watch a lot of TV during the day but honestly my plasma does just fine in our main floor living room full of windows.

As I mentioned above check out Sound and Vision magazine's online pages and search for TV reviews. They usually give a good review and tend to make note of best value for the budget as well. Not everyone is going to buy a top of the line Elite Series from Pioneer but you don't have to buy a Westinghouse or a Vizio to get a good deal either.

For LCD's I am partial to the Bravia line by Sony. They also have another line of very similar TV's that are a little cheaper without quite all the top of the line features and then there is a third line that is the bare bones models typically sold at a Wal Mart and discounters. Samsung did have some good TV's a while ago, they are one of the leading makers of the glass used in the displays and try to make sure they always are on the latest greatest generation of glass for their top of the line TV's. When checking out the LCD in the store try watching some high speed sports like hockey, football, baseball, to make sure the picture moves smoothly, it should only be a potential problem on the cheaper TVs. Also check out something with a lot of black color, but remember the TV's brightness and contrast may be set to something ridiculous in the store.

For Plasma I like Panasonic and Pioneer(the high end Pioneer are expensive though). Panasonic has a lot of well reviewed TV's that are priced fairly well for their capabilities.

I will admit I hate LG and any LG electronics product. Every friend who has owned an LG TV, phone or DVD player, has had numerous issues and gotten huge hassles trying to get them fixed.

I will also admit to being a bit of an electronics snob - - I will pay up for features that some don't care about or even notice are missing. I actually have both HDTV's professionally calibrated as an example.

I own a Sony Bravia LCD and highly recommend going that route. I always get compliments from friends and family on how much crisper the picture looks on my HDTV than theirs.

I initially wanted a Panisonic/Pioneer Plasma because I had read that LCDs had less color (especially deep blacks) and motion blurring, but I settled on the Bravia because it seems as though the lifespan of an LCD is a little longer especially with the possibility of burn-in on the plasmas. With the settings on the Bravia for color, saturation, contrast, etc. I can get an excellent picture. Motion blur has also not been a noticeable problem for me and I do a lot of gaming.

My advice would be to invest a little bit more money into a purchase like this and make sure you are getting a quality product.

Another thing to consider is if the tv is smaller than 50 inches, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. A trained eye can usually only tell if the TVs are side by side. This tends to be a marketing ploy that a company like Best Buy will use to try to get you to buy a more expensive TV. I have had more than one friend call my 42" 720p panasonic plasma a 1080p TV because the picture is so crisp and clear.

Also, I recommend getting a plasma if your main use is for sports - as is with the case with mine. I still play a little NHL 09 on my Xbox with this TV, but this is definitely not the TV's main use. I get an excellent picture and have not had any issues with the screen not being able to keep up with action - a more fluid motion. My main reason for getting a plasma is my roommate last year had a 40" sony bravia and when watching sports, every now and then the tv would not be able to keep up with the fast paced action during sports, such as a hard hit line drive, a hit or pass in football, or hockey checks and shots. I also have not had any issues with image burn on. My TV will automatically shut off if nothing is being displayed - this helps prevent image burn on. Also, if you are smart enough to turn your tv off when it is not being used, you shouldn't have much of an issue with image burn on.

Also, I know that my TV's standard definition looks much than on the Bravia. The SD Brewer games I watched last year looked much crisper on my TV than on my roommate's Bravia. In my opinion, the color on my TV seems to be a little more vibrant too, but I have not compared them side-by-side, so there might be some bias here.

However, if your set on getting a LCD, take Schlitz's advice anddefinitely go with the Sony Bravia; it is the best one on the market. Also, take spend the money on a quality TV, you will be happy you did.

I think the reason that LCDs are preferred in bright rooms is because their screens are more reflective. I also think they have started to make screens that are less reflective.
I think you mean Plasma screens are more reflective. They're generally more of a glossy finish while typical LCDs are more of a matte.

To save money, go with a 720p/1080i set over a 1080P. The difference in upgrading to 1080P is negligible but the price is not.

I have a 720p 50" Panasonic Plasma. MJL is right in that burn-in has been reduced, but it still can be a problem for hardcore negligence. The set is most susceptible to burn-in within the first 200 hours of use. If you use common sense and don't have a stationary DVD menu on the screen for hours at a time while leaving it at it's retina-damaging in-store settings, you shouldn't have an issue. Sets nowadays take extra measures to correct and prevent any problems with burn-in or image-retention that may arise. I've noticed even the slightest image-retention only once in the year+ I've owned my television. It was actually just a days weeks ago, and it went away within a few minutes of normal watching.

Also, lifespan of a set made nowadays with regards to the pixels is a non-issue. We'll be on a totally different technological plane (yay holograms!) before plasmas made today reach their half-life of brightness.

I think the reason that LCDs are preferred in bright rooms is because their screens are more reflective. I also think they have started to make screens that are less reflective.
I think you mean Plasma screens are more reflective. They're generally more of a glossy finish while typical LCDs are more of a matte.
Yup, sorry. LCDs are preferred in light rooms because plasmas have reflective screens.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not only are plasma screens more reflective, but most actually have a chemical compound that is put on the screen to try and make it less reflective. Note to anyone who owns a plasma: never ever use cleaning supplies on a plasma screen like Windex or something of that sort. The chemicals are too harsh and will screw with the anti-glare compound. Also, make sure to use a microfiber cloth as even just a paper towel can be too abrasive for the sensitive material.

As far as 720p/1080i/1080p, I'm going to disagree with the majority here that say there is not much of a difference. If you're watching blu-ray's or HD-DVDs, you're going to want a 1080p tv for anything over 40" or so. Anything under 40 or so, definitely do not spend the extra money; in that case it's fairly unnoticeable, but I know I just recently upgraded my Westinghouse 32" 720p LCD to a Panasonic 46" 1080p Plasma and besides the difference in size and make of the tv, the 1080p is a huge difference to me. When playing xbox 360 or ps3, or watching blu-rays/HD-DVD's, it is absolutely a huge difference.

Plasma/LCD? It's definitely up to the user. Both technologies have gotten so much better with time that they're main weaknesses of the past aren't as big of a deal anymore. Plasma's last longer than they used to and burn-in isn't as much of a concern. The anti-glare coatings some of the tv's have fix that once big-issue with plasmas. LCD's are starting to get quicker response times (which more $$$), and are starting to get better for sports and quick action. Honestly, I would probably reccommend a plasma tv, just because of it's fluid motion (480 hz as opposed to 60/120 on an LCD), and the higher contrast ratios which will make you're blacks blacker instead of somewhat gray like they are on my LCD. I would go with LCD if you're looking for under 40", have a ton of sunlight or reflective lights in your room, don't want to spend the extra $$$ on electricity every month (plasma's consume a lot), or just want something thinner and more lightweight.

If you do decide on a plasma though, be very careful for the first 100 hours of usage. The first 100 hours are the most sensitive to burn in. So you want to have something on the tv without the bars (widescreen) and without a static image for an extended period of time. When I got mine, I ran Planet Earth on HD-DVD on it for a full day before even using the set. Than I just made sure to change channels every 15 minutes or so, as to not let watermarks or anything burn in. Also, make sure you never have to set the TV on it's side for anything as it will ruin the set.

Any way you go with this decision though, you'll for sure be happy with the product.

Archived