Brewer Fanatic

WBC Fan or not

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't get the argument about potential injuries. I would say the chances of losing one of your star players in the WBC is only slightly higher than losing them in any other spring training game.

Most ball players give 100% 100% of the time, and some ball players already have inflated egos. If you take that type of ball player and the WBC, representing ball players around the world, says "We think you are one of the very best from your country, we are inviting you to play in a tournament that is played for the pride of the country you represent, that will undisputedly decide that your country is the very best.", I think that guy is going to try and give 1000%. Pitchers are going to throw harder, Fielders are going to play harder, Everyone is going to play harder, and eventually, someone is gonna get hurt. I know it wasn't WBC, but remember what happened to Laporta?

Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

• 2 weeks later...
Got to thinking when I saw DeRosa starting over Braun in tonight's game. I don't think I'm being a homer when I say that if you were managing a big game and choosing between those two, there's no question you'd start Braun. Then we have Jeter taking out Rollins in the 5th after Rollins goes 2-for-3 with very good defense in the field. Why? So what are these games? They feel a lot like the all-star game to me...have to get everyone in, keep everyone happy. Is it entertaining? Sure. I don't hate the WBC, but does it matter or get me excited? Nah. Maybe some of the other countries are playing to win, but it feels like an exhibition tournament for team USA.
I am not Shea Vucinich

I agree that the timing is terrible, but I am enjoying it immensely. Just yesterday watching the first 4 innings of Italy was great fun. If Macha was watching that I wouldn't be surprised if it affects his decision on DiFelice.
Formerly AKA Pete

I think the setup is kind of a joke, too many of the best players sit out and the timing is terrible.

But I'm watching part of every game and most of every US game. So I'm enjoying it, I just think it could be done a lot better.

Right now I'm watching AUS @ Mexico. Some pretty sloppy baseball, but the worst part is the announcers.

It's good to be watching some ball, I'm fine with the players electing to leave their clubs to play for countries. I'm happy that baseball is enjoyed in other places, I sort of wish we had the National pride other teams fans show.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

mark di felice tossed 4 scoreless inning in team itay debut last saturday. the venezuelan powerhouse abused of jason grilli in the fifth and the azzurri failed to bring home any of the 9 baserunners they had in the first five innings.

rottino did the catchings and was useless with the bat.

tonight we play canada, if you want to here an italian radio broadcast made by a brewerfan.net member check http://radio.playitusa.com/.

if we get a chanche we'll interview di felice (we asked for him and punto) yesterday we talked to alessandro maestri (in the AA cubs franchise), and he pitched well vs venezuela.

I don't have to much problem with DeRosa getting a start over Braun. Would I rather see Braun in there? Of course but it doesn't bother me. I do have a problem with the whole Rollins/Jeter platoon thing at SS. I wouldn't care if they were just starting every other game but this playing half the game things I don't like at all. And really if it were up to me I would start Rollins every game. I know Jeter is the "captain" and all but Rollins is a far superior overall player.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really enjoyed the games this weekend and managed to watch all or parts of 5 games on saturday and sunday. The one change i wish they would make, is that teams like Korea and the US that have already clinched should not have to play a meaningless game before advancement. While this is a great tournament all of these players are owned by there respective teams and not their international baseball teams. This is just another chance for injury. The fact that Chipper already went down wouldn't sit well with me if i was a braves fan. To through Lilly out during a meaningless game would annoy me if i was a cubs fan.

I think they make so many rules to protect pitchers from injuries to make them play a meaningless game seems to somewhat fly in the face of this. I know there would be 4 less paydays in the first round, but the goal is to get through this thing injury free.

I also agree with some setiments that this tournament would be better served to be done in October or November and not March. It would be much more competitive and most major leaguers would have rest and those that played in the world series could pull out if they wanted.

I really enjoy the WBC. Last night, even though it was only 39 degrees outside, I felt for just a moment like it was midsummer with games that count. It was particularly enjoyable seeing the United States playing better than last time.

I have no problem with the WBC. I like the idea of limiting pitchers to PC to protect them from over use. They are all competitive and probably would go to far, with that said they should expand the BP size to allow for more pitchers.

I really enjoy watching other styles of baseball play. The eastern style of play really doesn't look a lot like our Western style of play. Plus, watching DR lose to Netherlands was pretty awesome. Who would have thunk?

Got to thinking when I saw DeRosa starting over Braun in tonight's game. I don't think I'm being a homer when I say that if you were managing a big game and choosing between those two, there's no question you'd start Braun. Then we have Jeter taking out Rollins in the 5th after Rollins goes 2-for-3 with very good defense in the field.

The thing is, it wasn't a do-or-die game for the Americans. I'm sure that if they were facing elimination, Braun would have started in LF and McCann would have started at C. Davey probably set the lineup differently based on winning the first game vs. Canada.

I do agree that the SS stituation is pretty stupid, though. There should be a baseball reason for making the substitution.

I hate how the announcers brought up the great play Rollins made against Canada, and then said it was no question that Jeter would have been able to make a similar play. There is no way Jeter makes that play. He had a similar play in garbage time against Venezuela and didn't even bother trying to throw it to first. I also don't like the mistake ESPN made to show a commercial during the only hit Braun's had so far.

The WBC is growing on me. I like the timing because it's been months since I've seen baseball. Hopefully USA can make it to the third round.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

My Mexican in-laws were visiting so I watched the Mexico/Australia game last night while flipping back & forth with the USA/Ven game. The two games were quite a contrast as both Mexico & Australia have limited pitching while the USA & Venezuela have rosters of All Stars. Still I found both entertaining and overall feel it's worthwhile. As pure entertainment the games are much better than spring training games. As long as the participants and managers don't get stupid and overdo it I think it's a good thing.

Those that point out the poor timing are correct but I doubt the ratings would be high enough at any other time of year to justify doing it. At this time of year we're craving baseball and in my opinion this isn't a bad entertainment option.

My Mexican in-laws were visiting so I watched the Mexico/Australia game last night while flipping back & forth with the USA/Ven game.
Man, I wish I had ESPN Deportes...that game looked like a wild one.

Robin19 wrote:
I hate how the announcers brought up the great play Rollins made against Canada, and then said it was no question that Jeter would have been able to make a similar play.
The funny thing is, yesterday Sutcliffe was railing once they took Rollins out for Jeter: "Are you trying to win this thing or are you trying to make everyone happy?"

And DeRosa was great yesterday so I have no complaints...less risk for Braunie, besides.

Those that point out the poor timing are correct but I doubt the ratings would be high enough at any other time of year to justify doing it. At this time of year we're craving baseball and in my opinion this isn't a bad entertainment option.

True. I'd imagine (at least in the states) they do not want to compete against the NFL or NCAA football if they did this after their season. It would also be interesting to see how many players would play after the season. I would think it's easier to get more guys since they have to be there anyways. I like the WBC. I think if the Olympics kept baseball as a sport I wouldn't like it as much, but since that's gone this is really the only international tournament for baseball.

The funny thing is, yesterday Sutcliffe was railing once they took Rollins out for Jeter: "Are you trying to win this thing or are you trying to make everyone happy?"

I was loving it when I heard Sutcliffe saying that. I certainly don't dislike the WBC, it is great to see real baseball in March, I just wish I cared more. I wish it felt more like a big deal, and little things like that make it feel exhibition-like.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Does anyone have any idea how hard/easy it is to get tickets? I'm going to be in Florida next week for spring break and will try to get to Miami for the next round, but I don't want to buy tickets in advance really because I have no idea if I'll make it there.

Archived