Brewer Fanatic

WBC Fan or not

Personally I am pretty excited about the tournament. Gives us all a chance to see some competetive baseball early in the year. I would rather not see Gallardo throw for Mexico but I guess thats what you have to live with for the enjoyment of the tourney. Am I guessing that all the games will be available on MLB network so thats a plus rather then the few they had on ESPN the last time around. But aside from the injury standpoint are you guys excited or not? I must also admit that I am a sucker for hype so that may be a reason that I get jacked up for it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a big fan of it mostly because the timing is so bad. I don't have a better solution for the timing but it messes up spring training and the MLB players are never ready to play at top level for it.

I'll still watch it and enjoy the individual games though.

For all the goodwill & positive intentions behind it, it's not MLB so I wish it would go away. Lots of hype over something about which I couldn't care less.

Racine native Vinny Rottino playing for Italy? Stretches like this happening all over. Ridiculous.

Agree on the timing thing. I think it is hard on pitchers. Most pitchers only throw their fastball for the first few times out in spring training. Sometimes not even mixing in their off speed stuff until the final couple week before the season. For position players I think it is ok. Other than worrying about a Brewer pitcher getting hurt, I really couldn't care less. Seems like a good idea for the rest of the world though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I like it. I wish the US took it more seriously like the US does for USA Basketball. Then it would be great.

The baseball season is so freaky that it will screw up anytime they play it. I'll watch it, and root for the USA, its a good warm up for the regular season.

Going into the first tournament, I was pretty ho-hum about the thing. But when I saw the national pride exhibited by the teams and fans (mostly Latin and Asian), I thought it was pretty cool.

We'll see if this one brings the same enthusiasm.

I would like there to be more international competition--not less. Stuff like the Pan American Games, Olympics (if they'll bring it back), and the WBC. And it would help if there was some continuity from one set of games to the next regarding the American roster. It just seems slapped together all the time, whereas the Cuban National Team is largely the same team from games to games.

I kind of liked the first one, it was more entertaining than spring training games, but it wasn't on the level of the Olympics or World Cup or other things like that for me. It will take time to build up that prestige and it might never happen because those other events are marked by people going all out to win, which can't necessarily be said of the WBC yet (at least, not for all the teams). I'll watch it again though.

I guess I don't think our guys playing in it is that big a deal. They would be playing in spring training games anyway. I realize the main concern is with the pitchers, but there are rules in place to protect guys from overuse.

I think the tournament overall is a good idea, as it can only help spread the popularity of baseball internationally. That will be a good thing for MLB in the long run.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think it's more exciting now that many of the games will be broadcast on MLB network (if I'm not mistaken). Ideally, I'd like to see it played in November. However, I don't think the players union is a big fan of that and I think there is more excitement surrounding it in the Spring when everyone is starving for baseball.

I do think the qualification of who plays for what team is crazy (i.e. Rottino, DiFelice). I know our resident Italian poster (Kalle8) won't agree, but I still think it should be done similar to the Little League WS with possibly 4 regions of the US represented along with multiple teams from the Asian and Latin countries.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I've got to say that I'm pretty indifferent towards the WBC. Sure, it's baseball and there is alot of national pride in the event but too many guys (esp. pitchers) are risking their career with an arm injury. I know there is just as much risk in spring training games, but, to MLB players who are paid pretty substantially, this is small potatoes, at least until maybe the semi-finals or so.

I'm sure I'll watch a little bit, but I won't be going out of my way to change my schedule to see these games.

Curiousity has set in here: did I read correctly a while back that after this year's WBC, they will go to a 4-year rotation? I believe they only made it 3 years this time so they would not be on the same rotation as the World Cup, Olympics or anything else. Is this correct? Does anybody else remember this?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I am a huge fan of it. But I do not think American MLB fans is its target audience. This tourney is designed around the "World" teams. But with that said I think it is great. You get to see the next big import playing for there home country much like Dice K in 06, who looked unreal back then.

PS...Yu Darvish is who I am excited to watch.

Sitting in an office surrounded by my Japanese co-workers during the WBC provided, perhaps, the most joy I've ever had watching sports. Silently relishing as the Koreans fauht back and watching my co-workers anguish and criticize every move was delightful. The office cleaning lady was offering up strategy for Sadahara Oh. And when Korea won again in dramatic fashion? I swear I saw tears. The country was seriously questioning their world standing. Baseball is very important in Japan and to lose, to the Koreans of all people, just added fuel. Good day indeed!

Throw on the terrible call in the US-Japan game and the degree that the American ump was vilified. I love this tournament!

Ichiro now says we want to beat Korea so bad they won't want to play us for 100yrs. Oh...the drama.

I just hope we can watch the Tokyo round here!

It isn't about pitch counts, it's about throwing the off speed stuff before your arm is ready. Either that or starting throwing early so your arm is ready and wearing out earlier in the season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I like it. During the last games, my now 3-year-old son was an infant, and the games gave me something decent to watch in the middle of the night when I was up with him. Of course, I get so baseball starved in the middle of winter that I've actually considered subscribing to ESPN Desportes simply to get Mexican League games, even though I don't speak Spanish.

Are all of the games on MLB Network, or are some going to be on ESPN? I have Dish Network, and they haven't picked up MLB Network yet.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm a big fan of it but it makes me nervous that a star will get hurt in it. This is the best time to have it because a mid season would be scary for teams and at the end of the season everyone wants to rest. I just wish there was a way to have all the best players playing at their peek levels. That would be great!

I don't really care for it. These guys already play 162 regular season games. I understand they would be playing spring training games but no one goes all out in spring training and a lot of guys only play half a game. Plus they are away from the team which is a time to come together as a team and get ready for the regular season. Plus if a guy gets hurt playing in this meaningless tourney I would be upset.

I love it. I watched as many games as I could in 2006. It's much better than just watching spring training games with AA players playing huge chunks of the game. I almost like it more than the first few weeks of the MLB season just because every game matters that much more. If the US doesn't win I don't really care, it's just nice to see some baseball played where everyone on the field is playing as hard as they can to win, instead of going through the motions for a paycheck.

I wouldn't really say I'm excited, but rather interested. There's nothing exciting about the possibility of losing one of your best players to injury before the regular season even starts. But, I will admit that the whole playing for the country aspect of it does pull at my heartstrings a bit. I'll put $20 down that Japan or Mexico wins this thing and at least one big name gets hurt.
Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

It feels like the worst idea in the world before it happens, but when the games were on, I had a hard time turning away from it in '06. As much of a hit as the guy has taken over the past couple of years, Roger Clemens in a USA uniform just felt right. He may have been a cheater, but you really believed that it meant everything to him to play for his country. If the USA team comes across that way in '09, then it will probably be intriguing. If it looks like the USA is treating it like highly attended exhibition games, then I may catch a couple of Dominican Republic games (their lineup is unbelievable) and then wait for the real season.

Archived