Brewer Fanatic

Improv Comedy in Milwaukee

Braminano
I just thought I'd let everyone here know that I perform at the Alchemist Theater in a group called Meanwhile every other Friday at 10pm. It's long form improv where we have a guest tell a story and then we do scenes revolving around themes and ideas from the narrative. It's a lot of fun and we've sold out every show thus far. Here's our website: http://www.meanwhileimprov.com/ and you can get tickets to our show at http://www.alchemisttheat...se=viewShow&showId=75

good to know. Next time I'm in Milwaukee I'll check it out. Out of curiosity where did you learn the art of Improv from? It's a fun form of comedy to do but can be demanding. Kind of funny to me how most people think it's just winging it yet in many ways it's very structured and rigid. Lot more going on than just quick thinking.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm assuming you guys are much more talented than Michael Scott and his Improv comedy class.

This sounds like a great idea for an evening out with the wife. I can't make it, of course, but I would think many people here would appreciate new and different ideas for "date night" or whatever.

I love improv comedy and can be pretty good at, or at least so I'm told. Sometimes I don't even realize that I'm doing it and people are cracking up left and right.

You're right on about the structure needed in the comedy. However, I've noticed that many performers seem to hold on tight to the same basic schtick and just do variations of it every time, even though the improv suggestion was "way out there." Not just on "Whose Line is it Anyways" either--some comedy clubs I've visited more than once was pretty much the same basic formula for the improv bits every time. Got old kind of fast, especially when you saw the jokes coming from a mile away, since you had basically seem them before.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Interesting stuff. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Milwaukee. I live in Chicago and am able to see a lot of improv down here (I've taken a lot of classes myself). Not sure if you're thinking about moving onward and upward but if you are Chicago is the improv capital of the world and a great place to cut your teeth.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I did Comedysportz in High School, which taught you more of the short-form "Whose Line is it Anyway?" style, which has its ups and downs, the biggest problem is that some performers develop a schtick that they always go to. I did more improv in college and took classes at Second City as well. I also host an audio program called "Host and Guest" where I've had the chance to interview some of my favorite comedians and improvisers in Chicago, which has been very insightful.

Improv is kind of an interesting beast as there are a lot of rules that are given to beginners to help the scene work, but as you get better at improv, you start to realize that those rules don't necessarily matter and that it basically boils down to reacting and being clear with your intentions so your partners on-stage know what the audience is seeing as well. Sometimes you employ the rules...sometimes you bend them....and if you're good, it all works out somehow.

My last few years in highschool my friends and I would drive down to the east side of Milwaukee every Sunday night to see the Dead Alewives perform improv. They usually had a band at intermission and it took place at a smaller venue where audience participation was required. It was a lot of fun.

I've never had the courage to try and perform, but my hat goes off to you guy who have. A lot of my favorite TV and movie actors seem to have come from places like Second City and UCB.

I should probably pay more attention to improv.

However, I will say that nothing disappointed me more than when Comedysportz Madison started doing shows at the Pizza Hut on State St. You'd go there planning to watch a game on the big screen TV and gorge on that wonderful buffet and WAM!...denied. It was the cause of many clenched fists and scowls among my friends in college.

They usually had a band at intermission and it took place at a smaller venue where audience participation was required.

Oh the irony. My first experience as a paid comic was for a local band in the 80's. I would do my stand up routine at 8 the bad would start at 9 and I would do improv during the band's breaks. It kept the crowd going and was a lot of fun. Oh the memories.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braminano,

Have you seen an Armando Diaz at IO in Chicago? It's pretty freakin' funny. One of the guys from the Sonic commercials is a regular.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I've managed to miss the Armando Diaz experience (although that has a huge influence on us), but I have seen TJ Jagodowski perform and he is fantastic. While I haven't seen the IO's Armando Diaz, I have seen the UCB edition of it three times.

Archived