Brewer Fanatic

Gagne signs minor league deal with Brewers ($1.5 million if he makes roster, up to $3 million more in additional incentives; see reply #34ish)

PKBadger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy was pretty lights out in a set-up role at the end of last year, and still has very above average stuff. As far as I'm concerned, you can never have enough guys on the staff with big game closing experience, and by my count, Hoffman, Gagne, Julio and Coffey all have that. Plus with the team still considering Chad Cordero and Izzy...wow, on paper at least, that looks like a solid pen.

There's a good chance he could be pitching in Nashville, correct?

not necessarily, jsonline is reporting that there is a date he needs to be added to the 40 or become a free agent. I guess that doesn't mean we couldn't find a spot for him and ask him to start the year in Nashville.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

'Rillo, why are you so high on Morlan? Have you followed him before? Or just because he was a Rule 5 pick? I don't know much about him (save for the articles during the Rule 5 draft), so I'm surprised to see someone so high on him already.

I wonder if Gagne has one of those "not called to the majors by X date, I'm released" clauses?

I thought my buddy was joking when he sent me a text saying this. I like the move and could be a good 7th inning guy. I too agree that he seems like a good guy and really wanted him to succeed last year. Boy does he make me nervous when the game is on the line though.

I do not remember the details but I do recall that once, maybe twice, Gagne did some really great things helping local charities, giving away tickets or something to that affect. I recall I thought it was really amazing since he would get booed before he even threw a pitch.

Let's hope this works out for him and the Brewers (and us)!

I like this move a lot. The Brewers are doing a good job of getting arms in the 'pen and hopefully pick the right guys to make the team. Gagne is a good guy and hopefully both parties benefit from this. I wonder what other interest he had?

I am fine with this. (that's a relief, eh Doug?) I think of it as he's working out with the team. If they have a place for him on the 25 roster on Opening Day he sticks around. If not, I bet they've agreed to DFA him so he can catch on with another club.

If he can match his second half, he'll be a very solid option for us. I wonder if this ends the Brewer's interest in Chad Cordero though. I actually hope they still pursue Cordero, as it's never a bad thing to have bullpen depth (and by all accounts, Cordero won't be ready until mid-year), and having depth is always good at the trade deadline.

We do have quite a few arms to choose from though even without a Cordero.

Hoffman, Villenueva, McClung, Riske, Julio, Coffey, Stetter, DeFelice, Dillard, Morlan, Swindle, Gagne. That's 12 guys for 7 spots.

It seems that there should be no excuse for our team to not have a top level bullpen next season. (It's also kinda fun to think about how we would have reacted to having this bullpen 5 years ago).

Archived