Brewer Fanatic

Lays Hickory BBQ Potato Chips - Where have you gone?

brwrsfan

I'm hoping that someone, anyone on the board can help me.

My friends and I (mainly me) became moderately addicted to Lays Hickory BBQ Wavy Potato Chips. Not sure if anybody else has ever had them, but I think they're incredibly good. About 18 months ago, they started disappearing from grocery stores in the Milwaukee area. I ran into a Lay's vendor one day and asked him about them and he indicated to me that he thought they were being discontinued due to lack of selling. They were replaced in most stores by Dill Pickle chips (which sounds gross to me). This was extremely disappointing to me but what can you....they don't make them any more.....

This was all fine and dandy until I went to Houston a couple of weeks back. Happened to stroll through Walmart for something and there they were, in all their glory....an entire stand of them. Just sitting there. I promptly purchased some but you can't really bring them home on an airplane so my excitement was short-lived. However, it showed that they definitely were NOT discontinued. I called some more stores around here and got nowhere. The chips are still made, yet not carried anywhere I can find them in this area. Here's where I need help.

Does anyone know of any stores (grocery, gas station, anything) in the metro Milwaukee area that still sells them? Or know of a wholesaler or something where I could buy a case of them? I tried going through Lay's directly but have gotten no responses.

Yes, this is very sad that I'm going to these measures for potato chips but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Here's a link to what the bag looks like:

http://www.fritolay.com/o...ays-wavy-hickory-bbq.html

...They were replaced in most stores by Dill Pickle chips (which sounds gross to me)...

I'd recommend trying dill pickle chips if you haven't. I think my all-time favorite chips are Old Dutch Dill Pickle chips...they seem to be packed with way more flavor than almost any other chip I've had.

mmm....chips

"Chips aren't for tasting...their for eating." - a quote from my buddy Jeff, and words to live by

ditto to BBQ Fritos. Now all you can find are normal and the Chili Cheese flavor. I'm not talking about those Honey BBQ twist fritos, either. Just plain BBQ flavor. Can't find them anywhere.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

maybe it's a whole conspiracy by the BBQ sauce people. Or a bunch of KC Masterpiece fans that are vindicating their sauce's good name.

Or maybe it's fans from Kansas City that are taking action that their practice of BBQ-ing is only meant for meat, and not potatoes and corn.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Well, the presence of the Hickory BBQ chips on the Lay's website is a sign that they're still being made for someone.

On the where-to-buy part of their website, I picked Lay's Wavy Hickory BBQ Chips from the list of products, and found no locations within a 50 mile radius of Madison, Milwaukee or Green Bay (just entering random zip codes from those general areas). When I entered a Kenosha zip code, I found numerous locations in northeast Illinois: Winthrop Harbor, Zion, Waukegan, Great Lakes, Gurnee, Antioch, Grayslake. Many of the locations were Jewel stores.

So a road trip across the border looks like it might pay off. Disclaimer: Frito Lay only says the stores listed have sold the product in question in the last 30 days; so if something happened to cut off the supply in the last month, you could still be out of luck.

FTJ, I did the same search for Ruffles Authentic BBQ and none of the local-ish zip codes I entered yielded results. I tried one from Seattle and got five pages of results; maybe you can hammer out a deal with EdgarDiazRocks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif (edit: also in Portland! The next time the in-laws ask what you want for Christmas...)

Peavey, they also had the Fiery Habanero Doritos on the "where to buy" list, but every zip code I entered brought no results. However, you can sign up on Amazon to be notified "when" it's available (64 single serving bags!).

I couldn't tell you why this search fascinates me. I don't think I'd be a fan of any of those chip flavors myself. I guess it's the thrill of the hunt.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My inlaws live in TN, they think I suck, they won't be sending me any chips anytime soon.

My parents live in OR though, -- see above..

D'oh, I fail at FTJ's life. At least I knew you had some family living in Oregon.

(Tennessee? Like Derrick Turnbow? There has to be a connection...)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

When I entered a Kenosha zip code, I found numerous locations in northeast Illinois: Winthrop Harbor, Zion, Waukegan, Great Lakes, Gurnee, Antioch, Grayslake. Many of the locations were Jewel stores.

So a road trip across the border looks like it might pay off. Disclaimer: Frito Lay only says the stores listed have sold the product in question in the last 30 days; so if something happened to cut off the supply in the last month, you could still be out of luck.

That's some good work....one of these days I'll need to go through there for something.

The Hot Wing/Blue Cheese Doritos were awesome. I agree, they need to return as well.

I also miss the cereal that is immortalized as my avatar: Crunchy Corn Bran...so delicious.

I still think that Crunchy Corn Bran exists. I couldn't find it in Stevens Point but someone at work who lives in Waupaca was picking it up for me on occasion about 6 months ago.

Archived