Brewer Fanatic

Provus hired to replace JP

Team Canada

From TH:

Cory Provus, formerly of WGN Radio and the Chicago Cubs, was introduced this morning as the Milwaukee Brewers' newest radio broadcaster. Provus, 30, was introduced on WTMJ-AM (Radio 620), the flagship for the Brewers' radio network. "I can't wait to get going," he told WTMJ this morning. Provus will replace Jim Powell, who had called Brewers' games on radio with Hall of Fame broadcaster Bob Uecker for 13 seasons. Powell has joined the Atlanta Braves. The Brewers moved quickly to make sure Provus was in place in time for the first spring training game on Feb. 25 against the Oakland A's. Provus was in the Brewers' sights early on and was a finalist with Jeff Munn, who hosts pre- and post-game radio shows for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Provus is a native of Highland Park, Ill., and a graduate of Syracuse University. At WGN, Provus handled pre- and post-game Cubs shows and working play-by-play on Cubs games for one inning, spelling regular Cubs announcer Pat Hughes in the 5th inning. Before coming to WGN Radio, Provus worked radio play-by-play on broadcasts of Alabama-Birmingham football, basketball and baseball games. On the radio this morning, Provus cited two broadcast influences in his life: Brad Sham, the voice of the Dallas Cowboys, who happens to be Provus' cousin, and Pat Hughes, the radio voice of the Chicago Cubs and a former Brewers' radio broadcaster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about this. When I was first reading the article, I was thinking "Fine... this guy is a Cubs fan, but who really cares? I'm sure he'll be fine!" But then I got thinking what I would be like in that position. I consider myself a die-hard Brewers fan, and if I got a job with the Cubs, I don't think that would change. The difference between Powell being a Braves fan and Provus being a Cubs fan is the Cubs are our division rival, who many Brewers fans hate. It drove me nuts every time Daron Sutton used to gush over Eckstien, and that was just 1 player he was familiar with from his Anaheim days. In my opinion, it's just nice to have guys in the booth who have a passion for that team, a la Uecker and Jon McGlocklin for the Bucks.

But all that being said, I'll give this guy a chance. He may be excellent, and I'm hoping he is because Uecker isn't what he once was and probably won't be around much longer.

I kept my mouth shut because I really disliked the idea of hiring anyone tied in anyway to the Cubs to come and work for the Brewers. I know I shouldn't care, hire the best broadcaster available and all that... but the dude is a life long Cubs fan and I'm unable to put my hatred of all things Cubs aside. There had to be a better option than this guy... I'm unclear if the Brewers hired this guy or if WTMJ did, either way, come on guys...

He could be the best broadcaster in the business and it won't matter to me, I'll always be wondering if he's being genuine or not.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

That he worked for the Cubs doesn't bother me, but the guy is a native of Highland Park, and thus a lifelong Cub fans. I've heard him doing games during Hughes' bathroom breaks. He's okay but nothing special. There's hundreds of guys out there that are just as competent that aren't tied to the Cubs.

This is a terrible decision that compares to the time they brought in diehard White Sox fan Loren Brown to replace Merle Harmon.

This guy will jump into the Cubs booth the minute Pat Hughes retires.

It took some time for me to get used to Wayne Larivee after he jumped from Bears to Packers, but Larivee didn't grow up a Bears fan so I could accept him.

So first we get Wayne Larravee, Mr Bear for a couple decades. Now we get an Ill native, who's worked for the Cubs for many years himself? He may be a great announcer but I expect a healthy dose of genuine homerism during my radio Brewer broadcasts and there is no way this guy can give me that. Fair or not, I'm never going to believe him when his voice indicates excitement over a Brewer play. Can you imagine when he's calling a Brewer/Cubs game? I can't wait!

I basically can't stand listening to the broadcast on TV but always loved the radio broadcast. This is very disappointing.

Well he'll be tested early enough with the ST Cubs games. I'm sure Uke will "have words" with him should the need arise.

The guy may be good, even great and I'll give him a chance, but PR wise the BRN should have known this would raise some ire.

I guess if he calls a good game, I suppose I can get over the whole Cub issue. But I'm not hearing great things about him purely as a broadcaster.

(I posted some stuff on his affinity for the Cubs in the "Powell leaving" thread. It's pretty gruesome.)

Assuming a guy can competently describe a play, and can be objective about it, the most important thing to the fans listening is that the guy has a passion not just for the game but for the team he is describing on a daily basis. I'm sure Provus will feign passion for the Brewers and if he's around long enough, perhaps he will acquire some attachment to the team.

But how long was Powell here? 12 years? The first chance he got to go "home", he did it. So much for his attachment to the Brewers.

But how long was Powell here? 12 years? The first chance he got to go "home", he did it. So much for his attachment to the Brewers.
Come on...I don't think you're being really fair with that. I'm guessing JP had other chances to leave before this, and didn't. You can't fault someone for returning to their home area. I mean, judging from Powell's statement on the front page of this site, he clearly weighed the issue heavily before making a decision.

I think we as Brewers fans have become jaded due to players seemingly always leaving at the first opportunity to do so that we project that onto everyone connected with the team, for whatever reason. Yeah, this has been a tough off season in some ways, but I'm not going to get all angsty about the first change in the radio booth in 12 years. I loved Powell too, but I'm not going to blame him for moving on. I'm sure Provus will have some growing pains sharing the booth with the legendary Bob Uecker, but I don't think the Brewers would have hired him if they didn't see potential in him to become an elite baseball radio announcer who can't at least hold his own on the airwaves.

I sound like I'm talking about the Brewers farm system, so I'll shut up now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

TMJ already sucks so it doesn't surprise me they made a sucky decision with this. As said, working previously for the Cubs wouldn't be a problem if he was just an import, being a life long Cubs fan is a problem. I only listened to games on the radio while in the car so it won't be a big deal to not listen at all anymore. Uke has become mostly unlistenable anyway.

I was thinking maybe I over reacted initially then I received a text from my 1 friend who's a Cubs fan... the only part I'll quote because it really drew my ire was "Miller Park really is Wrigley North, maybe we can broadcast the games for you as well?"

It didn't initially occur to me that this was more ammunition for the fire.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"This guy will jump into the Cubs booth the minute Pat Hughes retires. "

Hughes is only 54 years old. It might be 10 years before he retires.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really dont care that he worked for the Cubs, although it does irk me some that he grew up and is a die-hard Cubs fan. That said, I'll give him a chance and judge him on his play calling ability, but let it be said that I dont trust him.

I really dont care that he worked for the Cubs, although it does irk me some that he grew up and is a die-hard Cubs fan. That said, I'll give him a chance and judge him on his play calling ability, but let it be said that I dont trust him.

The way I look at it, if you can't trust a dude to pee accurately in a non-trough receptacle, how can you trust that guy to call a Brewer's game.

Archived