Brewer Fanatic

Hi, New Brewers fan, new to the site.

SoundsFan17

Hello, I am a lifelong fan of AAA Nashville Sounds living in Nashville, TN. Over the years the sounds have traded hands with major MLB clubs like clockwork. First the Reds, Yankees, Tigers, Twins and Reds shared Greer Stadium for awhile, Pirates, and now the Brewers ( maybe one or two I forgot to mention). I have folllowed them very closely for several years, but I'm not really a history buff. Just a guy that goes to lots of Sounds games, drinks beer, and throws peanuts on the heads of unsuspecting senior citizens from the cheap seats when the lights go out for the post game fireworks.

But I have had an epiphany as of late. My whole life since I was a little kid I have been a fan of .... the Boston Red Sox. And when I say fan, I mean religious nut. I don't really want to get into the details because they are a little embaressing.

Anyway, the point is, the Red Sox were life to me because I suppose I suffer from the underdog complex and when they won, and then won again, I started not to feel the same way about them anymore.

It's hard for me to explain because I don't even understand it myself. I cannot talk to my friends about this. My whole wardrobe is Red Sox. But I started to realize, much like the guy in the romantic comedy who is looking for the super hot girl but finally realizes that the girl next door is practically begging for him, that I LOVE the Nashville Sounds and the players, I have been coming to these games since I was about five years old and there is a reason for that.

It's time to support a REAL team. Of homegrown talent and not overpaid ego maniacs like Manny Ramirez. A National League team where they play baseball the way it was meant to be, where there is no ogre DH sitting on a bench the whole game waiting to come out and hit a home run and the pitcher has to bat, just like Babe Ruth, Sabathia, and although I don't like the Cubs, you gotta give it to Zambrano, he can hit too. So this is basically my declaration disowning the team I have followed my whole life. Call me a traitor, because I am. I don't expect anyone, especially my friends to understand, but I have my principles and it just feels right. I'm leaving the Nation to join a Crew. I just hope you will accept me, I need some new friends.

Go Brewers

Nashville winters are WAY better than Milwaukee winters.

Theres so much stuff it's ridiculous. A whole storage space. I have Wade Boggs RC autos. Some I will sell, some I will keep, and some I will keep untill I'm 60 when the price is through the roof,sell and take a vacation. I have Trot Nixons ALCS wristguard.

Do you have any connections to Massachusetts or New England? Or were you just a Red Sox fan?

Anyways, welcome to the bf.net Nation. I actually hear a lot of stories like yours -- I think it's a reason why the Brewers are actually one of the more popular MLB teams.

No connection to New England, but I do work with several people from Milwaukee...and they are Rays fans! i really love it up there and it was awesome when that sportscaster went off when that guy( i don't keep up with basketball) got drafted to the Bucks and he was all disapointed and he let him have it. I think Prince is my favorite Brewer, is he locked into a contract?

I, too, will welcome you with open arms. The Red Sox are probably my "favorite" of the evil empire teams (Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox) and I cheered for them to win all those years until they finally won it all in 2004. Now, they're just another team of gotta-haves and fans that are way over-spoiled.

Welcome to our Crew. Hope to see you around during the season!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I find the Milwaukee-Nashville reciprocity to be pretty neat. Nashville doesn't have MLB baseball, but their AAA team is a Brewers affiliate. Milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team, but our "AAA" (AHL) hockey team is the top affiliate of the Predators. I hope it stays that way for a long time. ....And Milwaukee is known as the "German Athens" while Nashville is called the "Athens of the South". It's a neat kinship.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I too rooted for the Red Sox as my AL team for quite a while. When they won it all and turned into a version of the Yankees, although run well, I moved on to the Devil Rays and White Sox (White Sox just because I hate all the Cubs fans around me).

If you have no actual geographic connection, it is much easier to switch teams. I still don't think its a good thing to do, but I am often drawn in by certain players or organizational philosophies I like. You may find that with the Brewers Soundsfan. They certainly have the players, and its hard not to like their GM and Owner's approach. Now that Yost is gone, hopefully we can get behind the coaching staff too.

Soundsfan, welcome to the "good side". I found myself in a little bit of a similar situation as you. I live in Appleton, WI which is home to the Wisconsin Timberattlers, which had served as the Seattle Mariners Low-A farm team for the last 15-years ish. During this time, the Brewers were terrible and for a while a little bit tough to find on TV outside of the immediate Milwaukee area, and while I always wanted to see them do well, I also found myself starting to follow the Mariners a little bit more and more each year, because I was rooting for their farm team ever since I could remember, and I just felt a connection to guys like Griffey, A-Rod, King Felix, Ibanez, Buhner, etc., because they were either players I saw play in Appleton growing up (for however brief), or just players I tried to emulate. Of course, now that the T-Rats are a Brewers farm team starting this year, it's a perfect storm. I'm beyond excited. If you ever make it up here to Wisconsin for a Brewers game and also want to check out our Low-A team an hour and a half to the north, tickets are on me.

This site, and the people on it are a tremendous resource.

Welcome to the Crew.

I have Trot Nixons ALCS wristguard.

So, presumably you're rooting for Trot to make the Brewers' big leagues roster. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, I'll add to the chorus of welcomes. Like others here, I found the Red Sox 2004 title charming - not only because St. Louis lost in the process - but by 2007 they had become yet another tiresome too-high-profile franchise for my taste. (Visiting Boston in spring 2008 and touring Fenway, while interesting, did not warm me up to the Nation one bit.)

Incidentally, Prince is signed through 2010.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Thanks for all the support. It was totally unexpected. I'm also WAY into beer and beer tasting, homebrewing and the like. Message me sometime. I will be selling and trading alot of my Red Sox collection and am in the market for a retro uniform Prince Fielder McFarlane.

I have to admit, it felt pretty good to see Braun, a guy I personally watched develop here at home, hit a home run at Fenway Park. I think the transition has been seamless for me so far. It feels great. It feels right, and I have already got me some new Brew Crew gear. Amazingly, it is still extremely difficult to find Brewers gear here in Nashville. I'm keeping my eye on Caleb Gindl. I think he'll be here in Nashville soon.

Archived