Brewer Fanatic

Lorenzo Cain

As it stands right now, I don't think he's likely to be a September call up, since he's not on the 40. Of course, that could change over the next few months. He's had less than half a season at AA+, so a lot obviously depends on how he does this year. He's certainly one of the favorites for the job next year if he does well.

Based on projections from ZiPs, it looks like an average CF is expected to OPS .750 this year, while a .715 OPS is in the lower 40%. If he could be in the .730 OPS range with decent defense, he might be a nice cheap option for the Brewers next year.

Cain has developing power, he's a true 5 tool prospect.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I only saw him last year during Spring Training, but based on that and all of the reports I've read about him over the past year, he seems like he could be like another Mike Cameron, great defense in his prime, good HR potential as well as SB, could be a 25/25 or maybe even 30/30 guy (ok, that's probably wishful thinking, but who knows), but will probably struggle with average, maybe a .270 hitter? I would be very very happy if he could be the starting CF starting in 2011 and give a .270 25hr 25sb line with great defense

Lorenzo Cain should be looked at as a very strong possibility for the starting CF job in 2010. We need to cut salary to account for Suppan and Hall's contracts, and losing Cameron and replacing him with a minor league callup would be the best way to offset those salary increases.

We'll obviously have to see if he can keep hitting decent, but a .750 OPS in the majors isn't out of the question if his power continues to develop. I'm hoping he turns into a .280/.340/.450 hitter. That's not great, but according to his defensive reports it would make him at least league average.

He's definitely got a shot. This next wave of minor leaguers is gonna be more hit and miss, but from what I read Cain truly has an upside. If his numbers are better in AAA than AA I think he'll be just fine. If he regresses somewhat I'll be more skeptical.

I haven't watched Cain closely, but everything I hear indicates that he has a wide range of skills and tools. If he has a good year, there's no reason he shouldn't be in the mix for CF in 2010. He's one of the few players in the system that has both upside and no real obvious downside.

Robert

He has the five tools, but personally I need to see more than the month and a half he has spent at AA/AAA before banking on him for any role in the future. I'm certainly rooting for him, but I don't count on anyone until they have had at least a full season at AA or above to prove they are worthy of true prospect status.

Hey at least he's doing better then Charlie Fermaint. I would guess if he hits .280/15/70 this year which isn't out of the question AAA is going to be stacked so he'll have protection in the lineup to see good pitches he'll have a better then even shot at taking over center next year. although who knows what kind of trades we make this year.

Archived