Brewer Fanatic

Why is Cody Scarpetta on the 40 man roster?

cwolf2012

I was recently over at BCB and noticed that Cody Scarpetta is on the 40 man roster, but has only played one season of minor league ball and is 19 years old.

Anyone know why he's been added? To my knowledge, he's not a Rule 5 draftee, so why would he need to be there? Seems like such a waste of a spot.

Because his original contract was voided immediately after he signed it when it was discovered he needed more surgery. It's a rule technicality, he'll be on the 40 man his whole way up the ladder.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It can sorta of handicap a organization but usually the guys on the end of the 40 man roster dont have much hope of turning into anything.

The Tigers added both Andrew Miller, and Rick Porcello as soon as they signed, the Yankees have Andrew Brackman and the Pirates Pedro Alvarez. The difference is that these guys mention are much better players and prospects, not 11th round draft choces.

The Tigers added both Andrew Miller, and Rick Porcello as soon as they signed, the Yankees have Andrew Brackman and the Pirates Pedro Alvarez. The difference is that these guys mention are much better players and prospects, not 11th round draft choces.
1. Scarpetta is an excellent prospect at this time

2. The Tigers added those players because they signed MLB contracts right away, much like the Brewers did with Weeks as 1992casey previously noted. Any player who signs a MLB deal immediately after being drafted has to be on the 40 man, and I believe that's part of the reason Weeks was rushed. I still have a hard time believing they signed Porcello, a HS pitcher, to a MLB deal, but to each their own. He's studly, there's no doubt, but if he gets injured they are just flushing money down the toilet.

edit. RyDogg, surgery had nothing to do with the 40 man thing, the Brewers voided his original deal when it was discovered he needed surgery and then resigned him, thus forcing them to add him to the 40 man after his first full season. I'll try to find the exact verbiage as to why and edit again.

edit2. It's because they resigned him for less money than the original deal, making him eligible for the rule 5 draft.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

1. Scarpetta is an excellent prospect at this time

2. The Tigers added those players because they signed MLB contracts right away, much like the Brewers did with Weeks as 1992casey previously noted. Any player who signs a MLB deal immediately after being drafted has to be on the 40 man, and I believe that's part of the reason Weeks was rushed. I still have a hard time believing they signed Porcello, a HS pitcher, to a MLB deal, but to each their own. He's studly, there's no doubt, but if he gets injured they are just flushing money down the toilet.

They did sign him to a major league deal after selecting him around 21st in the draft. He was considered the best high school talent in the draft and fell to signabillity concerns so they used it as a perk. Its a major league deal.

But Scarpetta may be an excellent prospect but it does kind of handicap a team in flexibillity. Im not saying that thats a huge problem but it could be when having to protect potential players from the rule five.

(fixed code --1992)

I know why the Tigers did what they did. The point is that I would hope the Brewers wouldn't assume that kind of risk given the health concerns with young pitchers in general.

Scarpetta on the 40 man is no more limiting than Rogers on the 40 man and while I agree his status limits the organization in a minor way, it is what it is at this point. I wonder if they knew about this rule 5 draft exception when they voided his original contract or if they stumbled across it later. At any rate, it's certainly not the end of the world.

- Plato

- Plato

It means that Scarpetta must be on the big league roster to stay after camp breaks in 2012.

He's going to have to jump a level or split a season at some point, but a progression path of low-A in 2009, high-A / Double-A in 2010, and AAA in 2011 makes sense. Hopefully an introduction to big league ball late in mid-'11, and as noted, up to stay in '12.

In particular, the Brewers were concerned Jack Z. would pluck Cody in Rule 5, but even with his insider knowlege of the situation, having Scarpetta stay on the big league roster all season with the Mariners seemed beyond comprehension, but the Brewers didn't chance it.

Another part of the situation is that because Scarpetta's original deal was broken, he was essentially on a one-year minor league free agent contract last season, and could have made himself a minor league free agent if he so chose this past offseason. Unless there was especially bad blood between the organization and he at this point (unlikely), this would not have happened, but the Brewers took away that option by adding him to the 40-man.

Final note -- when a player signs his first affiliated contract, the team owns that player for seven years if the contract remains unbroken by the player's release. But once it's broken, a player, if fortunate enough to interest another organization, will always be on a single year deal.

Mass... a fountain of wisdom as always, it's actually a little disturbing that he could have been a MiLB free agent.

Here's the original statement I remember from earlier this offseason. The quote pertaining to Scarpetta below.

Scarpetta, 20, was an 11th round pick in 2007 and normally wouldn't have to be protected. But, after signing, his contract was voided because of a pre-existing finger injury. By signing Scarpetta to a different contract, he became eligible for the Rule 5 draft and the Brewers didn't want to lose him.
While Cody was an 11th round selection I believe he was considered 2nd round talent before injuring his finger prior to the draft.

edit. Link to the thread in the MiLB Forum discussing the 40 man additions.

- Plato

- Plato

It means that Scarpetta must be on the big league roster to stay after camp breaks in 2012.

No, Scarpetta will have 4 options. He must be on the big league roster in 2013. Here is the rule that applies to Scarpetta via Cots:

A player may be eligible for a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. (If a player is put on the disabled list after earning 60 or more days of service in a single season, his time on the DL is counted.) The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option.

How could they fear lossing Scarpetta in the rule five if he does not have enough minor league years to therefore being eligable for rule v selection?

He was eligible for the Rule 5 this past season because his original contract was voided. The Rule 5 works off of original contracts, which are usually renewable through six years of minor league service. Since his original contract was voided, he became eligible.

Archived