Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall out 4-6 Weeks with left calf tear

PaulRigdon
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the info on McGehee. I like the sound of his defensive skills. Sounds like a good guy to have on your squad in certain situations. If he can be an above average situational hitter (which the Crew definitely is in need of), sounds like he could be an asset.

Let's stop saying Gamel is Braun.

Gamel's fielding took a huge step forward in 2008. His fielding percentage at Huntsville was .918. Braun's fielding percentage at Huntsville in 2006 was .869.

Now .918 still isn't good, but if he continues to progress, it's not that far from acceptable if he hits. I heard Bill Melton on Chicago radio the other day talking about how bad Robin Ventura was defensively when he came out of Oklahoma State. Ventura made 25 errors his rookie year with the Sox and fielded a mediocre .939. The next year he won a Gold Glove, his first of 5. I'm not saying Gamel will ever win a gold glove, but to judge him primarily on one season of minor league ball where he made a bunch of errors is shortsighted.

There are many instances where 3rd basemen started off with very poor defensive reputations and turned into fine players. Mike Schmidt won 10 gold gloves but 5 times he had 23 or more errors in a season. Eddie Mathews was considered a butcher early in his career but he turned himself into a solid player there. Bottom line is, it's a tough position and even the best are going to make errors but the more experience one gets, usually the better one gets there.

Let's stop saying Gamel is Braun.

I don't think you can strictly use minor league stats to prove anything in regards to defensive abilities. Gamel has improved and is improving, but I think he'd be a below average MLB fielder this year from what I've seen. He's close and IMO he'll be fine. I just don't want to be sitting here a year from now hearing the Brewers traded Mat or some other position player because they're not sticking with him at 3b.

ILuvDaBush[/b]]I was thinking more along the lines of Vinny Rottino/Mike Lamb. He's a Minny Latino.

Thank you for making me chuckle.

As for Gamel's defense. Are there any scouting reports that indicate he has the ability to become at least an average defensive third baseman? I am warming up to the idea of giving him a shot this year over Hall, as long as he continues to show improvement on D and can hit well enough. If he's reaching his limits at third, than I would say absolutely not given the rest of the infield (except Hardy), as well as the pitching staff.

Slimmed-down Hall eyeing redemtion

Its absolutly huge news that Hall got himself back in shape. It was pretty obvious that he hasn't been the same player physically he was in 2006. He has been both heavier and significantly slower. Hall was once fast, and I'm guessing his swing was once much quicker too.

The absolute best case scenario at 3B is to have anything close the the 2006 version of Bill Hall playing there. That player will would give us a top notch 3B through 2010.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If you are hoping for 2006 Hall you are going to be disappointed. Heck even 2005 Hall isn't all that likely since he probably isn't a .290 hitter. I think you can hope for a .270 AVG and mid teens HR with an OPS of maybe .800 if he sits against some righties. That is most likely Hall's upside.

His downside is below replacement level vs RH.

I think you can hope for a .270 AVG and mid teens HR with an OPS of maybe .800 if he sits against some righties. That is most likely Hall's upside.

Mid teen HRs? He did that the last 2 years while playing overweight and blind, He has huge power when he's right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived