Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall out 4-6 Weeks with left calf tear

PaulRigdon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Brewers:

3B Bill Hall was diagnosed today with a partial tear of the left calf. He suffered the injury while conditioning on his own yesterday.

Hall is expected to miss 4-6 weeks as he undergoes rehabilitation.

Man. Wish dude would have taken the 1980's John Kruk approach to training. "Drank beer, watched TV."

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Is this 4 to 6 weeks of the regular season or of the spring season? If its of the spring its no huge deal. Let him rehab while Gamel, Counsell, McGeehee all get some extra reps in.

If its of the season (which I dont think it is) why not give Gamel a taste?

Still wish we had signed Crede with Hall as a utility man and insurance for when Crede gets hurt.
Technically I suppose Doug still could since Crede remains unsigned I believe, where he would get the money to do would be a huge question mark though
Yeah, he allegedly wants $7 million. (Not that he's going to get it, though.)

This is a good break (er, tear?) for Mat Gamel for sure. He was already going to get a lot of work and a long look by the Brewers in spring, and now he's gonna get even more work and even a longer look.

That said, I hope he starts the year in AAA. A McGehee/Lamb platoon wouldn't be a terrible thing for a few weeks if Hall needs some rehab time at the beginning of the season.

It's fun to be talking about real on-field baseball events again, even though it means Bill Hall is injured.

My brother in the Milwaukee area just said Homer was saying we reacquired Joe Dillon as a result of Hall getting hurt...can't find anything online to confirm that. My brother is a big Dillon fan for some reason, so maybe it is wishful thinking or a joke by Homer?

I'd guess McGahee makes the opening day roster and platoons w/ Lamb. Billy will probably need some extended spring training to get up to speed after he's healed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My brother in the Milwaukee area just said Homer was saying we reacquired Joe Dillon as a result of Hall getting hurt...can't find anything online to confirm that. My brother is a big Dillon fan for some reason, so maybe it is wishful thinking or a joke by Homer?

Homer is a big Dillon fan. He refers to him as Marshall Dillon. Probably just wishful thinking on Homer's part.

I hope this doesn't mean that Gamel gets rushed along. I got the feeling that Macha was going to start Hall without a platoon. I would hate to use a year of service time because of this.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Homer is a big Dillon fan. He refers to him as Marshall Dillon. Probably just wishful thinking on Homer's part.

I hope this doesn't mean that Gamel gets rushed along. I got the feeling that Macha was going to start Hall without a platoon. I would hate to use a year of service time because of this.

This isn't bad for Gamel, it's good for Gamel. It's spring training. Macha was going to have to find a way to play 4 different guys there this spring and that's not counting Counsell. There aren't enough split squad games to do that. Now it's a more manageable 3 guys (McGehee, Lamb and Gamel). By the time Hall's back, the minor league teams will be playing games. If Hall's not ready to start the season, McGehee will unless of course Gamel blows everybody away in camp and if he's ready to take over, that's a plus for this team because he's a lefthanded bat.

Where it's bad is they won't have the opportunity to stick Hall out in the OF to help out an area that's very thin. If Cameron went down, I'd want an alternative to Gwynn and Duffy and that guy is Hall.

Never said it was bad for Gamel. It is almost always best for players to get their 6 years of mandatory service time out of the way as soon as possible so they cam become free agents. I think it would be best for the Brewers to leave him in the minors until he is ready to play average or better defense at the MLB level. I think that he needs a year in the minors to either improve at 3B or learn a different position.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is definitely too bad. I was really hoping Hall could have a nice comeback year. Not a good start to that, assuredly.

At this point if our options are a McGehee/Lamb/Counsell platoon, I'd rather see what Gamel has. I guess it is good that it's still early so there is some time to see how things shake out.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived