Brewer Fanatic

"Don't be like Mike" night at the Admirals

jlau20

Absolutely love it.

Jim Rome talked about it, and it's a feature story on Yahoo.com's sport tab LINK

I think they walked a fine enough line of humor

My favorite part is that you only get a discount if you won a gold medal, they still want their two bucks

Smart move by them to not give away "water tubes" like102.1 has been doing in their BE like Mike weekend.

It seems like a promotion that was made by and for 14-year olds.

And I'm not sure that I'd want my business to make it's hay from mocking people (in this case, Phelps).

But. . .it's just minor league hockey, so I guess whatever fills the building.

This couldn't have been better timing. I just legally changed my name to Weed Chong McBong.

They could have done this without the weed wacker, the silly names, and without the 420 bit. A DARE campaign relating to this is one thing, the carnival side show is almost promoting smoking the happy hay.

I don't have my DARE certificate as I am pretty sure I rolled a joint with it in high school and smoked it.

But to the story - it is perfect for minor league sports. They generated tons of new with it and that is the point. Personally, if you have issue with it I think you need lighten up. The Admirals struggle to get an ounce of news coverage and with one press release and promotion they generated more attention than they ever have in their history. Plus, poking fun at pot is no big deal.

It's now the lead story on Deadspin this morning.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

It sounds like the type of thing that I'd look back on with disappointment (and not just because it involves hockey).

Let me know when they get around to Veeck-level insanity. Midgets won't work in Hockey; I want Sumo goalies!

My friend and I discussed in length at an Admirals game we went to a few weeks back.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think it's pretty funny. It's minor league hockey - I'm glad they don't take themselves too seriously.

But this caught my eye:

if the Admirals score with 4:20 left on the clock in any period one lucky fan will win a season ticket for the 2009-10 season. The number 420 is often known as the police code for illegal drug use.

Is this really the police code for weed? I thought the whole 4:20pm thing started at some california high school back in the 70's.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Is this really the police code for weed? I thought the whole 4:20pm thing started at some california high school back in the 70's.

The kids in California is the correct answer. It is just some random time they met that happened to be after school. Nothing more.

Archived