Brewer Fanatic

Buying a new grill

Time for a Miller

I've been given the go ahead to purchase a grill somewhere between the 350$-500$ range. I want a gas one, with a side burner, and enough room to cook beer but chicken in it.

I was thinking about going with this http://www.homedepot.com/...10000003+500349+10401016.

Let me know if you've seen any other good deals on grills.

A gas grill does not = grilling. It's an outdoor stove top.

Weber. Charcoal. End of discussion.

Queue highlifevoice.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

A gas grill is grilling because there is direct contact between the flame and food - and less carcinogens. I would always suggest owning both. There is no way I'm waiting for coals after work, but it's nice once and a while.

A gas grill does not = grilling. It's an outdoor stove top.

Bonus if you don't use lighter fluid. A gas grill isn't much different than cooking on the stove with the windows open.

Don't agree in the slightest

I have both a gas and charcoal grill, i use both depending on the circumstances. If i'm going out somewhere to say a picnic, it's summer/spring, or making a steak, i almost always use the charcoal grill because the taste is better. That said, i often just feel like making a burger or two, a piece of chicken or two, a piece of fish etc and with it being cold as hell for many months, no way i'm wasting the time to hassle with getting the charcoal grill going for just a burger or two.

I go outside my patio door even in very cold weather and turn on the gas grill, a few minutes later the food is ready to go on. With all the drippings on my gas grill, burgers/chicken/fish/brats taste vastly better than anything made on a stove in a frying pan. The taste isn't quite as good as a charcoal grill, but far superior to a frying pan. Given how much i prefer meat grilled, gas grills are a godsend for me when i'm in a hurry, to lazy to get charcoal going, or when the weather sucks. In fact, just a few days ago it was cold/raining and i made some fish for me and my kid on the gas grill, it tasted outstanding and the whole process was done start to finish in 15 minutes at most.

If you happen to have a house that has an outside gas valve, make sure to buy a grill that has the converter already built-in. It will cost a bit more, but having to put on a converter after-market (you basically have to take the grill apart) sucks. Plus with direct connection to the gas line you never have to worry about refilling the tank or running empty - nothing sucks more than running out of gas halfway through grilling. Especially if you're grilling beer-butt chicken - that takes over an hour so you better have plenty of gas.

Oh, and it's well worth the money to buy it pre-assembled. That's a royal pain too because you can never figure out the hieroglyphics they use for instructions.

If you've got the time, but during the week after a long day at work the difference in time has a lot of value. But for weekends, yes - charcoal.

Don't worry about putting the grill together. I am sure you have a brother or other family member who will help put it together for a steak and a quality 6-pak of beer.(preferably New Glarus Crack'd Wheat) Of course you might have to feed your brother's kids that night as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Don't worry about putting the grill together. I am sure you have a brother or other family member who will help put it together for a steak and a quality 6-pak of beer.(preferably New Glarus Crack'd Wheat) Of course you might have to feed your brother's kids that night as well.
I got just the brother for that, only he eats like a family of 5.

For my humble being, the taste is so much better with charcoal. If I'm going to spend the time playing with the fire, I'm doing charcoal. Light it, go back inside, come out when it's ready.

Until last year I would have been right there with you. I had a cheaper Char-broil gas grill and a standard Weber charcoal grill and I always used the Weber. Last Spring, I bought the Weber Genesis Gas Grill and I can't taste the difference. Definitely worth the extra money.

http://www.homedepot.com/...+501047+90401+501047+2080

For those that don't like waiting for charcoal to get ready I recommend this grill

http://www.homedepot.com/...10053&productId=100022174

My gf bought me one for my birthday a couple years ago and it works really well. The gas ignition gets the charcoal going quickly, run the gas burner under the charcoal for about 5 minutes and turn off. Let the coals warm for another 15 and it's 500 degrees in that thing and ready to go.

To me, taking the time to light the charcoal is the best. It's a time where I can relax a bit. Sit down in a lawn chair, crack open a beer, maybe have the Brewer game on the radio (even though it will be much different without Powell), smell the charcoal burning...nothing like it. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to watch my kids play outside and allows me to play with them a bit too. When I am rushed to do stuff all day, lighting my charcoal grill gives me a reason to sit back and relax.
Follow me on Twitter

When I am rushed to do stuff all day, lighting my charcoal grill gives me a reason to sit back and relax.

My brother-in-law has said the same thing. I don't mean to offend you. I think it is sad when people think they need a reason to just sit back and relax every now and then. You can do all that stuff you talked about either way.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My brother-in-law has said the same thing. I don't mean to offend you. I think it is sad when people think they need a reason to just sit back and relax every now and then. You can do all that stuff you talked about either way.
What I said is not what I intended. I'm not consciously looking for reasons to relax. My point would have been made more clearly if I had said, "it provides me with a great way to relax after a long day" or "I find it to be a relaxing end to my day."
Follow me on Twitter

I understand the time concerns, but if I have time concerns I just make something inside.

For my humble being, the taste is so much better with charcoal. If I'm going to spend the time playing with the fire, I'm doing charcoal. Light it, go back inside, come out when it's ready.

If it's eight degrees outside and all i want to make is a single burger, piece of marinated chicken, or grilled fish, i'm not going to hassle with getting my charcoal grill going. There are enough times where i'm making multiple burgers, some steaks, or a package of brats, then usually it's worth getting the charcoal grill going. One or two burgers/piece of fish, no way, especially in crappy weather.

I love the taste of grilled food so i always have burgers in the freezer, fish in the freezer, or marinated chicken in single helping size. Except for during big snow storms, i grill food usually 1-3 times a week. I even love taking lunch meat from the deli and putting it on the grill with some bacon. If though i want to quickly/easily put a handful of say deli sliced ham/turkey/chicken on the grill for a sandwhich, no way i'm spending all that time getting my charcoal grill hot for just that. Instead, i go turn on the gas grill and a minute later my deli meat or burger patty is on the grill and later toast the bun. I'm already done eating by the time charcoal would still be heating up with much less hassle and the taste is far better than anything i'd have made on the stove, plus no dishes to clean.

It's was a beautiful invention for someone like me who loves grilled fod as much as i do, same for my kid. When i only had a charcoal grill, i grilled out far less, especially in winter. Gas grills have allowed me to get that grilled flavor on so many more things. Since getting my gas grill, i almost ever make any meat in a frying pan anymore unless it's something that has to be. Hell, i've even heated up leftovers on the gas grill because it's just so easy and hassle free to use, especially in bad weather.

If it's eight degrees outside and all i want to make is a single burger, piece of marinated chicken, or grilled fish, i'm not going to hassle with getting my charcoal grill going. There are enough times where i'm making multiple burgers, some steaks, or a package of brats, then usually it's worth getting the charcoal grill going. One or two burgers/piece of fish, no way, especially in crappy weather.
I agree completely, in those situations, i simply cook inside on my foreman(which i have found compares very nicely with most gas grills i have used). Otherwise, it's all charcoal for me. I guess i concider it more of a challenge to cook on a charcoal grill. With gas, you simply turn it to whatever temp you want, and cook. With something similar to a weber, it's almost a feel you get, the pride of maintaining the fire and keeping it just right. You just know when the grill is ready(and yes, i know there are charcoal grills with temp gauges on em, i don't count those as challenging in the least), that, and of course to me it simply tastes better on a charcoal grill.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I have 2 grills. A big Weber that rarely sees any use, and a Bar-Be-Cook that I use constantly. The Bar-Be-Cook is all stainless, uses lump charcoal, and no lighter fluid. You put a little newspaper in the center leg, light the paper, close the lid, and 15 minutes later you're ready to cook. We call it "Univac," because it looks like the robot that tried to steal George Jetson's job. It's 10 years old now, and still in perfect condition. I imagine it will outlive me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/DanAuctions4u/posting/223875000.jpg

Archived