Brewer Fanatic

Composite Prediction Thread

Darnell Junior
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looper going official, Gagne's minor league deal and the fact they seem to be willing to add at least a little bit more salary has upped my prediction to 88 wins instead of 86. Also my prediction on the Cubs has gone down a couple games given some research I've done for my fantasy leagues. I don't think they have a single starting pitcher that is actually trustworthy this season so I'm expecting 2-3 of them to get hurt or regress majorly at this point so we'll pick up an extra win against them.

I will say 85-77, with no playoffs. C.C. and Sheets leaving is going to hurt our pitching obviously, but we are not really that far from where we were pitching wise at the start of last year, and our pen is better. We will not however be able to duplicate a deal like the Sabathia trade mid season. Our offense will be improved though since everyone but Hardy hit below their projected lines.

All it would take for the Brewers to make the playoffs would be Gallardo, and Parra pitching 180+ innings, our offense performing like they are capable of, with a player or two breaking out, and the most important thing is just to stay healthy. Or the Cubs could tank it, and we win the division with around 85 wins.

85-77 seems about right with this current team. I think Gallardo/Parra will be fine, but I'm not entirely confident that Macha will be much better than Yost, and those last few weeks are scary (lots of games against the Cubs and Phillies). I think they start the season a little slow against tough opponents like the Cubs, Mets, and Phillies, but slowly crawl back into things in the middle months.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I am leaning toward 83-79.

I saw the Foxsports Power Rankings today and saw the Brewers ranked 19th to start the season behind the Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Braves, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Marlins, Astros, and Dodgers in the National League.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

haha, that has to be the worst list I've ever seen. The fact he thinks Ibanez is an upgrade over Burrell making the Phillies better this year is really laughable. The fact he thinks the Astros are better than the Brewers is even more so.

I knew people would get a kick out of the rankings. I forgot about the Burrell comment, I laughed when I read for the first time. I also like his comments about the Cardinals and Astros. Basically the Cardinals did nothing but Carpenter may be back so they could win 90 and the Astros needed pitching so they got Hampton and Ortiz (improvement?) Meanwhile the Brewers need pitching- no mention of Gallardo but hey Hoffman apparently sucks?

My prediction is 89-73. A month ago I thought they were going to be hovering around .500, but I love the Gagne and Looper signings. We might not have an amazing starting rotation or bullpen, but we certainly have depth now. An injury or 2 will no longer sink us.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I am leaning toward 83-79.

I saw the Foxsports Power Rankings today and saw the Brewers ranked 19th to start the season behind the Phillies, Mets, Cubs, Braves, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Marlins, Astros, and Dodgers in the National League.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

Honestly, who is the guy that wrote that? His name sounds fake. Clearly he is an idiot.

84-78.

I could potentially see us finishing under .500 if the pitching falls apart or some guys unexpectedly regress, but provided we have average injuries and ineffectiveness I think 84 wins isn't impossible to ask.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Wow... getting more optimistic by the day... especially post #37... 100-62 (that might be something a little more than optimistic).

Brewerfan Prediction Averages

Prediction Type Wins Losses Games Played
MEAN: 87.06 74.89 161.94
MEDIAN: 86 76 162
MODE: 88 74 162
BEST: 100 62 162
WORST 80 82 162

79-83

I am concerned on the strength of the starting rotation as it pertains to its youth. I could see the Brewers being competitive through and past the all-star break, but then when the dog days of August come around, the young anchors of the rotation will get tired and like last years results with Parra, we will have to worry about the same with not only Manny again, but Yo as these guys just don't have the innings built up on their arms. They could swing a trade to add another starter at that point, but it is tough to predict that now. If Suppan has periods where he gets rocked relentlessly all the way to the DL with "arm soreness" that could be three starters (Gallardo, Parra, Suppan) that might be in trouble for the stretch drive.

The only way I see this team getting to the playoffs, is players like Weeks, Hall, and Hart having much better years, and the main offensive core in Fielder and Braun do what they do- mash the ball. I also think Dave Bush needs to be a "Ryan Dempster" surprise and become a defacto #1a or #2 starter to take the heat off of a young Gallardo. Also in the back of my mind is that terrible month long offensive slump that the team had down the stretch again.

Sorry to be a bit pessimistic, but hey, we do have a very nice bullpen!!!

Archived