Brewer Fanatic

Roy Oswalt

Apparently the Mets have contact Houston about Oswalt, and he gave some indication he may be willing to waive his no trade clause. He certainly qualifies as a difference maker and though I'm not one for targeting starting pitching with this team he's fairly attractive. It's probably unrealistic because of his salary anyway. I did take a look and I think that Roy's days as a top flight starter are coming to an end relatively soon his K rate has dropped all but one year since 2001 and his K/BB rate his generally ticked up. This year he seems to have made some adjustment to his walk rate to actually boost his K/BB rate for this year only. At his current pace of decline he'd be an almost sure bet to have a K rate under 6/9innings next year which puts him into the average range of starting pitching.

Without consulting recent stats, I'd have a very hard time calling Oswalt "average" since year in, year out he is a sub 3.00 ERA pitcher...

However, I realize that might be more perception than reality and he is starting to age a bit... that and the Astros are old and plain "bad"...

Didn't he just sign around a 6 year Megadeal relatively recently or is that a couple years old already?

Oswalt is signed through 2011. He would be our 2nd best pitcher, but Igor is right in that he appeares to be declining. He is definately worth keeping an eye on. Here is his page at MLB4U.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

He's still a good pitcher, but if there got to be a bidding war between teams, I wouldn't want to Crew to give up what it would take to get him. His secondary stats have falling for a few years and you're paying for what he has done, when going forward he looks to regress.

I dunno. He would be a great insurance policy if we lose Sheets to free agency.

And our 2008 staff? Sheets, Oswalt, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva?

Capuano, Hall, Bush, and Inman for Oswalt and Lidge?

Wow.

Quote:
Capuano, Hall, Bush, and Inman for Oswalt and Lidge?

Wow.

Was this serious?

I don't see how giving up two average SP that are still cheap, and a SP prospect that may be great and supercheap for 4-5 years PLUS an above average CF makes any sense at all.

I like Oswalt. I could see a deal where you include Inman & Capuano and some others as something that could work, but I would hate to make the Astros rotation for them considering they are in the division.

I guess it depends on whether you believe you need a second dominant starter to compete in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind having one, but if you can put out a great offense I think you can get by with "decent" starters. Bush, Suppan, and Cappy will keep games close and give the team a chance to win IMO. Sure they won't win any 2-1 games, but in that case I lay the blame on the hitters.

I really like Bush too so I suppose where some may not consider him worth keeping I am big in his corner and see any trade in which he is dealt as a major loss to our rotation.

In general, I simply consider SP too valuable to deal away. Particularly if they are under market-value. Simply "good" starters get Suppan-level deals, the Brewers will never be able to afford 5 of those and you really need 6-7 to sustain your staff through the ravages of injuries. If I am going to deal a good, cheap, durable SP...I want something huge in return. Oswalt is large enough return, but I need more to give up what you listed.

I would offer Gallardo, Zach Jackson, Gwynn and Mench for Oswalt. Maybe too much, but I cant imagine the Astros trading Oswalt within the division without offering a lot. Possibly substitute Villanueva or Bush for Gallardo.

I would be extremely hard-pressed to trade Yovani or Villanueva, but Sheets, Oswalt, Capuano is a dominant 3 for the playoffs (assuming Cappy overcomes his recent struggles).

Not going to happen. Oswalt might be on the block but your not going to trade an ace pitcher to another team in the division when he still has multi years on his contract. Strohs would never do it.

I wouldn't put Gallardo in that trade, despite the fact that I don't see him as a staff ace. Too bad that half the crappy teams that we could actually hope to trade with are in our own division. You can make deals with them but always afraid they will end up biting you later. I think Zach Jackson should be dealt. I don't think he will ever amount to anything. Include him in a deal for Otsuka or Al Reyes.

Archived