Brewer Fanatic

Adam Dunn signs with the Nationals for 2 years/$20 mil

And That

Link to the story.

Let the trade rumors swirl about the Brewers' interest in Dunn at the trade deadline in '10. The money in the deal hasn't been announced yet, but I'm willing to bet the Nats made a pretty nice offer relative to what other guys got this offseason in order to sway Dunn to sign there.

Sorry to dash anyone's hopes of a Braun-Hart-Dunn outfield.

A Braun-Hart-Dunn outfield was exactly what I thought this team needed! Even though it was painfully obvious to everyone all along that the Brewers were never interested in Dunn, I truly feel that this was a huge blown opportunity here. We passed up an opportunity to acquire a left-handed, powerful bat with great on base percentage and we could have probably solidified our outfield for many years to come, all for a below market, reasonable price. I don't know why Melvin didn't make a play for Dunn, especially when he admits many times that we are short on left handed bats. I think it's a shame.

that ^^^ would have been an all-time terrible outfield D. Not what this team needs considering it's pitching staff pitches to contact for the most part.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

The Nats have made some real good moves this offseason. If they were to add Orlando Hudson along with Dunn, look out. That would be one tough lineup especially if Milledge and Dukes take a step forward.

That's not to say they'd be a serious threat in the NL East, but they could well be a wild card factor.

So does this leave the Dodgers with no other choice but to sign Manny?

In a way it may leave Manny with no other choice but to sign with the Dodgers - depends on how you look at it. All these potential teams Boras insists on having shown interest in Manny are signing cheaper players who play similar positions as Manny. The gms of the other big boys in NYC have publicly stated that they're done making offseason moves. What else does that leave for Manny? The Giants, whose best offer won't come close to what LA's already offered, or the Dodgers, who IMO would be better off giving Boras and Manny a deadline to accept any of their previously made offers, or move on without him if he's going to be persistant.

Ok, so now the nationals have Dunn, Willingham, Dukes, Kearns, Willie Harris, Pena, and Milledge for the outfield. I'm assuming one or two of them are available. I wouldn't mind Willie Harris as a bench option, he is a LH bat that can play 2nd and CF/LF.

That's not to say they'd be a serious threat in the NL East, but they could well be a wild card factor.

They still stand virtually no chance at .500 given the rotation. Olsen and Cabrera would have to both break out to get them even close to an average staff.

The Nats have made some real good moves this offseason. If they were to add Orlando Hudson along with Dunn, look out. That would be one tough lineup especially if Milledge and Dukes take a step forward.

Really? You think so? I think the Nationals are a long, long ways off from contention, and signing Dunn could be one of those deals we look back in a year or two and think, "it wasn't a bad deal, but was it really worth the trouble?"

And if the Nationals go cheap in the draft, such as passing on Stephen Strasburg with the #1 overall pick for financial reasons, this signing looks even worse.

As for Milledge stepping forward, he has nearly 900 big-league ABs under his belt now, with roughly the same results throughout his career. I realize he's not even 24 yet with oodles of potential, but similar to Weeks I'm starting to think that he who we think he is (sorry to steal a line from Dennis Green http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif).

I can see why Brewers fans would be bummed not to land Dunn, but I don't think that automatically means this is a good deal for the Nationals.

Even though it was painfully obvious to everyone all along that the Brewers were never interested in Dunn

Bobskube, who seems to have some pretty good insider access (or something close to that) actually indicated that Melvin was in fact interested in Dunn, so you couldn't be more off-base on that. See reply #40 in the locked Abreu transactions forum thread.

I don't know why Melvin didn't make a play for Dunn

No... you don't know if he made a play for him or not.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ok, so now the nationals have Dunn, Willingham, Dukes, Kearns, Willie Harris, Pena, and Milledge for the outfield. I'm assuming one or two of them are available. I wouldn't mind Willie Harris as a bench option, he is a LH bat that can play 2nd and CF/LF.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Brewers trade for a 4th OF that would be better than Gwynn (on the 40-man) or Nixon (not currently on 40 man). The problem is that the Nats are most likely interested in pitching, which the Brewers don't have much of, at least at the starting level. Now, if the Brewers could trade some of their excess bullpen arms for one of the Nats excess OFs, that could work.

Overall, I'd say it's a good signing for the Nats. They need to do something to bring people to the games. Someone who hits 40+ HRs year-in-year-out can help in that regard. Sort of like when the Brewers had Sexson... the team wasn't that good, but at least you might get to see a big HR.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived