Brewer Fanatic

Bob Abreu to Angels 1yr/5mil plus incentives

RyDogg66

Abreu is about 2/3rds of the way to 3,000 hits. Most likely he'll end up like Harold Baines, a few hits shy.

He's averaged 171 hits the last 3 years. He'll make 3000 hits in 7 years if he averages 150 each season. He should make 2500 hits sometime in 2012. By then he'll be right around 600 doubles, 300 homers, 400 stolen bases. A wonderful player, one of the most underrated of his time. Borderline HOF'er.

Unless Abreu gets past 3000 hits, I don't think gets in the Hall of Fame though he's pretty close. According to Bill James' career assessment formula, he has a 16.1% chance to get to 3000.
If only there was some sort of magic pill that could help him prolong his career and strength.

Unless Abreu gets past 3000 hits, I don't think gets in the Hall of Fame though he's pretty close. According to Bill James' career assessment formula, he has a 16.1% chance to get to 3000.

Good deal for the Angels, as long as he doesn't have to play in the field too much.

Jim Rice just got in with 2,452 hits. Abreu has a higher lifetime BA than Rice .300 to .298 and a career OBP more than 50 points higher than Rice and figures to pass his hit and RBI totals. It would be a long shot for Abreu to pass Rice in HR, as he trails by 141 but I don't think he needs 3,000 hits.

The big stat in Abreu's favor is 6 straight years of 100+ RBI and 10 straight years of 98 or more runs scored. If he reaches 9-10 straight 100+ RBI years, he'll have an excellent case for HOF regardless of his hits total. You'd be hard pressed to find any guys with 10 straight 100+ RBI years and a lifetime .300 BA that are not in the HOF.

This is an absolute steal for the Angels. Some of you guys that talk like he's decrepit at 35 are the same ones that think Cameron at 36 is still worth $10 million. Abreu still stole 22 bases last year and played in 156 games.

This is an absolute steal for the Angels. Some of you guys that talk like he's decrepit at 35 are the same ones that think Cameron at 36 is still worth $10 million. Abreu still stole 22 bases last year and played in 156 games.
while i agree this is a good deal for the angels, you really can't compare the value of abreu and cameron. abreu was +22.7 on offense last year but -25.2 on defense. cameron was +10.3 on O and +9.7 on D. throw in the fact that cameron can play anywhere in the outfield and abreu should barely be allowed out there and i can't imagine you think the two have equal value. oh wait, i forgot, cameron only strikes out and hits meaningless homers.

Jon Heyman noted that Abreu is the only player in Major League history with a .300 career BA, .400 career OBP, 200 HR, and 300 SB, saying that Bonds and Henderson nearly made that "club" but failed to hit .300 lifetime. I think he'll be remembered as a pretty well-rounded hitter, but not necessarily the kind of guy you'd fear....I'd say no to the HOF, but who really knows who the voters will consider "worthy" of votes from this era.

Good signing for the Angels, though. He'll provide some much-needed OBP in the middle of that lineup.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Thank you crewcrazy. Jon Heyman is the same guy who called Abreu's defensive deficiencies way overblown. Heyman contends, that because his one big problem (fear of the wall) was combined with the glare of playing for the Yankees and their many outrageous fans, that his overall defense was ignored. He still has a very good arm and he can still run and he made only 2 errors in 2008. Heyman also contends that one reason Abreu has not seen a DL in 13 years is because he's not reckless in the field. According to Heyman that costs his team a half dozen doubles that should be outs over the course of the year but considering Abreu is on pace to end up in the top 5 or 10 in career doubles himself, it's not a bad tradeoff.

Abreu doesn't compare to Cameron because he absolutely kills you in the field. It only makes sense that he wound up on an AL team, and I think he's a decent fit & signing for LAA.

Jon Heyman is the same guy who called Abreu's defensive deficiencies way overblown.

Then I seriously disagree with Jon Heyman. I watched the Yankees a lot last season. Abreu is a very, very bad fielder.

EDIT: I'm not claiming to be some expert. It's just not hard to see how bad he is defensively.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jim Rice just got in with 2,452 hits. Abreu has a higher lifetime BA than Rice .300 to .298 and a career OBP more than 50 points higher than Rice and figures to pass his hit and RBI totals. It would be a long shot for Abreu to pass Rice in HR, as he trails by 141 but I don't think he needs 3,000 hits.

Abreu will probably be kept out of the hall of fame because of the era he played in. In the 70's and 80's Rice was a monster with the numbers he put up. He was in the top 5 for MVP 6 times in his career. Abreu was never in the top 10. As Rodriguez, Bonds, and Clemens have proved to us. All Era's are not created equally and probably shouldn't be judged equally. I am not saying Abreu took steroids, however if Conseco's guess in Juiced that 75% of the players were taking performance enhancers is true, I would put alot of money that Bobby Abreu was one of the players that took enhancers

Yep. Angels got a steal. And they play in the AL so they can hide his defensive shortcomings as a DH. If the Brewers could have gotten a stud pitcher in return for Hart I would have loved for the Brewers to make that deal.

So whose the worst fielder of this trio: Pat Burrell, Abreu, or Dunn?

Last year it was Abreu, in general I'd say Burrell. As for Abreu vs Cameron, Cameron is easily the better player and it isn't really that close. However Abreu at $5M might be better than Cameron at $10M, with that large of a price gap it becomes much harder to judge. However I cannot stress the fact that Cameron is a better player than Abreu right now, if you think otherwise you really need to re-evaluate how you judge players.

Archived