Brewer Fanatic

Sportscenter: 3 up/3 down

Jofis11ep

Aside from the Yankees, I think the Nats had the best offseason. They fleeced the Marlins for Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham, and added a booming bat in Adam Dunn in the middle of the order. They also re-signed their number 3 starter from last year for a minor league contract.

As for the Brewers for the 2nd straight offseason Melvin failed to add a lefthanded bat to the everyday lineup when there was a big group of qualified FA candidates out there. I know I get clobbered every time I bring up Cameron, but my main problem with him is that as good as he is, for 2 years he's been the primary reason they don't have a compliment to Fielder from the left side. Last year ok, there wasn't much to choose from so Melvin got the best guy he could get regardless of which side they hit from.

But this offseason he had two chances to clear room to get a big lefty bat either by not picking up a big option on Cameron or dealing him to the Yankees. He did neither.

To compensate, Melvin now has a bench of all lefthanded hitters aside from backup catcher. How that balances out an everyday lineup with 7 righthanded bats most of whom are similar in that they have trouble getting a runner in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, I don't know.

Archived