Brewer Fanatic

Bush to Braves Rumor

How would adding Otsuka and moving Villanueva into the rotation "leave an enormous hole in our bullpen"??

On the contrary, replacing a 5 inning pitcher (Vargas) with a guy who could occasionally go 7, helps the bullpen.

Besides, isn't Gallardo still out there if you need multiple innings?

Just swap out Spurling for Balfour, and your pen would be Gallardo, Wise, Balfour, Otsuka, Shouse, Turnbow, and Cordero with Parra and Thatcher up Sept. 1 to give you a full complement of lefties.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've seen a few comments that Salty is either not living up to his hype, or is not as good as people had heard he was.

He's 22, and putting up an .850 OPS in his first 100 major league at bats.

Has Ryan Braun skewed people's ability to rationally project what rookie hitters should be capable of?

Did anybody notice that Rottino started the AAA all star game behind the plate? I certainly did.

i would think that means that Vinny has caught alot of games in AAA this year. If he improves his defense, he's our future starting catcher. Maybe even a back up in September.

I think that I would agree with those that say that this is a pretty good deal for the Brewers if it is indeed true...when you don't consider that there is a potential playoff race coming up in a couple months. I don't think anyone would disagree that Bush is a roughly average ML starter that may improve but most certainly doesn't have the kind of stuff to become a top-of-the-rotation guy - certainly he's not immune to being traded. I think if this deal is indeed on the table that it would essentially hinge on whether or not Melvin believes that Parra or Balfour are ready to be productive in a major league bullpen, since they can't afford to let a young pitcher take his lumps at this time. Also whether or not they believe Gallardo is ready for increased workload yet. Clearly it would be preferred to limit his innings, but if offered a good deal maybe it's not an absolute necessity. And I don't think there is any concern that Villy would be ready to jump into the rotation full-time.

One possibility to consider is that maybe they would be willing to put Gallardo in the rotation and take their chances on whether a significant jump in innings would indeed harm him long-term...maybe they'd be willing to take that chance if they believe they have a real shot at a championship this year and that Salty would help with that.

And as far as playing outfield, if he's a good enough athlete (which he would seem to be, albeit from a limited exposure to seeing him play) maybe they could put him in Nashville for a few weeks for a crash course on outfield play to at least make him adequate out there. Then they bring him up if Mench is dealt or they need another bat on the bench.

I'd love to add salty.

he never played first base before last month.

his calling ticket to the majors was supposed to be his catching ability, not his hitting ability.

bush for salty would be a tremendous long term hoist, although it doesn't do much for the brewers this year.

Having both estrada and salty would be nice depth for an off season trade.

Quote:
I think if this deal is indeed on the table that it would essentially hinge on whether or not Melvin believes that Parra or Balfour are ready to be productive in a major league bullpen, since they can't afford to let a young pitcher take his lumps at this time.

I think that is half of it, but the deal also hinges on whether Melvin has full confidence in Vargas. My guess is he doesn't, and neither do I, so that is why I keep Bush. I assume one of the reasons Atlanta is attracted to Bush is because he'll be very cost effective for a few more years. I'd be more interested in dealing Capuano than Bush, as he's more expensive, and has struggled in the portion of season we're now entering.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I say hogwash to those who think it's worth trading bush for saltalamacchia. It won't happen because melvin is smarter than that. I know I'm certainly underwhelmed by the rumored deal. Send em vargas and something else if the brewers really want or need him.

Look at his K/9, BB/9 and his FIP. I think he'll recover as he has begun doing as of late. He's 27, he's got a rubber arm. Some are vastly undervaluing him.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if the offense backs him up in the second half(around 4 runs per), he'll be second in wins among our starters behind sheets in the second half.

While I like Bush as much as the next guy I am beginning to wonder if he is one of those bad luck guys. His numbers will always look better than he actually is. One year is just fluke. Two years is the start of a bad trend.

Last year he wasn't that unlucky. And this year is only half over. I'm looking for him to have a big second half.

Quote:
Anyways i posted on a Braves Forum, and they seem to think he's worth Gallardo, another said Gallardo and Hart. i think they are just asking to much. Thoughts????

What, are they trying to get back at Wisconsin for the Brett Favre trade?

Archived