Brewer Fanatic

Tejada in big trouble

Teatoe993

I know that there are people you disagree with this, but I can not believe how much baseball is put under the microscope compared to other sports. I'm not saying that anyone should get off free when they lie to congress. I just can't recall any NFL or NBA players who have had to testify before congress or a grand jury.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I know that there are people you disagree with this, but I can not believe how much baseball is put under the microscope compared to other sports. I'm not saying that anyone should get off free when they lie to congress. I just can't recall any NFL or NBA players who have had to testify before congress or a grand jury.
It's because of baseball's deal with the devil and getting that anti-trust exemption all those years ago.

While I completely agree with you here, maybe if baseball players would, I dont know, start telling the truth and/or stop using illegal drugs Congress would go away.

RyDogg66[/b]]
Patrick425[/b]]I know that there are people you disagree with this, but I can not believe how much baseball is put under the microscope compared to other sports. I'm not saying that anyone should get off free when they lie to congress. I just can't recall any NFL or NBA players who have had to testify before congress or a grand jury.

While I completely agree with you here, maybe if baseball players would, I dont know, start telling the truth and/or stop using illegal drugs Congress would go away.

I guess my point was that athletes in other sports are never asked the question, so they never have to tell the truth. No one seems to question the 260LB linebacker than can run a 4.4 40. The problem is that the evidence is so clear in baseball. When guys are hitting 60 Hrs at the age of 37 and guys that use to top out at 20 to 25 Hrs are suddenly hitting 40 - 50, it's becomes pretty clear what is happening. Football does not really have telling stats like this and so those who do not get caught are never really questioned.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

We can argue all day whether it was fair that the government would ask them questions in the first place. But when the government does ask you a question, and you lie, and you face the fall out from that. I feel no sympathy. Who ever it is deserves nothing but what is coming to them in that situation.

We can argue all day whether it was fair that the government would ask them questions in the first place. But when the government does ask you a question, and you lie, and you face the fall out from that. I feel no sympathy. Who ever it is deserves nothing but what is coming to them in that situation.
I agree completely. However, I think all sports should fall under the same scrutiny and that there should be a standard drug testing policy across all sports.

He isn't being charged with perjury, he wasn't under oath. Also, he's being charged because he didn't snitch on other players. Despicable move by the government. I applaud Tejada for not snitching on other people and I hope he still refuses to do so despite these charges.

No other sports get scrutinized to the extent of MLB because they all have random drug testing and rules against performance enhancing drugs. Heck, NFL players can hardly take anything sold at GNC these days and if they test positive, they get suspended.

He isn't being charged with perjury, he wasn't under oath.

Semantics - he lied to congress - that's a no-no. As others have said, we can argue until we're blue in the face about what right Congress had to ask those questions, but he broke the law when he lied.

If people want to make him a martyr because he didn't rat out others, fine. But the fact is that he broke the law, and there are consequences.

I am nearly positive that anytime that you testify before Congress you are under oath, and thus subject to perjury charges if caught in a lie. It would really seem to invite a lot of meaningless testimony if that wasn't a built in normality for any hearing that Congress conducts.

The alleged lying wasn't during testimony in front of congress, it was during preliminary questioning by congressional staffers and Tejada wasn't under oath. It's not perjury and the difference isn't "semantics". However, even if he had perjured himself, I would support that as well. No reason to snitch on your friends, although he probably should have just refused to answer questions rather than lie. Live and learn, I guess.

Archived