Brewer Fanatic

Braden Looper signed: 1 year w/mutual option, worth between $5.5 mil and $12.25 mil; Rottino DFA'd (replies #150/151), will report as long as he isn't claimed (reply #181)

zurch1818
A purely statistical based projection certainly isn't going to capture all the information about a player. That's were scouting and other information comes in. Completely dismissing what a scout brings to the table is about as absurd as claiming a statistical projection is worthless.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know I am unpopular for coming to this post (because this part of the site is the baseball trekkie convention portion of the show) and raining on the parade of true believers, but sorry, it doesn't add up…I say that from a real world perspective
No, you say that from YOUR perspective. It's ok to have that perspective, I just ask that you respect people that differ in opinion from you.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If I recall right, why was Vinny looked at as the 'catcher of the future' last off-season? I believe Melvin made some comment that he could be the guy and thus played catcher in Nashville (instead of rotating positions in the past). Vinny's value to any MLB team will be his ability to play multiple positions. It's almost as if the Brewers hurt his development at other positions by placing him at catcher all year. I'm not as high on Vinny here as some since being from Wisconsin doesn't mean much to me, but if he's used properly (ie a utility man) he still has some value on a MLB roster. I think he's the 'Counsell of the future' and that's not a bad thing. I know not everyone follows the minors around here, but it'll be interesting to see how Nashville uses their position players -- Kremblas was a big fan of getting guys experience at different positions.

Vinny's value to any MLB team will be his ability to play multiple positions. It's almost as if the Brewers hurt his development at other positions by placing him at catcher all year.

If Rottino could be looked at as a true catcher by other clubs, that would make him much more valuable. I can only assume that he's not viewed as a catcher, however.

If Rottino could be looked at as a true catcher by other clubs, that would make him much more valuable. I can only assume that he's not viewed as a catcher, however.

I don't think so. Look at his numbers last year as a catcher...he took a decent decline for a player in their third year (more or less) of AAA ball. If he put up 2006 numbers, we'd probably have threads about him maybe beating out Rivera as the backup catcher.

I'd like to see Rottino tried at 3rd, 2nd, and C this spring. With Salome in AAA, I'd like Vinny to work on being a 25th man. I think he could have lots of value by being at least competent at multiple positions.
It looks like Vinny may clear waivers. If he does, it means 29 other teams really didn't think too much of him either. Has any other players beat these long odds? Yes, but Vinny's chances to succeed here are extremely low unless he explodes this spring training.

I just don't see his value. I mean, look at his AAA stats last year. IMO, I believe Casey Mc. has a far better chance to succeed here (esp with Hall's injury) than Rottino.

It looks like Vinny may clear waivers. If he does, it means 29 other teams really didn't think too much of him either. Has any other players beat these long odds? Yes, but Vinny's chances to succeed here are extremely low unless he explodes this spring training.

I just don't see his value. I mean, look at his AAA stats last year. IMO, I believe Casey Mc. has a far better chance to succeed here (esp with Hall's injury) than Rottino.

Look at his numbers when he wasn't catching. Utility guys are much more likely to clear waivers. I'm sure there are other teams that would want him as depth in AAA. I don't care if Vinny is from Wisconsin or New York, but he does have some value IMO. If the Brewers would've used him as a utility type guy in AAA last year, I think he'd have a great shot at the 25-man since his numbers in the minors have not been bad. He's just not a catcher.

• 2 months later...
Sorry to bump up this thread, but I was just now looking into the terms of Looper's contract. It says that he gets 750,000 for each game started #19-30. 12*.75=9. So if he starts 30 games this year we'd be paying him $13.5 million?!

Looking at the contract at Cots, it looks like the most Looper could make this year would be $6.5m, including buyout. But I don't think that's likely. If he pitches well enough to get 30 starts, I don't see the Brewers buying him out.

So if he starts 30 games this year we'd be paying him $13.5 million?!

No.

As I understand it -- once he starts game #19, he gets a check for $750K

Once he starts game 30, his $6M option for 2010 becomes $6.5M

So the most he makes in 2009 is $4.75 + .75 = $5.5M

If he makes 30 starts and pitches close to what he is now 6.5 million would be a bargain. It would be nice to go into next year with some solid answers in the pitching department. Obviously, he has only had a couple starts but considering he had such little time pitching this spring I am impressed.

If he makes 30 starts and pitches close to what he is now 6.5 million would be a bargain.

Agreed -- now, he can option out as well. If he makes 30 solid starts, he can opt out and tell the Brewers to pound sand. -- If I understand things correctly.

Ahh. That is disappointing because you would have to assume if he does make 30 solid starts he would believe he could get more than a one year deal

I guess I don't understand...what's the point of a mutual option?

With the option, Looper gets extra guaranteed money because of the buyout. However, with the mutual option, the Brewers are off the hook for the buyout if Looper declines from his end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived