Brewer Fanatic

Braden Looper signed: 1 year w/mutual option, worth between $5.5 mil and $12.25 mil; Rottino DFA'd (replies #150/151), will report as long as he isn't claimed (reply #181)

zurch1818

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the D-List, the deal is done and could be announced to today but not official until a physical is done. The ripple effect this signing has on the rotation, the depth and the bullpen is huge, even if Looper is just a 4th/5th starter. Frankly, you cant say that (4th/5th starter) about anyone after Suppan/McClung (i.e. DiFelice, Wright, etc.).

if Randy Wolf got $5mm+incentives, what do you suppose the Looper contract is? $3mm+incentives? That's pretty darn good for a back end of the rotation guy. Especially considering what we're paying Soup.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It is impossible to say whether this is a good deal or bad deal until we see what the contract is. While the Brewers obviously had a very weak back end the rotation, that wouldn't justify overspending for a guy like Looper. If it's a reasonable 1 or 2 year deal, great.

What is the D-List?

If they sign Looper, who do theydrop off their 40 man roster?

I'm thinking there's a medical reason for this about face. Maybe Riske had a setback or maybe one of the starters reported some stiffness. Who knows?

The logical guy to drop from the 40 man is DeFelice. He'd likely clear and be able to be assigned anyway. Another guy who could be dropped is Rottino as he's a big longshot to make the team and is out of options.

Now if they'd only get that bargain bat also.

From TH, in full on caps lock mode:

NEW UPDATE: JUST GOT WORD FROM ONE MORE SOURCE THAT THE LOOPER SIGNING IS GOING TO HAPPEN. POSTING THIS AT 11:26 A.M.

Looks like it's gonna happen. Has to be similar to or less than the Wolf deal, right?

The logical guy to drop from the 40 man is DeFelice.

DiFelice. Would he pass through waivers? I dunno. I'd rather risk losing Gwynn or Rottino.

He may start in the rotation, but he'll probably end up in the pen after looking at his lackluster split away from Busch. Don't count out the bulldog Capuano to take his spot when he eventually regains some semblance of arm health.

And I think the Brewers are positioning themselves to make a move for front of the rotation starting pitcher before the trade deadline again, if they're in striking distance of a playoff spot. They had to like the results last season, teams will be more willing to deal because everyone has hope BEFORE a season, and most importantly Attanasio will only have to pay 1/3-2/5 of the guy's probably substantial salary instead of the full amount in rough economic times. All that matters is a team gets into the playoffs, and it's a new season from there. We witnessed that with the Marlins winning the WS from the Wild Card spot twice, BoSox, Cardinals with 83 wins, etc. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Man I love this move and am now rediculously excited about the upcoming Brewers season. This move and the Chase Wright move were the exact types this team needed. Depth on the big league level and depth in case of injury.

Nice job Doug.

I don't think it's an about face. There wasn't money to make a big move. Signing Looper isn't a big move.

PR-wise, there was no benefit for the Brewers to say they were looking to add a player, because that put's them in a position of need and weakens their position. As it stands, once the Dodgers were removed as an option for Looper to go to, he didn't have many likely destinations. That was the perfect time for Melvin to call Lopper's agent and see if they had dropped their demand for a 2nd guaranteed year. I'm guessing it's a deal for $5M or so with another $1M+ in incentives and a team option for a 2nd year.

It will be a decent depth move, which the Brewers really needed, and the bullpen got stronger with McClung in it.

I would think Wolf has a little more value than Looper because he misses a few more bats, has more starting experience and is lefthanded. It's pretty close though. I'd guess Looper at around $4 million.

It was an about face from the respect they were saying publically they were pretty much done just last week. That's why I have a sneaking suspicion somebody on the roster reported some arm issue.

And I think the Brewers are positioning themselves to make a move for front of the rotation starting pitcher before the trade deadline again, if they're in striking distance of a playoff spot.

Unless there's a huge rift (which there very well may be), I'd make Sheets that pitcher. Step up and pay for the surgery, give Sheets the facilities to rehab, and give him an 100% incentive-laden, 1 year deal. If he's ready to go by July, fantastic, you've just added a top-of-the-rotation starter for the stretch run. If he's rehabbing all year, you're only out the cost of the surgery and let's say minor league pay.

It seems like a win-win deal that's low risk/high reward for the Brewers.

Sorry to hijack the thread. The Looper signing seems solid depending on salary details.

i don't think gwynn can be released. I think Nixon has a great chance to make the 25 man roster which means someone needs to be removed already in the spring. If Gwynn is gone than you are looking at Duffy making it too. This means 2 spots need to be cleared. I agree someone like DiFelice, Rotino, McGehee, or Nelson.

His GB% varies quite a bit for a pitcher, quite odd. That'll be the key to his success as long as his K a BB rates stay consisent like they have the past three seasons. Keep that ball down and he should stay in the lowish 4's and it will be a good season and a good signing.

He may start in the rotation, but he'll probably end up in the pen after looking at his lackluster split away from Busch. Don't count out the bulldog Capuano to take his spot when he eventually regains some semblance of arm health.
He will 100% be a starter. He eats innings and Capuano may be a long shot to start a game this season. There wouldn't really be a need for him in the bullpen. We are actually set there and the pen looks real good.

Starting pitchers

Gallardo

Bush

Parra

Looper

Suppan

Bullpen

Stetter

Riske

Coffey

Villenueva

Julio

DiFelice/Dillard/ Morlan/ Swindle compete for 1 position

McClung

Hoffman

It was an about face from the respect they were saying publically they were pretty much done just last week. That's why I have a sneaking suspicion somebody on the roster reported some arm issue.
I don't expect an arm issue to anyone at all. What a team says publicly shouldn't be taken at face value. I think most here expected the Brewers to add an experienced starter before the season began. Plus, the Brewers never even said they had ruled out signing a pitcher, just that they didn't expect to.

Man I love this move and am now rediculously excited about the upcoming Brewers season. This move and the Chase Wright move were the exact types this team needed. Depth on the big league level and depth in case of injury.

Nice job Doug.

I don't know about being ridiculously excited--I don't think Braden Looper is the puzzle piece that makes this a World Series team--but I am definitely happy to see McClung in the pen and the Brew Crew with some more back-end pitching depth, and think we have a fighting chance to stay in the playoff race long enough to make a splash move similar to last year with CC (if not as large).

Archived