Brewer Fanatic

Former MLB Draft #1 Pick Released/Arrested

BuckyTuba

I love Da Bush, but that Bush, he no good. I always thought he would be a JJ Hardy-type. Cannon at short. Figured he would develop power. Instead, he became a loose cannon. Maybe he can make a Josh Hamilton-type return as a pitcher in a few years. He did have quite the arm, before it blew.

Maybe he can make a Josh Hamilton-type return as a pitcher in a few years.

Bush is done. The difference is that Hamilton was a great talent with a drug problem, and had at least posted an .800+ OPS in the minors. Bush was a complete failure with a bad attitude. You can smooth away the rough edges on a great talent, but what's the point in trying to do it with someone who sucks, unless you're hoping that deep down there's a decent guy with a .500 OPS inside.

Bush is plenty talented, but he's not Josh Hamilton talented. Hamilton had the type of talent coming out of high school that drew raves and comparison to pure athletic talent reserved for players like Griffey, Arod and Justin Upton. Bryce Harper is going to be next in line, already getting the same type of hype as a high school sophomore not eligible for the draft until 2011.

Bush was a bad pick at #1 overall as soon as it happened. BA has talked about this as well, as he was a top 10 talent, but far from a 1/1.

Kind of highlights whats wrong with the MLB draft. Although he probably would have been a first rounder still, possibly a top 10, he was in no way the best player in that draft. San Diego drafted him because they didn't want to pay for one of the best players. How can you consider a draft to be fair when the best players are constantly falling because teams that need the most help can't afford to pay them? Hopefully when the new collective bargaining agreement comes up in a few years the draft is something that gets a strong look as I believe there are 2 or 3 things wrong with it.

Kind of highlights whats wrong with the MLB draft. Although he probably would have been a first rounder still, possibly a top 10, he was in no way the best player in that draft. San Diego drafted him because they didn't want to pay for one of the best players. How can you consider a draft to be fair when the best players are constantly falling because teams that need the most help can't afford to pay them? Hopefully when the new collective bargaining agreement comes up in a few years the draft is something that gets a strong look as I believe there are 2 or 3 things wrong with it.

You mean like how Mario Williams went before Reggie Bush? This happens in all sports' drafts.

The only way the players union will allow for the changes to be made to the drafting process is for the compensation picks that are tied to free agents to be dropped.

You mean like how Mario Williams went before Reggie Bush? This happens in all sports' drafts.

Don't compare Mario Williams to Matt Bush. Mario Williams was considered to be a very, very good player and would have more than likely in the top 5 anyway, quite possibly number 2. Houston didn't draft him because they didn't want to pay Bush, they thought he was a better pick.

The only way the players union will allow for the changes to be made to the drafting process is for the compensation picks that are tied to free agents to be dropped.

I'd be fine with that. The compensation picks are a flawed system anyway, as the Yankees are showing. There needs to be a rookie cap and a world wide draft, then I'd be happy.

Kind of highlights whats wrong with the MLB draft. Although he probably would have been a first rounder still, possibly a top 10, he was in no way the best player in that draft. San Diego drafted him because they didn't want to pay for one of the best players. How can you consider a draft to be fair when the best players are constantly falling because teams that need the most help can't afford to pay them?

You still have to be responsible for taking the right player. The Pirates have also cried poor over the last decade, passing on the likes of BJ Upton, Matt Wieters and others only to see the players they take fall to injury, ineffectiveness, etc. Are the monetary issues forcing the Padres and Pirates to make bad decisions?

The Brewers have been accused of selecting draft picks based on financial reasons. When the Brewers took Prince Fielder there were quite a few people (and still are) that complained that the team passed on Scott Kazmir. Now, you can argue that Kazmir would look a lot better in a Brewers uniform than Prince does all you want, but the fact remains that the Brewers still took a pretty dang good player.

I understand there are some glaring economic inequities, but I listened to Bud and Wendy Selig use them as a crutch for far too long when trying to explain the team's struggles over the years.

I would be down with reworking the FA compensation system, but a world-wide draft? If you slot the draft, then you would miss out on many of the top world players, as I doubt Yu Darvish/Dice-K would want to play for the slot money when they could get exponentially more in their native land.

Drew and Weaver were both Boras clients. Both were considered the top talents in the draft but dropped over bonus/signability issues. Definitely not the type of players the Jack Z Brewers liked to draft.

You have to wonder what the difference is between drafting Jeffress and paying less and waiting longer and drafting one of those two guys and paying more up front but having a quicker mlb impact is.

Bush is plenty talented, but he's not Josh Hamilton talented. Hamilton had the type of talent coming out of high school that drew raves and comparison to pure athletic talent reserved for players like Griffey, Arod and Justin Upton. Bryce Harper is going to be next in line, already getting the same type of hype as a high school sophomore not eligible for the draft until 2011.

Bush was a bad pick at #1 overall as soon as it happened. BA has talked about this as well, as he was a top 10 talent, but far from a 1/1.

yeah he was a signability pick that year has anyone worked out under those circumstances in besides mauer i mean really how long before teams realize going cheap just makes it harder to compete. especially when you have the first pick that player almost always at least spends a couple of seasons in the majors(as long as you go best player available route) unless he's a pitcher who blows out his arm.

here's the problem though those teams can afford to pay them they would just rather overpay for a mediocre free agent the brewers were notorious for this in the mid to late 90's. your far better off just paying for the most talented prospects that's why your seeing more teams just spend the money and build through their farm system they end up paying a much lower payroll at the major league level once those prospects are ready ala the marlins and rays.

Archived