Brewer Fanatic

Worst contracts in MLB History

adamb100

During his reign of terror as Mariners GM, Bavasi had an unprecedented run of bad free-agent signings, bad trades and bad draft picks. Kind of like winning the Triple Crown, except the opposite.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

They forgot to add that the Rangers picked up part of A-rod's contract when they traded him to the Yankees. I think they were still paying in the neighborhood of $7-10M a year until he opted out of his contract.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I thought the Rangers still were paying part of the contract, as technically he never left the Yankees or some sort of legal jargon. Either way, great humor. BTW-imagine again what the Detroit Tigers would look like if JuanGon had accepted the $100+ million contract they tendered him, before turning it down because it didn't provide for his family well enough.

I thought the Rangers still were paying part of the contract, as technically he never left the Yankees or some sort of legal jargon.

That honestly wouldn't make sense if his contract came to an end since he would be a free agent. Here is what Cot's contracts has on it.

* 2008-2010 financial obligations (eliminated if Rodriguez voids):

o NY: $50,695,500 (08:$15.884M, 09:$16.8985M, 10:$17.913M)

o Texas: $21,304,500 (08:$8.116M, 09:$7.1015M, 10:$6.087M)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

No mention of the Andruw Jones deal with the Dodgers? That should have made the Top 10 for sure.

I laughed when I read the Washburn deal to Seattle. To think, I was angry with the Brewers for not making a stronger run at him when he was a FA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If you made a list for the brewers who would be on there? Hammonds, Stubbs, Ben McDonald, Suppan, Higuera (I think he got hurt right after signing)....haven't been too many big name signees to choose from.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

1. Sal Bando. I think he was a free agent when we picked him up. At least Larry Hisle at one great year for the Crew. Bando would up hanging around the front office until he wound up ruining the decade of the 90's for Brewer fans.

2. Teddy H. Agree with Pepsi on this one.(by the way I cant believe he is 50)

3. Jeffery Hammond.

4. Franklin Stubbs

5. Sean Berry

As far as the whole Suppan thing goes , he gets a bad rap because of the large amont. I was not thrilled with the signing espically the amount & number of years. He has been for the most part healthy, going out every 5th day and putting out average to slightly below average numbers. Its not like he is getting blown out every game. Stubbs & Berry put up just horid numbers. While he is not the best free agent signing he would not be in my top 5 worst signings. I think we were looking at Jason Schmidt the same year we signed Suppan. That would have ened up a big bust.

I guess you could say all these long-term contracts are gambles, but Suppan's seemed to be a decent one that doesn't look like it will work out. The fact that the deal was back loaded, with a no-trade clause for the first two years shows they gambled on him being solid to good for two years with the idea of off-loading his 12.5 mil years on some rich club who needed a dependable innings eater. He could still have a good showing before the all-star break as he did in 2006 and get moved or even stabilize the rotation. It's not awful yet--if he ends up the long reliever, then yeah, top 3.

Yeah, if Suppan turns it around and is at least decent for the next season or two, it won't have been a great contract, but not one of the worst ever for the Brewers. I've said it earlier, and I know many on this board will disagree, but I do think there were at least some intangible benefits of the Suppan signing. Mainly it showed the fans that the new owner was serious about spending money and trying to win, and it showed other players that the Brewers were trying to compete and would be a player in the free agent market. Those don't necessarily translate to wins, but I think they do matter from a business standpoint, at least partly.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived